1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not bringing Cole in the 7th Inning...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

If he puts cole in and loses you can live with it cause you put your best in and they beat it.

clutchdabear and Plowman like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hinch didn’t give the Astros the best shot to win. He’ll stick to his guns about having a plan but there can’t be any doubt that his plan may have cost the Astros the title. We could have all lived with Cole blowing it if that happened cause he was our best. The idea that you’re saving Cole when the Nats are in the midst of a rally inning is...!

3. jcee15

It’s easy to follow...cole isn’t a reliever, he’s better than any pitcher we had available and he didn’t get the opportunity to win us the game, simple.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Exactly

5. jcee15

I edited my post because I knew you’d be disingenuous.

6. right1

right1 Member

On Earth 3, Greinke pitches a complete game on 107 pitches. Or Cole, Urquidy or Osuna comes in for the 9th up 2-1.

On Earth 4, Chirinos draws a walk in the 2nd and loads the bases with no outs, instead of bunting while Scherzer was struggling.

But, here we are on Earth 1, waiting for spring training to start with a chance to win it all next year.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i disagree. not everyone is completely fine with putting cole on the mound on 2 days rest doing something hes never ever done before. again this hindsight thing works both ways

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Cole isn't a reliever. A reliving situation comes about. a manager goes with his relievers who have been nails. Some of these hindsight takes are just that.

9. AstrosRockets1818

I heard Cole is still warming up at this very moment

10. jcee15

It’s not hindsight. Your judgement of the game being handled failed. I’m left wondering why you take Greinke out to begin with. Then you insert a journeyman reliever instead of the highest paid pitcher in baseball next year. Who is absolutely working himself into a lather in the bullpen.

jklb likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course its hindsight. we already know what happens. you're looking at this from one side and not the other. it has everything to do with hindsight. what youre saying is a pure what if

12. jcee15

No you saying cole isn’t a “reliever” is pure what if. I’m not gonna go in circles, cole was your best PITCHER available. You ride or die with him. It’s not mid-June

clutchdabear and Surfguy like this.
  13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Where did Hinch come up with "he was getting up in the 80s" it was exactly 80 pitches.....not 84, not 88, it was just 80

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It was early. There’s no sugarcoating it. Likely Hall of Fame pitcher pitching one of the best games of his life in game seven of the World Series? You give that guy the benefit of the doubt. Hinch screwed that up big time, and even in hindsight he can’t see it? That’s laughable.

15. astros123

astros123 Member

So fkin stupid. He did the same thing with Lance in the ALCS a few years ago. He had a 2 hit shutout then allowed that Judge hr and quickly pulled him. He did the same with Urquidy in game 4. I dont agree with those calls but I can understand them because of the pitchers.

The issue i have is that Grienke isnt a Urquidy or Mccullers. Hes the highest paid pitcher in baseball and you traded for him in July EXACTLY FOR THIS REASON.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's nothing what if about that. it's a fact. something you alluded to earlier

pure what if's: what does cole look like as a reliever. what does cole look like on 2 days rest.
    Answer: nobody knows. why? because it's never happened.

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Greinke's Numbers, third time facing a lineup:
    .208 average, OPS .566
    Greinke first time facing the lineup
    .226 OPS .563

When he has his command hes unstoppable.

gatsby, clutchdabear, jcee15 and 2 others like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s interesting because I’m listening to KFAN Minnesota sports radio right now and they are ripping Hinch for pulling Greinke for the same reasons.

I will give Hinch some leeway. Greinke almost always looks that way but Hinch spends a lot more time studying him than we do. I don’t know if this is just Hinch trusting analytics and sticking to conventional wisdom or if he might know something more. It’s a tough decision either way.

jcee15 likes this.
  19. jcee15

You’re right Harris earned that appearance because he normally comes in in those situations and SIKE it was the wrong decision in the moment and in hindsight.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

turned out that way but that comes along with the everyday decisions that goes into organized sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.