1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Astacio deal, BAcke may miss a start

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Jul 26, 2005.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

From the Memphis Commercial Appeal today:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/sports/article/0,1426,MCA_461_3953919,00.html

This is obviously just speculation, but unless the Astros have an unreported injury, I don't see where the room is for him on the Astros roster. On another team, however...

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's damn good research, Cat! you just earned one of Milo's blue stars.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Interesting....only thing that scares me is that its the day after Pettitte pitched. Hopefully something is brewing.

CAN U SMELL WHAT THE PURP IS COOKIN?

4. The Cat

Well, don't give me too much credit for it... I found that link in the Minor League Reports thread over at the OrangeWhoopass forums. :)

Again, all speculation, but Astacio's start last week against the Pirates where he proved he can contribute (somewhat) now might end up being huge for us at the deadline.

5. The Cat

That was my first fear as well, NJ. But, assuming the Express played at the same time as we did last night, how would they know during the second inning that Pettitte was hurt (because he was still pitching for the Astros at that point)? It's possible that it has to do with Andy but seems unlikely given the timeline. At least that's what I'm hoping...

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astacio was actually pitching at the same time as Pettite... so them holding him out had nothing to do with Andy's elbow what-so-ever (unless one of them knows Doc Brown, has a time-machine/delorean, and has already seen into the future).

Astacio is our most tradeable asset right now... and he's just coming off his first big league win. While his stock isn't as high as it was at the beginning of the year, I'm pretty sure there will be a few teams (like San Diego, Cincinnati) who are in dire need of pitching who will take a shot at him.

7. MadMax

i still choose to give you credit for it.

8. NJRocket

good point....obviously if somethign was wrong with Andy when they yanked Astacio, he would have not lasted until the 7th. Now that I think about it, they would never yank him for that reason anyway ...they would let him finish his turn and then if need be, he would replace Andy next time around because they are on the same day.

9. NJRocket

Interesting that you mentiuon San Diego. Do you think we may see a return of Phil Nevin (now that he refused to waive his no trade)...he comes in to play 1B and Berkman goes into the OF?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It makes sense, doesn't it?... and Gammons mentioned it last night that Houston would be a place that he'd agree to go to.

Then again, he makes a lot of money for not much production this year (and a whole lot of injuries)... but, it couldn't be any worse than what we're trotting out there now.

11. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Wasn't Nevin a clubhouse cancer?

12. NJRocket

makes total sense.......as for his production this year....I could see a rebirth if he came back here.....MUCH better hitters park than Petco....and if it only costs us Astacio, i think its a no brainer....wow...just makes WAY too much sense...scary

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think it will cost us much... San Diego is pretty desperate to get rid of his salary. They probably want somebody who can help them now, rather than later... and Astacio is a much cheaper option than Ponson was going to be (but far less proven).

I'm not blown away by Nevin... I'm pretty sure his production could be fine once he came here, and his clubhouse issues would get absorbed by the auras of Clemens/Biggio/Pettite... but his injuries are what bothers me the most.

He'd likely make us better... but I don't know if he's the guy who can get us over the Cardinals (assuming the Cardinals will be fully healthy... which they are FAR from right now).

14. MadMax

man, i'd really like to see berkman stick at 1B. i don't like watching him limp around the bases. don't really want to see him doing that in a corner OF spot.

15. NJRocket

i tend to agree.....can Nevin play LF?

can he play catcher? ;)

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How many years are left on that contract?

17. NJRocket

Someone call 610 and mention this...maybe they can do some research

18. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Justice is researching now thanks to Cat.

19. NJRocket

u serious? wow

20. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cat emailed him and really within 15 minutes he got a reply back. Which leads me to believe that maybe he was already on something involving Astacio?