1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NLDS] Astros vs. Braves Games 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 4, 2004.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's just one person's opinion. nothing to get so worked up over. you should be more calm and accept our fate.

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

but the thing is he always hits the ball hard right at a position player, everytime. He's been hitting hard groundballs directly at fielders for five post-seasons now.

frustrating to watch.

3. francis 4 prez

no doubt. it would be hard to do worse/be more unlucky in the postseason than biggio. hell, look at the first inning, crushes a ball but it's a foot foul. maybe biggio should just pull a costanza and start doing everything the exact opposite of his instincts. how much worse could it get?

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Isn't Furcal supposed to be in jail?

5. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

dude, we don't need to hear this right now...

even if it comes true, how does saying that help or even is logical at a time like this right now...

a lot of us are angry and upset but we're still holding out hope

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

seriously depressed now....... :(

In addition to not sweeping the JAZZ of MLB, now I have to fu*king sell my sh!tty ass nosebleed seats for the Texans/Vikings team in order to get my heart ripped out again by this team. I'll lose money and have a heartbreak on the same day.......

Classic Astros. Build you up with so much hope, promise, and hype, only to come tumbling down to bunch of chokers.....

(REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY....)

i still believe....

7. francis 4 prez

what do you want me to say? awesome game? i have a great feeling about game 3 based on past history? this was just an aberration?

i'll still be watching whatever part of the game i can see (i'll be at the UT/ou game for the first part of it) and watch games 4 and 5 but i can't muster any hope and i don't feel like faking it just to fake it. it's not like we'll step up because i type that i have faith on a message board.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I really thought it would be another route after Bagwell hit that homer in the first. Can’t believe how poorly the Stros were hitting.

9. hoang17

i'm not asking you to fake it or asking you to say it was an awesome game

i'm just saying that everyone realizes the history of our team and that we choke, nothing's new with that...but why make the statement that we have to calm down and accept our fate??

if everybody in houston does what you tell them to do, there wouldn't be any fan support and we'll always lose...everyone right now isn't all optimistic, but at least we don't kick our team when they're down

10. hoang17

sorry double post

11. Elienator

Elienator Member

If the Braves were a respectable organization, he would be suspended. It's not even his first DUI.

But that's really an excuse anyway. This was a game Atlanta gave them every opportunity to win, and the Astros didn't take it. No one said winning was going to be easy. At least we'll get to see what the make-up of this team is. I'm glad there is someone like Clemen's on this team right now.

On the positive side, it took 14 hits, an error, 11 innings, and the best pitching performance the braves are going to get to eek out a win. If you look at it in those terms, you can have a positive outlook going into game 3.

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Well, this may be a totally different team from 98, 99, 01 (as they keep reminding us) ... but it sure is bringing back some awful deja vu.

You know, I really don't want to hear any more about all that Cubs fans and Red Sox fans have had to suffer. Pound-for-pound we Astro fans have had to suffer just as much as anyone the past 24 years.

Let's see what Backe can do on Saturday. One thing's for sure -- MMP should be loud.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

does anyone else think garner poorly managed the game when he took out oswalt and put in lidge in the 7th?

when he did it i didn't like it and even if it would have worked out i didn't like it. i don't know why he had to take out oswalt and second i don't know why he couldn't put in gallo. it's not like we were in a tight situation with the bases loaded or a man in scoring position.

14. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Yes. And not bunting with Biggio was a bad move. But he's been managaing by his gut all year, and it usually has worked.

So what happens to the crybaby Braves' protest now?

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

You know, I really don't understand what some Astros fans are watching out there...

...because some of the callers are criticizing Garner for pinch hitting Lane for Biggio late in the game. Even Charlie Paulillo, who I always agree with, said the move was questionable.

He says that if our leadoff hitter is going to be pinch hit like that, then Lane should just start on Saturday.

Hell Yeah. I'd like to see Lane start. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

16. francis 4 prez

as a city, houston has to be far ahead of everyone else. not only do we have the stros delivering heartbreak year in and year out now, we got 2 huge doses of it in 1980 and 1986. then we had UH go to 3 straight final 4's and lose in the finals in the most heartbreaking way possible. then we had the oilers blow a 32 point lead on top of many other comeback losses in the playoffs and that TD against the steelers that didn't count.

and hell, the only sport we broke through in, the NBA, is where chicago has 6 titles and boston has 16 so they don't even have that on us. who else can compete with us for torturing it's fans? i guess at least our teams for the most part avoid utter suckiness like other cities sometimes get and we mostly put competitive teams out there, but that just means we get more chances to deliver postseason pain.

no doubt. i just don't see how he could do it. it seemed like an "oh my God it's the playoffs i have to do something way different than what got us the 36-10 finish" move*. people like lidge who are super dominant for a long stretch then go to something real important where it really really counts always make me nervous. it's a combination of everyone talking up their invincibility to the point you figure it won't last and just plain ol' you're gonna blow one some time thrown in. the remedy to me is to give them a nice, normal situation to succeed in. i know that's not always possible but asking for 8 outs is way out of lidge's comfort zone (even if he's got the arm to do it, it's not something we've had him do ever) and when you throw in only having a one run lead it was just setting him up for failure and that's what we got. keep oswalt, your 20 game winner with 88 pitches in. if he gets through it, great. if he doesn't, you've got lidge still instead of wasting his closing ability on a tie game. and like you said, there was only a guy on first, let one of the other relievers take a shot first (you will have to trust them at some point) and if things get bad bring in lidge to stop the bleeding. but throwing in lidge right off the bat just seemed bad bad bad to me. live and learn i guess. painful lesson.

*maybe we should've had gene hackman come out and measure the distance to home plate to show garner it was still 60'6.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's more Charlie dissing Biggio, than disagreeing with Phil pinch-hitting for him.

He's simply saying that Biggio IS a liability out there, and chances are if its meaningful... and you're going to pinch-hit for him (which, trust me, he'd do it too)... why the hell is he stealing 3 other AB's in this playoffs?

18. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

No one's got more to lose than Furcal from being eliminated from the playoffs. He goes to jail the day after the Braves are eliminated.

Today was a heartbreaker, but we'll get 'em at home.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When he hits the ball at all, most of them go down the third base line.

No shocker.

DD

20. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

WHYYYYY Astros WHYYYYYy!?!?!? Today was such a dissapointment, I'm in such a bad mood now.

Biggio dissapointed today to say the least. Garner messed up. I can't believe Lidge gave up a run, first time in how long? Wait'a show up this series Kent.:rolleyes:

Even though they only had four hits, they still should have won this game. This team is so maddening!:mad:

I wish they would have swept, so I wouldn't have had to think about them so I wouldn't have to think about 'em while I'm at the Texans game. 4 games will just have to do.