1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets to work out Tyus Jones.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IslandB.O.I., Jun 21, 2015.

1. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Tyus Jones is linked to the Rockets in nearly every mock draft. There may be something to the Lawson to the Rockets rumors after all. Draft day trade maybe?

2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

So Lawson is coming. It's happening

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it's more likely we trade up using both picks and pick up Cameron Payne for the Nuggets., then trade him K-Pap, T-Jones and Prigs for Lawson.

Three promising young players is quite a haul for a disgruntled Lawson. Almost as good as the two first rounders they wanted.

Re-sign Bev, Brewer and Josh. We're good to go.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Please let it be true

5. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Yes... the Nuggets attempting to find a replacement for Lawson and looking at the same guy another team is looking at TOTALLY means there is a trade imminent...

I highly doubt we have a deal for Lawson... but I will eat crow if I'm wrong lol

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

maybe they're just trying to corner the market on ty's

1 person likes this.
  7. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I tend to agree, but #6 just seems a little too high for Jones and I hadn't heard them linked to him until now. Most likely nothing to this, but still.....

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

seems legit. except the nuggets don't need TJ and won't want to pay him next summer.

maybe the hawks would want him for #15? they are in win-now mode and might want a proven player rather than a rookie. also, jones could be insurance against their free agent forwards leaving them.

the asking price for ty was 2 first rounders. i think TJ for 15, then 15/18/kpap/prigs for lawson gets a deal done.

match on bev and brew, MLE on llull, resign smith = sick 10 man rotation. i'd also look to sign scola and terry for the minimum.

dwight-capela-dorsey
    dmo-smith-scola
    ariza-brew-#32
    harden-llull-johnson
    lawson-pat-terry

we might be in LT territory for a year, but next summer the cap boom puts us back under.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no kj, no good

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I disagree. There's no such thing as a rebuilding team "don't need" a PF under 25 who has played major minutes for playoff teams.

He's a commodity, regardless of whether he's starter quality or not. He's certainly better than most backup PF's in the league and young enough to MAYBE make a big jump with more touches.

When you're rebuilding, you don't think about positions you just think about stockpiling anything with a long shelf life. TJ can up his trade value by playing big minutes and taking more shots for half a season. If Atlanta is interested in him for #15, I'm sure Denver will re-route him for that pick themselves. What do we need a pick for? We just made the Western finals.

11. Chamillionaire

I seriously doubt Hawks give up their 1st for TJ. They could probably draft Lyles, Portis, Kaminsky,Dekker, Oubre, or Turner there.

12. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I don't think the Nuggets are very high on Faried. IIRC, Codman said TJ was offered to Denver for Afflalo, and that they regretted not accepting the trade - I'm sure they would be interested in him. But are we really interested in Lawson?

13. Chamillionaire

Atlanta's basically in the same position then because they just had a great season, I'm sure they'd rather re-sign Milsap than to get TJ who can't shoot and rebound like Milsap.

14. Chamillionaire

I thought it was PHX who regretted not making the TJ for Dragic trade?

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Don't know enough about the Hawks, and don't really care. That's why I said, if Denver can do it then good for them. As far as we're concerned, T Jones is worth something to the Nuggets and whether he is the best PF on their team or not is irrelevant really. He's a trade chip. He's not a negative and can contribute to a good team. He's just the odd man out here with us having so much success with D-Mo and the necessity of signing Smith to keep Howard happy.

Not sure why you're assuming he would replace Milsap. He could just be a backup on a great team in the East. Jones can learn a lot about when to bullishly go to the basket and when to keep his head up from a coach like Budenholzer.

16. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Surely if that's all we need to give up to get him we do it? None of us except the cyber and codman know who Morey is after, but Lawson would literally make this team dynamic on offense. He is an elite finisher at the rim, he can break down the defense, unselfish passer, had a usage rate that was insanely low for the numbers he put up and can create his own shot. He's also a solid shooter and can catch and shoot when harden creates. Just imagine all the lobs he would throw to dwight...

On the defensive end he's not great, but you have to remember for the playoffs we had old man Terry manning the point. Take into account that KJ will most likely be back and one of beverley/lull/grant will be here next season and the defense is not an issue. We can't afford to let other teams load up and get better whilst we keep things open for a scenario that won't likely happen this season (adding the third star). We have to do it.

17. malakas

malakas Member

You can disagree all you want but the fact remains that Jones has only one single year of cheap contract and then will have to be paid and he plays the same position their most expensive player does. So yes hes almost useless to them. Not to mention they got another cheap rookie pf coming over from Europe this summer. They need 1 - 2 - 3s. Not pf and not centers. Rebuilding teams who blow it all up dont trade for players imminent to get paid they trade their stars for multiple picks and cheap rookies sophomores that have many cheap years.

1 person likes this.
  18. delishman

delishman Member

Correct.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i just don't think a rebuilding team like the nuggets will want to give TJ a long term contract. usually rebuilding teams prefer short term, expiring, NG contracts, and rookie contracts. they are more likely to want another pick. but this is all just speculation on our part. we'll have to watch on thursday to see which one of us is right. most likely we're both wrong and there is no trade :p

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe I missed something. Did the OP link to news about the Nuggets per the thread Title? Or is this a speculation thread based on the obvious desire for the Rox to land a PG in the draft or summer.