1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChenZhen, Mar 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

check out <a href="http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0330/1164788.html">this article:</A>

ZONE DEFENSE???? Wouldn't that slow down that game? There would be nothing but outside shots and not as many spectacular dunks in my opinion if they do this...

[This message has been edited by ChenZhen (edited March 30, 2001).]

2. Band Geek Mobster

They might bring in zone but they'll also include a 3 second defense rule which would keep guys like Shaq and Mutumbo from camping out in the lane.

I have no clue how this will affect the NBA if it's accepted. It looks like it's either going to be a success or a disaster.

------------------

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It would force Teams to start passing the ball instead of all this one on one crap.

Like they don't play zone defense now [​IMG]

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

but if they want to speed it up, zone defense is not a solution...just look at the college scoring...

------------------

5. Digaida

Digaida Member

This is really bothering me. If these rule changes go through, I fear I'll soon hate what I once loved. If it ends up a disaster many fans will straight up leave the game, will be one of the biggest mistakes in sports. LOL hmm XBA?

------------------

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Why do you think they do that one-on-one crap?
    Because its very hard to get good ball movement with the other team playing a zone, and playing a two man game on one side of the floor is the only way to create spacing.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's IT!

I'm going to start watching tennis again.

This would be a disaster!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited March 30, 2001).]

8. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Who is the leagues board of Governers? And what the hell does Jerry freaking Colangego know about the, "flow of the game"? This is idiotic. The Mobley's an Francis's become less important, while Walt Williams and Matt Bullards become a neccessity.

Doesn't anybody understand that the league competetion is down because of the new NBA franchises. Miami, Charlotte, Vancouver, Toronto, Orlando, Minnesota are all new franchises that have spread the talent out too thin. Thats why competetion is down.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited March 30, 2001).]

9. BobFinn*

I heard they were gonna get rid of that net thingy in the middle [​IMG]

------------------
    (Aldous Huxley)

10. heypartner

No Bob* they are moving the service line in 6 feet to make it harder to serve....

That will force players to do more ball movement, rather than that one-and-out crap that Pete Sampras does.

11. BobFinn*

Oh thats right...

They are taking the nets off the rims in the NBA next year, to speed up play.

My bad

------------------
    (Aldous Huxley)

12. heypartner

what I want to know is does anyone really like the idea of a shorter clock?? that one baffles me.

college offenses can barely beat a zone with 45 seconds. can you imagine 20 seconds to expose a zone.

good grief!

13. Band Geek Mobster

Ah forget it

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited March 30, 2001).]

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Gee, Colangelo is for it, big surprise. He's only got a team of the best passers and shooters in the league. The Rockets could be seriously screwed by this. Our entire future to this point has been built around the ability to beat people off the dribble.

15. heypartner

yeah...what are you talking about Mobster. you busting my balls.

16. heypartner

zones making the NBA better is a strange notion to me without moving the clock back to at least 45 seconds.

You can't expose an NBA zone in 24 seconds on a consistent basis. The NBA would turn into a bunch of distance shooting, relatively speaking. The inside game would be smothered, and the Rockets would still Rock with their perimeter game.

that's my opinion. no use repeating myself...except for that I would hate the game with a zone, a short 3, and a 24-sec clock...that's messed up.

17. Band Geek Mobster

What rules changes would you guys want to see (if any)?

------------------

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

rule number one: if you really don't know the game, then don't be makin rules....

------------------
    "Wahooo"-homer
    I'm not only a fan but I'm also the bartender at clutchcity chat
    For the last time I'm not Tybrave!!!!!

19. heypartner

move the 3 pointer back to its pre-1989 distance, or get rid of it.

move the shot clock back. I've never quite understood that.

I don't like any artificial rules...but I strongly believe zones are a bad idea...

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Move the 3pt line back to discourage a steady diet or threes and bring back 2 for 3 at the free throw line. I like the 3 secound in the lane for defensive players (that would make Mobes even more dangerous) and put a time limit that an offensive team can have four players on the same side of the court. And I hate the touch foul get rid of it.

------------------