1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Zone Played Last Night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so, didn't that tv coverage suck with all the interviews during action?

Anyhow, I started dozing off in the 4th quarter. But in quarters 1-3, I did not see one zone from either team. Did anyone?

2. tozai

tozai Member

nope, and I dont think NBA teams will use zones hardly at all. At least not any 2-3 typical college zones. They'll do halfcourt traps, and with the new rules people can roam a little bit more for double/triple teams. The best rule of all these though is getting rid of calling those p***y handcheck fouls which slowed down the game so damn much.

------------------
    I've got long signature envy

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Do coaches have the hours to practice a zone w/ an RMR team?

I suspect that most teams will practice one or two situational zones... and the occassional smart alec like Nelly will play zones every defensive possession.

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

4. Shandon Anversen

the only thing i noticed, in the way of "zones", was the weak side guard sliding across to the middle of the free throw line (shadowing the post from the weak side). this was done against EG a # of times, and one time resulted in a steal.

of course, this IS NOT EG's fault. it is the point guard's responsibility to identify the rover behind the post before he throws it in. of course, that would be sean colson. then again, he was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE at the point.

i don't EVER recall seeing a PG run an offense that poorly. i don't EVER recall seeing a PG that BLATANTLY REFUSED to go left.

5. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

It would probably be hard to do a traditional zone, because they have a 3 second rule on defens (if a defensive player is in the paint more then 3 sec without guarding anyone, then its like an illegal D except no warning).

------------------
    __ Ñ _ _ _
    /_ ______ _ \
    ÝÝÝÝl____| * |___ lÝÝÝÝ
    ¡,.-ñý¯Çi ¡,.-ñ~ñ~ñ-.,¡ `¯ýñ-.,

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Achebe, imo, pro players should be able to pick up a zone fast.

I mean, with man you have to discuss how you are going to switch on shooters, how you are going to rotate, when you are going to double, where the double is going to come from, etc. These kids have probably never played rotating d before--the kind you must play to stop teams with long-range shooters who stretch defense much more than any other level they've seen.

Man-to-man is not easier.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We have talked about this before but..I think the NBA zone will be a sagging man to man. The new rule will allow defensive players to hang around the box rather than clear out effectivly eliminating the one-on-one game. They might as well call it the Anti-Rudy Rule.
    I think it will bring back a more esthetic version of team basketball ala John Wooden, but will take away some of excitment of in your face, ashalt court, street ball.

------------------
    The Muffin Man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the
    Utility Muffin Research Kitchen... Reaching for an oversized chrome
    spoon he gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants and
    brushing his scapular aside procceds to dump these inside of his
    shirt...
    He turns to us and speaks:

"SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES BETTER. I FOR ONE CARE LESS FOR THEM!"

Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing anointment utensil He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.
    Later he says:

"SOME PEOPLE... SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES EXCLUSIVELT, WHILE I
    MYSELF SAY THERE IS NAUGHT NOR OUGHT THERE BE NOTHING SO EXALTED ON
    THE FACE OF GOD'S GREY EARTH AS THAT PRINCE OF FOODS... THE MUFFIN!"