1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan possibly leaving Rangers for Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by crash5179, Mar 4, 2013.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No link but it's on all of the radio stations in Dallas / Fort Worth right now! Appearantly there has been a big power strugle between Nolan and John Daniels and they are saying that Nolan could be out before Spring Training is over and that his next stop would be Houston!

Obviously he would have to sell his stake in the Rangers but it's all over the radios in DFW. I thought it was news worthy.

edit:

here is a link to an article by Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star Telegram. He is about as plugged into the Rangers as anyone outside of the orginization.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/03/03/4657206/nolan-ryan-could-leave-rangers.html

#1 crash5179, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. HebrewHammer

HebrewHammer Member

would love to have Ryan back. Not sure what role he'd look to be in.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Would love to see Crane sell Ryan a significant stake.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually think Daniels hasn't gotten enough credit for the team HE built... everybody was quick to latch on to Nolan being the new owner, but all the young talented players developed and international free agent signings were largely due to Daniels' talent evaluation.

1 person likes this.
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Would love to have Round Rock back as the AAA affiliate.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Would love to make him change his freaking uniform in the HOF to Astro's gear, then let's talk.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Seems to be a recurring theme with Nolan...getting passed over and/or pushed aside by other management/ownership.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This was first reported on Friday afternoon by Randy Galloway on ESPN 103.3 FM. This morning, it's all over Dallas sports talk radio and front page on the Dallas Morning News. Supposedly, Nolan's ownership stake is set to be bought out and will be gone by the end of spring training. Predictably, the talking heads are gleeping on and on and on about this ranking up with Jerry Jones' firing of Tom Landry. This is being reported as some sort of power play by Jon Daniels (whatever). At this point in time it is mere SPECULATION that Nolan is headed back to Houston for the ALastros and at least one of the Rangers' ownership has come out publicly stating that Nolan is going nowhere. As for Nolan? Well, he's not returning phone calls so stay tuned.

Norm Hitzges comes on at 10AM on 1310 The Ticket and I expect to hear more reliable news at that time.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

There seems to be a bit of a sleaze factor with him. I can do without him. The franchise is headed in the right direction now, all he can do is interfere.

10. crash5179

I think John has done a great job but he was there when the Rangers sucked and the team did not turn around until Nolan came in. Nolan was the only smart move Tom Hicks ever made with that team. I thought John and Nolan were a great team. I also think John owes his job to Nolan because when Hicks hired Nolan a lot of people thought firing John Daniels would be Nolan's first move as president of the orginization but Nolan through everyone a curve by keeping John Daniels. Now it's being reported that John is pouting because he is not getting the type of recognition that Nolan gets.

Regardless, if Nolan leaves I would be excited as hell to have him back with the Astros!

11. crash5179

Your right about all the specualtion because at this point it certainly is mostly speculation. Having said that, something is happening and it's not very pretty for the Rangers. Nolan is from the Houston area and has a relationship with the Astros so I can see it happening. I'm certain there is a lot of behind the scenes arm wrestling going in with the Ranger ownership because some of them specifically joined up because of Nolan and absolutely do not want him gone OR deminished in anyway.

12. crash5179

I don't understand the interfere comment at all. Nolan is loved in DFW and this will be huge P/R nightmare for the Rangers if Nolan is gone. Almost everyone with knowledge credits Nolan' "interfering" with why the Rangers turned into winners. So instead of refering to what Nolan has done with the Rangers as "interfeing", I thinik it's much more accurate to refer to it as "him doing his job".

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

no, i'm saying WE don't need him. we are on a perfect path. too many cooks spoil the broth, and whatnot.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Yeah he wants to come back after he got us screwed into switching leagues. **** Nolan.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This x 1000000000000000000000.

I haven't been back to a game since the switch. I live 5 minutes from the stadium. I do intend to get out when OKC is in town this year.

16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

What baseball decisions was he responsible for (besides Purpora and oswalt)? From reading dfw articles, it seems like he's been mostly a figurehead with Daniels running much of the baseball side. Looks like Texas went with the brains over PR.

I'd welcome it if he wants to have a Clemens-type role with the team. I wouldn't want him to touch the baseball side in more than an "advising" role. After years of mismanagement the Astros finally have the right people in charge of the baseball side. Why would we want them to change that to bring in Ryan/Purpora?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i missed this earlier.

that would be the biggest upside to all this, frankly.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree it all coincided with Nolan taking over... but a lot of those young guys also came up at that time as well. Of course the team was "sucking" while Daniels was drafting/building up the farm system (much like the Astros are now). He also facilitated the trades to both replenish the farm system, as well as trading prospects for established players that helped the big league club once they got close.

Its a nice example of short-sightedness to get rid of a GM while the team's future is still incubating in the minors.

19. msn

msn Member

Maybe he can somehow leverage Bud Selig to dick the Rangers into the AL Central?

Do this, and we have a deal:
    - RR Express back with Astros where it belongs
    - Astros hat or Angels hat in the hall. That Rangers hat is just stupid.
    - Rockies and Dbacks to the AL West, Rangers and Astros to the NL West.

Do that, and I welcome Nolie back to the Orange and Blue with open arms. Until then, screw him.

20. msn

msn Member

typo: I meant NL Central.