1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Astacio deal, BAcke may miss a start

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Not with Rich/Marc around. ;) Marc will turn it into a Texans discussion and Rich will still insist that the Astros won't make the playoffs

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

look at my boy, Cat, scooping freaking Justice! :)

3. Buck Turgidson

Pretty weak that no one in Houston or Austin bothered to report this.

The Freaking Memphis Commercial Appeal?

Possible situations that would explain the quote:

1. Pettitte felt something in his arm early in the game but was able to pitch through it.
    2. Astacio will be part of a trade in the very near future.
    3. The Astros are making an in-house adjustment to their bullpen.
    4. Something else we haven't thought of.

1. Pulling Astacio early makes no sense here, as he & Pettitte are pitching on the same day.
    2. What is the logic behind this? So he can start sooner for his new team? I've never heard of anyone doing this. I could see it if the trade was finalized *while he was pitching*, but in reality you're only going to get him on the mound again 2-3 days sooner. Again, why?
    3. Gallo has been ineffective against LHB, they can send him down at will (unlike Harville), Qualls is murder against lefties so the need for a LHP in the pen is lessened. Garner and Purp are on record saying they think Astacio could be very good out of the pen.

This is all off the top of my head, but 3-4 seem most likely. Veeeeeeery interesting, but still, the trade angle makes little sense to me right now.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

6 minutes, actually. ;)

Whatever it is, Justice now knows and will look into it. If there's any substance behind it I'm guessing we'll hear something tonight.

Perhaps they wanted to minimize any risk of an injury by holding him to a strict pitch count? I know it's a little bit of a stretch, but I'm trying to hold out hope that we might be able to get something done in the near future...

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I, too, was wondering why the Austin American-Statesman didn't mention this in their (typically pathetic) game report for the Express. I figured they would have said something if he had gotten injured (Astacio, that is).

If it is because a trade is in the works, I personally hope that it is not for Nevin. I think he is done and that a move to MMP wouldn't do enough to make up for it. I'd rather leave Berkman at 1st to lessen the wear and tear on his knee, at least for the remainder of this season. If they were to be able to get anyone in a straight up deal, I'd prefer Raul Ibanez from the Mariners.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

To this i would say that maybe they didnt want to see him get drilled by a line drive or get rocked while they were in serious trade talks. Also, it wouldnt be unheard of that the counterparty said, "look, we will take him, so get him out of the game and lets figure out the rest of this" This would only happen with a counterparty that could be trusted not to walk away from the table...and aren;t Drayton and the Padres guy friendly?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Actually, he has caught 100 games in his career.

Shouldn't the speculation revolve around Backe? If Astacio was taken out after 2 innings, that would essentially preclude him from pitching today and perhaps tomorrow, but not Thursday.

8. Buck Turgidson

Agreed on Ibanez, leroy. Sweet, sweet LH swing, would look great b/t Moberg & Lane.

9. Summer Song Giver

Maybe it's Manny :D

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Larry Dierker this morning on 610 said that Jim Hickey thought that Astacio might be more suited for the bullpen. He said that since Astacio only has two above average pitches he might be better in the bigs in short stretchs.

11. NJRocket

but we arent having such major bullpen issues at the moment that they would yank him from quality start...are we?

12. Buck Turgidson

Good call. Maybe the elbow's acting up again? They're very reluctant to trade him during the stretch run, rob Peter to pay Paul kinda thing. Not saying it's out of the question, but it would be a bit of a shock.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

No, but Qualls has been mentioned in trade rumors over the past month or so. Astacio could take his spot if traded.

14. NJRocket

true...Qualls was rumored in the Millar deal i believe

15. NJRocket

This is very exciting.

lets celebrate

I'll go get some donuts.

16. Buck Turgidson

He was mentioned in ONE trade rumor - it was initiated by the RedSox and was rejected out of hand.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've been preaching this to my friends since April. Love his swing, he can steal a base and he can play the corner outfield spots. I have no doubt he would be a tremendous boost to our team as a whole.

:crosses fingers, toes, eyes, etc...:

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Reports were that it was rejected specifically because Qualls was requested by the Red Sox.

I don't think the organization is going to give up on Astacio being a starter this early. He hasn't had injury problems in the minors (i.e. Lidge & Billy Wagner). He pitched a great game against Pittsburgh. I can't think of any reason why his start was cut short except either he is soon to be traded, someone on the Astros staff is injured, or they simply want to not wear the kid out and are limiting his innings before he does get injured.

19. NJRocket

It could also be a 3 way....where Ponson and Bigbie go to SD, we get nevin and maybe hayden penn...zeke ,lane and some padre crap go to balt

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

You just made me vurp in my mouth.