1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NLDS & NLCS 2019 Game Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Senator

Senator Member

Dodgers have to fire Dave Roberts... he has been making bad postseason decisions since before the Astros WS til now . Need to shake it up. Nationalsdonegood. Have a better 1-2 than the Astros and big game hitters.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Fire a manager that has made to 3 straight WS and won 105 game this year.....lol. "Shaking things up" just do it......doesn't work most of the time.

He would be hired the next day by another team.

I guess the Astros need to fire Hinch if they lose tomorrow? Lost ALCS last year, ALDS this year. Uh Oh....backsliding. Time to shake things up! o_O:rolleyes::eek:

Sajan and BigShasta like this.
  3. Senator

Senator Member

I wonder if that other team will have a $200 million payroll... which is the primary reason the Dodgers have been dominating a weak NL. From 2013 onwards they have spent 250 million more than any other team... including Yankees.

Need to step up to a guy who can make the big game decisions if they want to take the next step.

everyday eddie and BigShasta like this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Love your name, but they haven't "hit" the Rays.......yet.

5. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

They can’t even hit off the rays. Astros need to look at the dodgers and braves game to light a fire in their ass

Kendrick Lamar and No Worries like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is MLB playoff baseball. The "best" team does not always win.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm the same way with the Wizards only I have active disdain for the Redskins.

I love the Capitals organization but I simply cannot get into hockey no matter how hard I try.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Montreal won an “NLDS” series in the strike shortened season of 1981. Baseball purists might not consider it a real playoff series since the NLDS didn’t really exist until the 90s.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The NL has been something else. Nats vs Cardinals for the NLCS? Really? I picked the Cards over the Braves, but never saw the Nats emerging as victors.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

True. But the playoffs are supposed to be about the best team in the AL playing the best team in the NL at the World Series? Right? Dont get me wrong, I love seeing big boys getting knocked out, but the Division series should be best of 7, not 5. If the regular season were shorter, I could even get behind best of 9 for the entire playoffs (not wildcard).

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

STL involved in all largest margins

#231 Houstunna, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

You're allowed to have dual allegiances. Nothing wrong with that. I have a friend I talk to every day that lives in Minnesota but grew up in St. Louis. He's gotten to be very disappointed AND very pleased so far, because he's a Twins fan first, Cards fan second. And I'm super happy for him that he got 1 out of 2.

And, honestly, if it was Astros-Nats in the WS (hypothetically), I'd have no problem with you rooting for the Nats. You've got a great history with them from day one. If the Nats do make it there and the Astros don't, the Nats have my support as well (although, I doubt I'll be paying attention if that happens.)

DCkid likes this.
  13. SemisolidSnake

For me, hockey was all about going to the games. Hockey is, IMO, the best sport to watch in person, bar none. We started going to Aeros games in their first season back in Houston in the 90s, and I was hooked. Had season tickets several times over the years and got to see the last game here a few years ago. Miss them terribly.

However, I never followed hockey closely as a fan at all. I have friends who don't even get to go to games that follow it obsessively. Actually, the one I'm specifically thinking of just moved to the D.C. area, so she'll probably be going to a decent amount of Caps games now. But I can't get into that side of it. Hockey is more experiential for me.

That said, I also don't know what it would be like going to NHL games. One of the nice things about the Aeros was that they were the cheapest sport in town, which is why we could afford season tickets. Still, when we eventually get our NHL Aeros (and it WILL be called the Aeros, or I'm starting riots), I will probably get season tickets from day one, so I can have hockey back in my life.

But that's just me. I probably like hockey more because I don't get too into it.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not saying the Nats aren't a flawed team, but hard to judge their postseason success on their overall record. Just a few numbers to look at.

1. After the terrible 19-31 start, in the last 105 games of the season they've gone 69-36, which would translate to 106 wins over a full season.
    2. They have 3 starters in the top 4 in NL strikeouts, and were arguably the best rotation in the NL.
    3. They're in the top 1-3 in pretty much every NL Batting Category
    4. They were pretty much objectively the worst bullpen in all of the major leagues by quite a long shot. If you filter by relief appearances, they rate last place in nearly every statistical category.

Taking all of this together, you can't help but wonder what they would have been able to accomplish if they simply had a middle of the road bullpen.

And just two more thoughts to build onto that. 1.) Two of their top three current relievers were acquired at the trade deadline, which has helped bring the bullpen up to semi-serviceable. 2.) So far they've been successful in "hiding" the bullpen due to the length their three starters have given them in this postseason appearances. If Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin are able to keep this up they could be pretty formidable the rest of the playoffs.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Washington is getting too greedy with the staff. You lose one of those games where you get itchy and put in Scherzer, Corbin, or Strasburg, and suddenly your boxed in. If the other team gets stupid too, it won't matter. And that seems to be the case these days. But If the other team plays it cool and beats those guys like we can, and will, they does got problems. The Astros made a boo boo, but the rotation wasn't clobbered by it.

16. DCkid

So, I barely pay any attention to the Caps in the regular season. Other than keep an eye on the standings and maybe the occasional glance at a game if the Rockets aren't playing.

I don't know what it is about the postseason, but from my experience if you have just a little stake in the outcome, hockey suddenly becomes pretty captivating ****. Every little deflection suddenly becomes extremely important, and due to the pace there are things that could affect the outcome of the game happening pretty much every couple of seconds. I don't really have much of a stake in the regular season, since the games don't mean hardly anything. Not to mention I just don't have a major connection to the team due to being from Houston and never watching hockey growing up.

DonnyMost likes this.
  17. DCkid

The Nats entire success depends on them NOT playing their bullpen (or at least minimizing it as much as possible). Seems hard to argue with the results up to this point.

18. rockets13champs

It’s a rockets mvp joke. We all hate Giannis here

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I agree. Playoff hockey is like a speed trip. ****'s wild.

I barely follow the Caps, but come playoff time, I crank it.

20. plee

plee Member

I used to go see the original Aeros back in the Coliseum/Summit days...I always thought it would catch on since it was pretty rough and heck fighting!?! Thought, this would attract football fans but I guess not enough scoring, blah blah...

Definitely, better watching live. Heck, I watched a few adult hockey games at Memorial mall this year waiting for the wife to finish shopping...