1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY TIMES] I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Sep 5, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The tax cuts are huge fisca stimulation based on what.? We are in the lomgest bull market in history. It started before Trump.

2. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The American people elected Trump as well as a Republican House and Senate in order for them to implement their
    policies. If people within the government disagree or are working against it they should simply be fired.

Book companies offering millions to 'dissenters' will just create more incentive for people in very liberal, big government
    DC to try to thwart an elected Presidents agenda.

Fortunately he is squashing their power by the day removing regulations, government bureaucratic control of our lives and
    putting people on the supreme court that wish to limit the power of the government.

it is so interesting that people call Trump a fascist yet all he is doing is REDUCING the power of the government on people's
    lives in America.

But government lobbyists, lawyers, consultants, bureaucrats and agency employees lives depend on more power going to
    a federal government. I applaud Trump and his will to fight the system.

Hope he fires must of the inefficient government work force and allow us to have lower costs, taxes and regulation and innovate,
    produce and keep more of our income for ourselves to determine how to spend it.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So fire anyone like the game show?

If we do that and completely ignore check and balance system or any laws, why don’t we rely on something that is closer to real time - how the American people feel today? Bye bye trump.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A minority of people voted for trump. He got close to 3 million less votes. During Obama's era stock market doubled and Unemployment was cut in half so why not just continue those policies.

5. dmoneybangbang

Yea but instead he lowered taxes and increased government spending with the GOP controlling all three branches... this seems very reminiscent of GWB.

If you want an exemption from tariffs then you have to apply and have the government grant you an exemption. That doesn’t sound very GOP/ conservative to me... seems like more burdensome regulations.

Lastly, Trump is the swamp... grow up if you think otherwise.

foh likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Based on economics 101. Tax cuts and government spending are fiscally stimulative measures while raising or lowering interests rates is monetary policy.

The reason why the US economy is growing more is because of the huge fiscal stimulation Trump/GOP Congress enacted.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The US economy has been growing dince before Trump took office

On credit, its not just interest rates,Bush"s economy was fueld by lax credit standards like sub prime mortgages

We just recently discussed all this in the Georgia Will thread

The fed fund rate was at a record low in 08. Its only grown since

#247 pgabriel, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  8. dmoneybangbang

And? It’s growing stronger since Trump took office because of tax cuts like I just said...

Ok? Interests rates are lower than the Bush Jr era. And Trump deregulated the financial industry again.

Yep, but’s its still at historical lows.... certainly lower than the Bush Jr era.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How did Trump derrgulate more? You're arguing to argue. Interest rates have omly increased since all time lows under Bush

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@dmoneybangbang

The problems that led to 20008 started when Clinton under Lewinsky scandal pressure signed off on Glass Steagall, the Financial regulations aftee The Depression

Now we have Dodd Frank. Last time i checked its still there

Edit: ending Glass Steagall

#250 pgabriel, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bob Woodward: "People better wake up to what's going on" in the Oval Office
    "You look at the operation of this White House and you have to say, 'Let's hope to God we don't have a crisis,'" said Bob Woodward.

For the Washington Post reporter, that is the bottom line to all the jaw-dropping chaos and discord described in his new book, "Fear: Trump in the White House" (published by Simon & Schuster, a division of CBS).

"People who work for him are worried ... that he will sign things or give orders that threaten the national security or the financial security of the country, or of the world," Woodward said.

Aides like then-Chief Economic Adviser Gary Cohn and White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter literally stole documents off the president's desk in the Oval Office, such as a letter terminating a trade agreement with South Korea, so that, Woodward explained, Mr. Trump could not sign them: "Because they realized that this would endanger the country."

Martin asked, "How'd they get away with that?"

"[Trump] doesn't remember. If it's not on his desk, if it's not immediately available for action, it goes away."

Unelected officials like Cohn and Porter intentionally thwarting the actions of the elected president – the exact reverse of what a White House staff is supposed to do.

Going back to Richard Nixon and Watergate, this is the ninth White House Woodward has covered. "In the eight others," he said, "I never heard of people on the staff in the White House engaging in that kind of extreme action."

