1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not bringing Cole in the 7th Inning...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by astros123, Oct 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Pretty sure at the end the Astros had to win just 1 out of 4 against Starsburg/Scherzer and the offense couldn't get it done. They're elite pitchers, but so is our offense and expecting at least 1 win against those two isn't out of the question. Meanwhile the bullpen that was supposed to be one of the strengths, faltered especially in the last two games when they were needed the most.

I don't have an opinion on who of Harris, Osuna, or Cole would be the best pitcher in that situation, I only disagree with taking Greinke out in the first place.

raj87 and jcee15 like this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If you see Hinch in the supermarket, then tell him he shouldn’t have pulled Greinke. He should be reminded often. I’m sure he will love that. ;)

astros123 likes this.
  3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone always has a reason for any bad thing that happened . There was a line of reasoning used that led to the Titanic hitting an iceberg and sinking. Hinch had some reasons why Cole didn't get in the game.
    Bottom line. You cannot go from 2-0 up to 6-2 down with 9 outs to go in game 7 and never use the best pitcher on the planet. Can't happen. No amount of reasoning or excuses will make it logical.

jcee15 likes this.
  4. AstrosRockets1818

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

6. AstrosRockets1818

As much douchery that is in this thread... it should be mentioned one thousand times.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

that probably still wouldn't be nearly enough

8. Swack

Swack Member

Morton not in his prime? His last 3 years have been his lowest ERA years starting with 2017, the year we acquired him and used him in Game 7. The best pitcher in the world? Kershaw was also considered the best pitcher in the world in 2017. I know Cole wanted to come in and implied that he was ready but Verlander also told us he was prepared and ready to come in on 3 days rest and look what happened. Best case scenario is Cole would channel his inner Madison Bumgarner, but that is no guarantee. Bumgarner throws complete games. Heck, I just checked and he threw one this year.

9. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

You play your best players. Hinch took out his third best for what appears to be no reason and continued throwing out anyone other than his best.
    If Hinch wasn’t under contract I’d love to hear him explain his decision process to another gm

cardpire likes this.
  10. cardpire

cardpire Member

how does it make any sense that he'd only be used if they were leading? he's their best option to preserve a 2-1 lead in the 8th, but not the best option to keep the deficit at 3-2? uhhh, ok.

11. jcee15

Lol so having someone on base is a dealbreaker for bringing in your best pitcher? Because we had the lead!

12. AstrosRockets1818

Apparently it was by the best MLB pitcher and best MLB manager. What's left to argue if it was never a possibility?

13. jcee15

Yea cole really looked like the agreement was super mutual after the game

14. AstrosRockets1818

Who the **** says "I'm not unemployed" and "I represent myself?"

If we won would he not have participated in the celebration or parade?

West Coast b****

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks like you didn't comprehend both concepts of

1.He wasn’t coming in in the middle of the inning and
    2. wasn’t pitching if they didn’t have the lead

dudes are really acting like this guy wasn't on 2 days rest of 7 innings w/ 110 pitches, coupled w/ potentially being in a situation he's never ever done before. how in the world these circumstances are so hard to comprehend is beyond me. people playing a bit too much MLB live out here

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

nope! looks like you didn't comprehend my post though!

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

not much to comprehend when you don't understand the initial agreement to begin with

18. jcee15

He was mad that he did all that work and became the best pitcher in baseball to not have a chance to win a World Series that may never come around again. **** him, idc what he does from now on, but as an Astros fan I’m devastated that o8r manager didn’t use the best player available

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

ok guy you're a tad dense but i'll try and go slower:

why would you use your best pitcher only to preserve a late lead, but willingly let him go unused rather than bringing him in the game to keep the deficit as small as possible?

make sense now there, slappy?

20. jcee15

Why even have manager anyway then? Just have someone write down the game plan before the game and follow it regardless of situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.