1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Excuses: The Real Problems & How to Fix Them

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DwangBoy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Wanted to start this thread in hopes that we can discuss and come up w/ actual reasons this Rockets group might struggle this season... not just excuses or half-assed impulsive thoughts that cross our minds when watching a 1st game loss to a young Lakers team that actually looks like they're going to be really good.

First, I want to go through what I liked about the Lakers:

1) Good coaching focused on the right things.
    2) Great athletes who are not entitled (young) and willing to work each night
    3) Willingness to work consistently even when things aren't going well
    4) A focus on the process, not the result
    5) ENERGY throughout the game

Now, let's talk about the Rockets:

We need to stop making excuses and saying the right things. Instead, we need to change our attitudes and behaviors and start DOING the right things. A lot of these things will feel like I'm talking about Harden, and that's because he's the leader, and we'll only get as far as he takes us.

1) Attitude

We need to be tough and develop a winning attitude in the locker room. None of this nonchalant "I'm too cool for school" demeanor. You have to earn it - every single night. And we should approach each possession on both offense and defense in this manner. GO FOR THE KILL... but also realize it takes patience each and every play, let alone game. Be brutally patient and heartless.

2) Consistent Effort

Don't have mental lapses. Don't drag your feet if you turn the ball over. Don't get upset over bad calls/missed shots/poor decisions. Get your A$$ up and run back on defense and re-focus on the game plan. Focus on making the right decisions consistently. Give consistent effort in both offense and defense when you're playing. Otherwise, play less minutes.

3) Change what's wrong (bad habits)

Change it if it doesn't work!! Don't ball-watch on defense! Focus on your man! (Harden) Don't run transition offnese like your a chicken with its head cut off (Brewer). Constant motion on offense.. don't bring the ball up, pass it, and just stand there hoping the first play works. Sometimes, it takes the 2nd or 3rd "play" and movement to get a good shot. Don't give up or get dejected so easily.

THINK! Focus each play.... this is a habit, not good fortune. Not talent. Winning is a habit that requires mental effort!!!

If you do the same thing (or think the same way and/or approach the game the same way) over and over expecting a different result.... you're not going anywhere.

PLAY THE SAME WHETHER YOU'RE DOWN 20 or UP 20.

4) Accountability

Coach needs to keep players accountable. If Harden isn't moving his feet on defense or trying hard enough, bench him. He will learn. You can't pamper players after they make mistakes.

Coach needs to be accountable for creating an effective offense and game plan when Harden sits. We have enough capable ball handlers, that you can do this. If players need confidence, boost their confidence. Coach them up! That is your job.

heypartner likes this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

TBH didn't read because what matters most is that we remain the 3rd most winningest team in the last 10 years in the regular season.

Good thread though.

ISOBall, cheke64 and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

:eek: I just care about this season, and this team.... since I'm not trying to market the Rockets in a sale.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1. Find the legs we lost.
    2. Agree on a page and stay on it.
    3. When we get to a corner, turn.

5. malakas

malakas Member

LMAO

All these attitude issues and accountabillity that the OP mentioned to me don't matter. There are clear construction issues with the roster. Two huge holes in backup pg and the frontcourt rotation.

Cashmoney and basketballholic like this.
  6. andersongo

andersongo Member

This thread could be found in the director's cut of Groundhog Day. Legend say that it was the actual trigger for Bill Murray offing himself in the original scenario script.

malakas and Mr. Clutch like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I summarized it for for you....

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin McHale could sum a lot of that up in two words: PLAY HARDER! ;)

Sounds like you want structure, 'culture' & accountability. Rockets hired Mike D'Antoni for "fun, entertaining, high scoring-little defense" basketball.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Meh... Just win.

10. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Those items are actually the foundation of a sustainably good basketball team... yes, we need talent. but talent w/o good attitude and accountability is aka Minnesota Timberwolves.

I would've guessed Lakers would fall under the same bucket as well, but I think they're going to be very well-coached this season.

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

Do they? They suck because they are young and inexperienced...Not because they are flaming primadonnas.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

The players in question are mostly known quantities. Vets. You can't expect Anderson to suddendly become a good defender. He is what he is. Even if he joined the Spurs he would be a bad defender. No amount of accountabillity it's going to change that.

oakdogg likes this.
  13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Point taken. It's a mix of talent and accountability. I'm not arguing this is the only way. I'm just saying, to maximize our talents, we need these intangibles and this attitude. Otherwise, we're going to give up a lay-up everytime Harden turns the ball over. And our good defenders are going to stop playing tough D b/c Harden's inattentiveness renders it pointless.. I'm not saying attitude and accountability wins games alone.. you def need the talent too.

malakas likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Yes. You need it. But it bears fruit when you mostly have at least average or just bellow average defenders. In the case of someone like Rhyno he is way bellow average. The best you can do is try to hide him.
    That's why our issue is roster construction. This roster was constructed to have a bad defence. There's no way around it. Anderson needs a great defensive C next to him. Then maybe with all the things you mentioned, we could have our defensive rating to be respectable.

oakdogg and subtomic like this.
  15. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

What did you think of Harden's defense yday? Didn't it seem like his offseason comments on it were all talk and no walk?

Also, what about starting KJ McDaniels over Gordon. I think that would help a lot. KJ even hit his only 3 last night.

And I agree w/ everyone else that Brewer should never play...... give those minutes to Gordon and Harrell off the bench.

I also think we really need D-Mo.. for his basketball IQ on offense and decent post defense. He defended the pick and roll great last yr. (but again, it's difficult to cover up both Harden and Ryno's D.... Harden's being the one I think actually has a shot of improving.)

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Did you get this posticle from the random coaching cliche generator?

oakdogg, Hank McDowell and DwangBoy like this.
  17. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

ok, in hindsight, this is very cliché..... but when I wrote it, I was actually thinking about our potential issues... like our coach spitting out clichés and not actually holding players accountable.. like our players spitting clichés but not really changing their play or doing anything different....

And the attitude thing and consistent effort thing is based on the fact that we need to toughen up and really play w/ the same effort regardless of calls/turnovers/etc. I feel like our players get dejected too easily after a bad play and it snowballs for a play or two.

malakas likes this.
  18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll start Beverley when he's healthy. That will help the defense a lot.

Then bringing Gordon off the bench will help the second unit be a lot better.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Honestly, speaking basketball is pretty simple. No need to complicate it.

All Rockets need to do is to get a hoop, a hold and then another hoop and another hold.

Just repeat this mantra and in the words of James harden "we'll be fine"

Os Trigonum and Mr. Clutch like this.