1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No-mah

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, Feb 24, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just for fun...it's time to boost the Astros and tweak 'the boss' at the same time.

So, here's a three-way which makes lots of sense (ha ha) to me:

Nomar gets reunited with his former manager, with whom he was always reported to have been close, Jimy.

Soriano heads to Beantown to play 2nd, with Pokey moving to SS.

Doggie heads to Beantown to replace Nixon, who Trots to Texas (while geting 1/2 his salary paid by Bosox) along with Jeriome and Adam Everett.

Boston tweaks Steinbrenner, and keeps its payroll the same (sound familiar?). Their OF D improves and their IF is nearly the same. The overall O is upped.

Houston gets a ready-for-primetime SS, while keeping its payroll nearly the same.

Texas gets a starter, a SS, and an outfielder for a 2B, with their payroll being unaffected.

Call the commish, this deal is done!

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We give up Hidalgo, Robertson and Everett for Garciaparra? That would be a dream come true...which is why I doubt it would happen. It would be an unbelievably crappy deal for the Rangers, who give up a stellar 2B in Soriano for Trot Nixon, an above average OF (sure, he had a career year last season but his career OPS is around 860), Robertson, a rookie whose wins were inflated by run support and has never been considered much of a prospect and Adam Everett, a good fielding SS who no one expects to ever swing much of a bat. They get royally screwed.

Edit: On second thought, looking at Soriano's career stats, the total production traded here probably matches up...assuming Nixon could maintain production closer to what he did in 2003 rather than 2002 and before, then that would actually be a decent trade for Texas. I still doubt they would do it. Production from 2B is a LOT harder to find than production from OF.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

They have made some stupid moves before but this would really put them in as the dumdest trade ever.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who is 'they'? Which team wins the most, loses the most in this?

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

As nice as it would be to bring in a star like Nomar, would the team be able to sign him to an extension? If we don't pony up, then I can imagine him bolting for home, Anaheim, where a new owner is spending money and has significantly improved what was once an underdog WS winner to a legit contender. Imagine adding Nomar to Vlad, Anderson, Guillen.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd do it in a heartbeat...where do i sign?

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Yep, I would do it in a heartbeat but the boss is not going to fork over the money to get Nomah!

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In my (fantasy) suggestion this year's payroll would effectively remain constant for each of the three teams.

9. Buck Turgidson

For the love of all that is good and decent, please don't post this bull**** anymore.

10. deepellumrocket

Living in Dallas, I can tell you that this would not be considered a bad deal for the Rangers. Their lineup is strong enough to support a light hitting shortstop, plus they can leave Michael Young at 2b. Everybody in the metroplex is just screaming for some pitching, so even if Jeriome isn't as good as his record, it will still look like management is trying to get some pitching.

11. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Nomar makes less than Hidalgo this year. By doing this deal we would be saving money. (Hidalgo 12 mil + 2 mil option, Nomar 11.5 mil)

I still wouldn't do this deal though. Everett is a lot better than anyone thinks. He had the highest range factor of any regular shortstop in the majors last season. He showed big strides with the bat towards the end of last season too. Jeriome is lucky and overrated and wouldn't be a huge loss. Hidalgo is enormously talented, even if he has yet to have two years in a row.

Trading 3 players for a one year rental of Nomar really isn't in the best interests of the team IMO.

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I understand. I also understand Nomar turned down a big contract because he wants Jeter type money.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What do you mean?

14. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I can't say I had a dream that the Stros landed Nomar, that would by lying, but I can say I've been thinking a lot about it.

I'm not sure what it means, but it's got to mean something. Take it for what it is worth.

15. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Nomah IS Boston.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...which is why they tried to trade him all winter long

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

THE astros would be the losers why give up on another 2 young player to get one that's be someway injuried the past three years.The stros need to stop quitting on there young players so fast.

18. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Bagwell and Everett (at one time were destined to and still) could BE Boston.

#18 pariah, Feb 26, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BTW - the 'stros don't appear completely committed to Robertson, Doggie is likely (or at least very possibly) in his last season in Houston, while Everett may, in fact, be a comer. Or he may have peaked, I hope not.

Would I trade the boodle for Mr Hamm? In a New York minute!

PS Of course I posted this as a 'fantasy', a tweak of Steinbrenner, while doing a deal which just might benefit all and keep all's payrolls about the same level for this season.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Boston wants to trade No-mah because of next season not this season. They didn't just invest in Curt for no reason. Read the following:

the Red Sox lowering their offer over the winter from the $16 million a year over four years that Garciaparra declined last spring. When it looked like Miguel Tejada was going to sign with Baltimore for $9 million a year in December, as the A-Rod talks swirled, the Sox offered Garciaparra $48 million over four years -- $12 million a year.

Boston is not trying to cut salary. They are trying to win and at the same time, outdo the Yankees. That's why the A-rod deal makes sense.