1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now I get it...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

giddy's been right all along. I just needed someone to dumb it down for me...

The Yankees are Losing and It's Your Fault

by Zackpunk

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/27/162232/699

Mon Jun 27th, 2005 at 16:01:11 PDT

[Promoted from the diaries by DavidNYC.]

The WSJ Editorial has it right. We're losing this war because of negative criticism.

And I was just about to make that same point about the Yankees. A lot of nay sayers want to fault Brian Cashman for assembling a team of decaying 40 year olds. Others say that it's really Steinbrenner who pulled the strings on that one. Some say that Torre only knows how to manage when his team is winning. Some extremely negative types say there are just too many big egos, too many high salaries, and that all the money and hype is getting in the way of good performance. But clearly, there is one reason why the Yankees are a terrible team this year.

The fans.

Yes, that's right. You want your team to win, New Yorkers? Well start repeating after me: "We're at the top of our devision." Don't look at the standings. Just keep saying it. "We're 10 games ahead of the Red Sox." Hey, you there in the back -- don't tell me that's not true. Are you really a fan? Do you really want your team to win? Don't you understand that this is all your fault?!

As a Red Sox fan, when we were down 3 - 0 in the ALCS, we all received our talking points from the clubhouse. The Yankees are in the final throes of their playoff run. That 19-8 blowout showed just how desperate they were. We kept repeating it, to the media, to our neighbors, on blogs, on chat rooms... "The Yankees are on the run."

That's how you win baseball games. Take a look at this excerpt from baseball tonight:

Karl Ravech: So what do you attribute to Randy Johnson's ballooning ERA?

Harold Reynolds: Oh, the lack of support from the spectators, definitely.

Karl Ravech: Really... you don't think there's a problem with his delivery?

Harold Reynolds: Now you're trying to divert the issue. This isn't about mechanics. When Yankees fans fail to cheer loudly enough, the opponents start to feel like they can win. That's what this is about.

Karl Ravech: But you don't think his age might be a factor?

Harold Reynolds: Shut up, Karl. Out of respect for the men who go out there on the field every day, just shut the hell up. I'm cutting your mike. Just shut up.

Don't you guys understand how baseball works? It's not about how well an organization is built. It's not about how knowledgeable and skilled the manager is. Clubhouse chemistry is utterly worthless. And batting average? Meaningless voodoo. What really makes a team win is whether or not YOU are wearing your lucky T-Shirt. The same is true with war. So if you're serious about winning this thing in Iraq, slap that yellow ribbon on your SUV. Throw on that "I Support Our Troops" baseball cap. And for God's sakes, don't ever, ever criticize our leader. When the terrorists in Iraq pick up their copy of the New York Times every morning and read editorials questioning the wisdom of our plan to win the peace, it really puts wind in their sails, let me tell you.

So come on now everyone, if you want to win, you have to start believing that we are winning. Try to empty your mind of all knowledge and information to the contrary, close your eyes, and visualize winning. Your team is counting on you.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm crying and laughing. It's so true!

The Yankees really do suck this year.

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

That was brilliant. Bravo.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so batkos, how would you win in iraq? i'll stipulate for the purpose of this thread that you want to win, and not just get out.