1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan in favor of moving Astros to the AL

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMania1991, Jun 30, 2011.

1. RocketMania1991

**** Nolan Ryan, this team does NOT need to go to the AL.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=21179574&vkey=notebook_tex&c_id=tex

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was surprised to hear him say that but it's strictly from a "it helps the Rangers" perspective. Nolan's a businessman and that's pretty much all he's giving you in these quotes.

3. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Of course he wants us in his division. The Rangers own the Astros, and probably will for the next few years....who wouldn't want to add 10-12 more wins per season to their record.

He's pretty much saying "well, we have to travel west all the time, so the Astros should have to also."

Even though we suck right now, I still watch the majority of their games and I'll be pissed if we start playing in the west coast time zone for a big % of the season. Heck, I hate the 2 or 3 trips they have to make per season right now.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This. Nolan Ryan knows the Rangers benefit more than the Astros do from playing each other.

5. msn

msn Member

More like, "**** you, John McMullen".

While Nolie's just being smart about what's best for his team, screw him and screw the Rangers. And screw the junior circuit.

This is an NL town.

1 person likes this.
  6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est!! :eek:

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So people here wouldn't want to go see The Yankees, Red Sox and Rays on a regular basis?

I'd love it and it's not like we'd be missing out on old rivalries. The Cardinals are ok but we have nothing as big as the 80's mets/dodgers rivalries.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd rethink it some if they got rid of the DH in both leagues; but I'm an NL fan. I grew up in a city that has been an NL city for 50 years now.

But what they're talking about doing now is unmanageable unless they decide to go full out DH in both leagues or get rid of it in both leagues. Too many games between the leagues in this proposal to justify rules distinctions between the leagues anymore.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I could care less about the DH or "rivalries" with the Cardinals, Cubs, etc. I'd much rather start a true rivalry with the Rangers and get to play the Red Sox, Yankees, etc.

10. MadMax

I don't have much interest in the Astros playing the Red Sox/Yankees. Have very little interest in sharing a division with the A's and Mariners.

I think the idea that there would be this great Astros/Rangers rivalry is a bit oversold. The Rockets play in the same division as the Mavs...there's certainly not a great rivalry between those franchises, and they've played each other for years now.

I care about the DH because it is a literal change of the game, itself.

11. RocketMania1991

I hate the DH, NL is such a more traditional style of baseball where the manager is forced to actually make game impacting decisions.

All the AL has to do is find some overweight 300 pound guy who just slugs for a homerun every time he comes up to the plate.

12. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

THIS IS NOT AN NL TOWN. Houston is not a baseball city. For the love of god... it's not even top 2... it's not even top 3... It goes like this in Houston.... the NFL(TEXANS... College Football (UT;A&M)... the NBA(Rockets;duh,winning)... then the Astros... and thats when the Astros matter.

Any change for the Astros at this point is a good change.

13. MadMax

Houston isn't a baseball town...most cities aren't baseball towns at this point. Aside from St. Louis and cities without NFL teams, most towns revolve around their NFL franchise(s).

But Houston is every bit as much of an NL town or more than: Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Washington, Miami, Phoenix, SD or Denver.

Houston has drawn 3 million fans 4 times in the past 12 seasons. They've drawn over 2.5 million an additional 5 times over that same span. That's not something to sneeze at - hell, the Rangers barely drew 2.5 million last season.

Ultimately, we're an NL city because we've played host to NL baseball for 50 years. We've played host to 2 of the best LCS series ever. We've played host to the 2 longest playoff games (and among the most memorable) in NL history.

I agree with you that we don't have Cubs/Cardinals roots...but hell, who else in the NL does at this point??

This sentiment that they need change for the sake of change is only happening because the team is a down spot. If this were 2006, a year removed from the WS, no one would be arguing that the 'stros should skip leagues because they need change.

You'll have a very difficult time convincing me that this town is MORE of an NBA town than a baseball town at this point, though. I can't imagine that sentiment getting much run anywhere other than Clutchfans.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

title should read

"Nolan Ryan in favor of getting the Rangers an extra 10 wins per season"

15. juicystream

Houston is more of a baseball town than basketball. Football is king in Texas, but baseball is next in line.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Oh, I disagree. The teams hated each other in 2004 when both were good and meeting in the playoffs. The key, though, is both being good at the same time, with one team holding the advantage.

If the Rangers and Astros ever had a run like the Cards and Astros did earlier this decade, for example, it would absolutely be inherently better because of the proximity and built-in hostility between the two cities.

17. MadMax

My point was only that the Rockets and Mavs have been in the same division for as long as I can remember...and I dont' think of them as our rival. I don't like them, simply because they're from Dallas....but rival? They're nowhere near the Lakers, Jazz, Spurs in that discussion. In my mind, anyway...

I don't think putting them in the same division necessarily means they're going to be heated rivals anytime soon.

18. juicystream

I live in Georgia, It is a long ass drive to the nearest AL city (St Petersburg). It would be devastating to me if the Astros moved to the AL. I don't see the interest in wanting to play the Rays at all, and I couldn't care less about playing the Yankees or Red Sox. I root for the Astros, they could be playing the California Penal League for all I care, because the only team that matters is playing.

And ***** the DH.

1 person likes this.
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, and basketball is a distant 3rd.

If the Rockets had the worst record in the league, TC would be 4/5ths empty every night. The Astros at least have a core of fans that will go to games every year, win or lose, just because of the ballpark atmosphere. Can't say that about the Rockets.

20. msn

msn Member

Several things.

screw your clavator and your rescindendater thingy. This town "est" an NL town. :grin:

you mean for three price-raised games every *other* year? Unbalanced schedule, man. It will still be a rare thing for those storied franchises to grace this town, and even then it'll be an expensive ticket.

*yawn*. I'm sure you feel that way; what I'm saying is many, many of us couldn't care less that the Rangers exist. Personally, I *hate* playing them 6 times a year that we could be seeing the Braves, Mets, Phillies, Giants, or Dodgers.

No freaking kidding. All those late, late, late night games against teams that I just care less about. Everyone talking about the Yanks and Sox--your *real* reality will be your team playing irrelevant franchises like the A's and Mariners at 1 in the morning. *yawn*

dumbest post in the thread. you do realize those things trend upward and downward, don't you? how did the Rox rate against the Astros as recently as 6 and 7 years ago? However, all that is *beside* the point. Houston is an NL town, and has been since early in the 20th century (bonus points for anyone who can answer why).

a lot of folks in H-town feel this way. If you don't, that's fine. But you're way underestimating the amount of people that actually do have roots and memories in 50 years of an NL franchise in town.

If those of you who want to see this happen get your way, you'll get 30 or so games a year on the west coast as opposed to 9 or 10 right now. You'll also get 18 games a year against the Mariners, A's, Angels, and Rangers. OOOO, doesn't that just make your heart leap with excitement? Mix in 6 or 7 games a year with the Twins, White Sox, Royals, Blue Jays, Orioles, and Indians and you'll hardly be able to contain your excitement. Oh, and the Tigers! YAY, now THAT's a deal-sealer right THERE.

No freaking thanks.

Word.