1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT Opinion] The Great Republican Abdication: A party that no longer believes in American values.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MystikArkitect

It’s entirely possible as well. At this point I’m neither liberal nor conservative, but I do feel like the liberal floor for decency is higher than the conservative one by very nature. Liberals don’t give themselves outs like religion and nationalism. It’s just do good things and be stewards of this country and the planet. It’s not that complicated.

Conservatives have just gone in the other direction. Their mantra is solid and has a lot merit at its core. They are better at economic values but believe that it gives them the right to **** over anyone in the process, country included. Meanwhile you distract with crazy theories of Ms13 gangs and Muslim bans and the people that voted for you won’t realize that you’re picking their pocket.

If the Republican Party doesn’t come back down from this lunacy we’re going to head down a really bad path in this country. We can’t continue on like this.

RayRay10 and IVFL like this.
  2. biff17

biff17 Member

Yet you want people to read the stuff you post and get offended when posters point out the authors bias.

Dude really?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

once again biff you're mind-reading. how do you know what I want?

4. biff17

biff17 Member

What?

I have no idea what you are asking, the fact that have the nerve to dismiss a article because of Krugman yet get upset when somebody shows the bias of the numerous articles you post is comical.

What kind reading am I doing?

You are doing the same thing you complain about.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't have time for you today biff. bye.

BruceAndre and cml750 like this.
  6. biff17

biff17 Member

Triggered!

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no, I just sort of put you in the Senator category. sorry.

BruceAndre likes this.
  8. biff17

biff17 Member

So you do have time for me.

Hooray!

#28 biff17, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The nature of unfettered capitalism (or fascism or any totalitarianism) is the pursuit of profit (or control) without regard for fairness or the general welfare In that vein, it is a valid investment principle to influence or control public opinion. Like by surpressing facts, scapegoating, out right lying and forms of propaganda. The difference between liberals and conservatives is the profitability of hiring paid advocates, professional mouthpieces, lobbyist. One side invests in the practice and profits, the other side begs for donations to promote truth.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the duck

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Every single interaction? They KNOW? These are interesting choice of words. I don't doubt you feel that way, but it's technically can't possibly be true. EVERY SINGLE? You know THEY KNOW? Do you feel that ways toward the others? That you despises them and their values... their very way of living and thinking. There is no compromise with it.

You or anyone don't need to compromise your values. But there isn't a need to be hateful, with anger and scorn, resentment toward the people with different values. And no, I'm not talking about racism or bigotry as a value. Those are behaviors, not personal values, although they are linked. So I honestly agree with you there. It's not helpful and does breed more resentment and anger and isolation. I have said before, values should be part of the conversion - at least state what's your values and let it stands and hopefully people can understand it, even if they disagree. Allow space for it to exists. That doesn't happen- often we just talk about stats, science, studies, polls, and so on... which are all important... but not people's values as if those aren't important.

#31 Amiga, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are you saying that liberals don't hire lobbyists to advocate for their preferred policies?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

No, I'm saying lobbying for conservatives is usually intended to return monetary profit to the sponsor. Lobbying for liberals is usually intended to direct policies that do yield monetary gain for their sponsors, like stopping tobacco abuse for an historical example. That gives conservative lobbyist the advantage in speech, if it returns a profit, there's no limit to what the sponsor can invest. Also paid advocates for profit are not usually as limited ethically. The sponsors can more easily remain shielded, behind PAC's and shell corporations. This deniability means their proxies are not beholden to truth and can say anything.

Nolen likes this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I tend to be in your camp otherwise but I disagree with this statement. I know more than a few liberals or so-called moderates who would have normally voted for a Democrat go ahead and vote for Trump because they "just didn't like Hillary".

Granted, I was aghast: "You 'just don't like Hillary' but you have no objections to Donald Trump?" I stopped short of adding, "So, is it that you don't know how to read or do you just choose not to read? And Twitter doesn't count."

Not to mention all the BOF's (Bernie Only Fans) who actually voted Trump (good God) or, say, went for Jill Stein. Or wouldn't vote at all (out of spite), because, you know, Hillary or Donald, what's the difference.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I no longer know what are American values.
    I no longer know what are Western values.

In 50 years time, people will look back on this moment in Western history and say “there was hope with Trump, with Vox, and with Nigel Farage to do the right thing...”.

Sad.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

B40790BD-6723-4D6F-8C14-8CF2045D0B44-3687-0000081E6AECD3E4.jpeg

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There was plenty of that. Toss in the proven, and successful, assault by Russian intelligence to influence the 2016 election (which may have made the difference by itself, but trump has exhibited no interest in finding out), and that so many enjoy “hating” would have been president the last two years. Can any honest moderate, progressive, or liberal American honestly say we wouldn’t be far better off today? No, not if they’re being honest, in my humble opinion.

We are seeing an active assault on our democracy from within by trump and those surrounding him, including the morally corrupt Republican majority in the Senate, and a continuing assault from without by Russian intelligence, with very little being done by this administration to prevent it. The Russian attack on the fundamental pillar of our form of government, our elections, is being denied by this administration, just as they deny or ignore repeated reports from our own intelligence agencies and those of our closest allies that it is happening here, just as it is happening to Italy, France, Germany, the UK and elsewhere. Yet I still see attempts by members I respect in other forums of this BBS to defend trump and his administration. It astonishes me. What on earth are they thinking.

#37 Deckard, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    ROXTXIA likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Case in point- Bernie Bros

They could've saved America from this shitshow but decided to sit on their fat entitled unemployed asses and make "a real difference" through their empowered indifference.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

“Thinking”?

Deckard likes this.
  20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

No kidding. If the OP had put the author in the post, it would have saved a lot of us a lot of time.