In Woodward's telling, President Trump does not see America as the indispensable nation; he sees it as an international sucker taken advantage of by allies and trading partners. He complained his advisors "don't know anything about business. All they want to is protect everybody … that we pay for."

According to Woodward, the president is obsessed by the fact that the U.S. pays $3.5 billion a year to station troops in South Korea as a first line of defense against the North. "I don't know why they're there," he said at one meeting. "Let's bring them all home." At another meeting, Secretary of Defense James Mattis starkly why the U.S. has 28,000 troops in Korea: "We're doing this in order to prevent World War III."

"The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea." - President Trump at the United Nation, Sept. 19, 2017
    The standoff with North Korea has been eased, for the moment, by the Singapore Summit, which brought together two leaders who had been trading nuclear threats and schoolyard insults.

Trump: "'Rocket Man' is on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime."
    The president later made that "Little Rocket Man" on Twitter, which he told Rob Porter "may be my best ever." When Porter asked if it might provoke Kim, according to Woodward, the president replied, "It's leader versus leader, man versus man, me versus Kim."

The most dangerous moment of the standoff, Woodward says, came when the president went to work on another tweet: "He drafts a tweet saying 'We are going to pull out dependents from South Korea ... Family members of the 28,000 people there.'"

That tweet was never sent, because of a back channel message from North Korea that it would regard a pullout of dependents as a sign the U.S. was preparing to attack. "At that moment there was a sense of profound alarm in the Pentagon leadership that, 'My God, one tweet and we have reliable information that the North Koreans are going to read this as an attack is imminent,'" Woodward said.

The president surrounded himself with generals – active duty and retired – all of whom had served in Afghanistan. But before he decided on a new Afghan strategy, he insisted on meeting with enlisted men who had served there as well. In a meeting the next day, he lashed out at the generals: "I don't care about you guys," he said to Mattis, Joint Chiefs Chairman General Joseph Dunford, and then-National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster. "'The soldiers on the ground could run things much better than you,' he says to Mattis and Dunford, and there is a 25-minute dressing down of the generals and senior officials," said Woodward.

In a recent tweet, the president acknowledged: "I'm tough as hell on people and if I weren't nothing would get done."

Rest of link
    That people Trump appointed do such extremes...

...really tells you that the DEEP STATE is on survival alert. SWAMP WATER is kneedeep in the DC pipes. Drink bottled water.

The homo-Jew Soros agenda is threatening our democracy and half the country is doing nothing! Wake up Liberal sheeple! Our job creating president is being attacked!

Jesus help us all.

12. dmoneybangbang

How did Trump deregulate more? Through executive power and through Congress? Do you mean what did Trump deregulate?Environmental rules, financial rules, small business rules, real estate rules.....

But interest rates are still lower than Bush Jr era.... what’s so hard to accept about that?

I’m not arguing, I’m correcting your misunderstandings.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We aren't talking the environment. I need specific executive orders you're referiing to. TIA

14. dmoneybangbang

Yep, the GOP wanted to deregulate under Clinton so a bipartisan bill was signed that sought to deregulate and increase loans to lower income folks.

Measures within Dodd Frank has been rolled back.

15. dmoneybangbang

I was talking about deregulation in general and financial regulation. Does your google not work? Go educate yourself about what the GOP did with Frank Dodd and the Consumer Protection Act of 2010.

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so if you dont like working for your boss, wouldnt you just quit instead of writing to a newspaper about it?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Was Trump president in 2010? I know im educated on when he took office

18. dmoneybangbang

That’s when those respective acts were created/updated.... not when Trump/GOP took them on.

Come on dude....

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

On this entire thread, checks and balances work. The main reason everything blew up under Bush is because Democrats didn't have the backbone to check in fear of being called weak aftee 9-11

20. dmoneybangbang

Depends... is your boss some petty, petulant man child who controls the most powerful country and army?

I think the bigger issue is how unstable and unfit Trump is... not that people are removing papers from desk to prevent him from seeing it.

foh likes this.