1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Not bringing Cole in the 7th Inning...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Since when “up in the 80s” pitch count is high for a starter? Especially for a former Cy Young winner that’s making 35M per year who still in his prime of his career. AJ, u screwed that **** up. Owned it!!! And we still love you as our manager.

jklb likes this.
  2. astros123

astros123 Member

Did I say that? Did i say that Harris served up a meatball? Harris is who he is. Hes a journeyman Reliever who was having a career postseason. Would we be here today without Harris? Most likely not. WIthout Harris we probably lose Game 2 of the ALDS. I have the utmost respect for Harris and whats hes done for us as an Astro.

This is about putting the best pitcher on the face of the planet in the highest leverage situation. Im just advocating that the most anticipated pitcher in free agency history should prove his value in a game 7 of the World Series.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

"But, But...I thought it was only Bill O'Brien and Mike D'Antoni that make decisions that cause losses.....especially BoB..".

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I agree with everything that is said in this post. Harris had a career year and postseason. It is fool's gold to continue to trust him over and over. Again, not that the Nationals wouldn't have gotten to Cole but I'll take my chances with the talent of Cole over Harris. The pitch Harris threw was not a bad pitch. As astros123 says, in Game 7 of the world series, you pitch your most talented pitchers only unless you are forced to pitch a journeyman of Harris's caliber who the manager deemed as "exhausted" before a decisive Game 7 who was tagged for a homer the night before.

Trying not to hate on Hinch too much because it could have worked out and we are all singing his praises but logically there were about 3 better options IMO.

1) Keep the seasoned Vet (future hall of famer) pitching a 2 hitter with 1 not so good pitch in the game who has only thrown 80 pitches after a questionable walk to Soto
    2) Bring in Osuna (to hopefully) close the door in the 7th
    3) Bring in Cole to just go ahead and start the 7th after pinch hitting for Chirinos* even though this would have been questioned since Greinke was pitching so well through 6 innings.
    4) Bring in Harris

*Anyways, I was surprised Hinch didn't pinch hit Tucker or Diaz for Chirinos in the 7th inning after Correa's RBI Single (should have been a double?) That would have then made sense to go ahead and role with Cole to start the 7th w/ Maldonado as the battery mate and would have justified bringing Greinke out of the game. To me, if you stay with Greinke to start the 7th you give him the benefit of the doubt that he can get out of it just like he has hundreds of time in his career, especially with the way he was pitching last night.

jklb likes this.
  5. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I thought the same about Chirinos batting after Cobra single. That would have been a perfect time to PH for Chirinos.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The problem is we didn’t score enough runs. I disagree with the decision to take Greinke out but Harris had an awesome season and a fantastic post season. He got us out of more than one jam these playoffs. He didn’t even throw a particularly bad pitch to Kendrick. **** just happens.

If Greinke gets that strike call on Soto, maybe he finishes him off and ultimately the inning. That leaves Osuna in the 8th and Cole in the 9th. You could have won with 2 runs but we should expect more and they should of gotten more.

I disagree with Hinch taking out Greinke but ultimately the relievers that have been getting the job done, all failed. That’s on them. Cole was a wildcard that we all think would have done well. But not using him wasn’t a baseball crime.

Swack, arkoe, jcee15 and 2 others like this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Harris has let us down going back to the Royals series in 16. I hope he isn't brought back unless it's for cheap.

We should have gone out swinging and lived with the result.. Cole should have pitched.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

[​IMG]

Dude was pissed after the game and I honestly dont blame him. He wanted that ball and he wanted to show the world who he was.

HstnSprtsFan101 and gatsby like this.
  9. HookemHorns1250

Don’t be a prisoner of the moment. Harris was one of the better relievers in baseball this year, and was huge in the playoffs. I would gladly.. gladly... have Harris back.

jklb, phasors28 and BigM like this.
  10. astros123

astros123 Member

Once again you fail to understand logic. Harris only got us out of the jam against the Yanks and Rays BECAUSE COLE WAS NOT AVAILABLE THOSE GAMES. What do you not understand about this? Cole was only really available for tonights game and you use the best when you have the best. Kudos to Harris for the amazing job he did this postseason and im sure he'll be rewarded with a good contract from some team but he should not be in the at that situation.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Dude..... don’t talk about logic and then post that. I mean seriously.

Rustyrig and YOLO like this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So he can blow another playoff game? Game 4 Royals 2016, Games 6 & 7 WS 2019 come to mind so it isn't being in the moment. I see a pattern.. he can't be trusted.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

AJ even told the press that Harris was gassed BEFORE game 7.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

F*ck hindsight. The astros will worry about that stuff.

Only the road team won in the WS. Only the road team succeeded at converting RISPs.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But was it a bad pitch?

16. BleedsRocketRed

**** off with you "real fans" bullshit. I don't want to hear it honestly.

I've followed the Astros since 1988. Probably longer than you've been alive. Get off your high horse thinking you matter more than anyone else.

PavlovsDog likes this.
  17. Swack

Swack Member

Cole being used in relief on 2 days rest is still a huge risk. You tout his resume but the same argument can be used about Kershaw being used in relief. Harris was literally groomed to be used in that moment all season, for high leverage relief. He had already gotten us out of several jams this post season. You say Harris was gassed but wasn't Cole gassed as well? Wasn't Scherzer gassed?

People also mention CFM being used in 2017 for Game 7 but remember he was on 3 days of rest and Cole was on 2...

HTown2017Champs, PavlovsDog and arkoe like this.
  18. astros123

astros123 Member

I like how you kindly forget that Morton was also 4 years older then Cole. Cole is in his prime. Morton was nowhere in his prime. Bumgarner pitched on 2 days and no reason why Cole couldnt atleast pitch a few innings. Once again Cole himself wanted to go in the game.

jcee15 likes this.
  19. cardpire

cardpire Member

but he was planning on bringing him in to close....the highest leverage situation there is. my guess is hinchy had some dumb script he wanted to stick with capped off with a big heroic save from cole, didn't account for greinke absolutely dominating, then seized the moment at the slightest sign of trouble from greinke to get back on script. it's insane for a star pitcher who we acquired for a heap of money and prospects to leave the game after 80 pitches of domination, and it's even more insane that we were up 2 runs after 6 innings in game 7 of the world series, and somehow lost the game without an available Cole seeing the field.

other dumb ****: bunting chirinos with 2 on and no outs, not pinch-hitting for chirinos, pitching to soto with 2 outs and 1st base open with a runner on 2nd.

hinch has always been a super dumb manager, but the monstrous amount of talent on the team has masked it, overcome/nullified his stupidity, and won 1 world series (should've been 2 or 3) in spite of him. he's friends with the players and likable though, and the world series was won under his watch, so he'll be here forever. i've come to accept it and be grateful that i lived to see 1 championship.

jcee15 likes this.
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yep, how many left on base? That’s the ball game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.