1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

not another newbie thread - please!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sideshow-bob, Jun 6, 2002.

1. sideshow-bob

sideshow-bob Contributing Member

First let me say that I’m from germany and have been following this bbs for about 3 years now. It’s by far the best fansite on the web.
    So here’s my take on that whole offseason situation:
    It’s almost impossible for us to do bad in this draft. The worst thing that could happen (if everything works out well with China) is that we pick Yao and he turns out to be average. I just cannot see him being a bust like Bradley because of his way superior offensive arsenal. Even Bradley isn’t all that bad on defense – just by being 7‘6“ he’s at least changing a lot of shots. So worst case scenario we get a Bradley with some offense and athleticism. I could live with that – although it’s definitely not my dream of a #1 pick.
    Best case scenario – he becomes one of the best 3-4 centers in this league. It’s a bit of a stretch I know but if he can adapt to the more physical playing style I think it’s definitely possible for him. I don’t see him struggling on offense as much as I see him struggling on defense at the beginning (keeping his man away from the basket).

As for trading the pick I think it only will happen if the Rockets get an offer they simply cannot turn down or if they feel the issues with Yao’s current team and china cannot be resolved. I think the Rockets will only pull the trigger on a deal that would bring them a real post player. As several people here have stated before a dominant post player is almost a prerequisite to being succesful in the playoffs. If Rocket!!!‘s sources are right those are exactly the kind of offers the Rcokets are getting now. And it’s still a couple of weeks until draft day.

So either we are getting a (proven) star via trade or a potential (not surefire) superstar via draft. Well that’s one pretty good problem to have.

Don’t forget about the #15 pick. The player that I would really like to see on the Rockets is Nikoloz Tskitishvili. (Just imagine that team winning a close playoff game: Cuttino and Steve jumping up and down the court screaming, Eddie just looking bored after having hit the game-winning basket, Moochie stripping on the announcers table and Tskitishvili pirouetting in the middle of the court. I don’t know what Yao would do maybe he could try to be the ballet partner of Niko:D)
    It would at least take KT and the #15 to get him, probably more so the chances are slim. I also don’t know if the Rockets would be willing to take two risky players (if they take Ming at #1) or if they would try to bring in a proven player at the 3 (Lewis?, Odom???). A safer pick would probably be Nachbar (and he should be easier to get than Tsika).

The good thing is that the Rockets already have some good, talented players so they can afford to risk in this draft and bring the new players along slowly and give them time to learn the NBA game.

The Rockets can only win in this offseason. How much and if it will get them closer to another championship – we will see.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Welcome! Looks like we are at least 4 Germans already...damn, it would be so cool if Dirk was on the Rockets... :)

3. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Agree with you on that, this is definitely the best basketball site on the web. We all have our opinions but everyone on here knows there ****.
    Good job Clutch, the Rocks should recognize you for such a good website. Hell they should put you on the payroll. You do more for support than they do.

4. sideshow-bob

sideshow-bob Contributing Member

yeah if dirk was on the rockets I would get to see way more games also. well maybe yao already helps at getting the rockets on tv more.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That is *really* funny. thx, !!!

What would Yao do? I think he'd be busy holding off advances from Lisa Malosky's internal clock!