1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Wild Card Weekend

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 28, 2014.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I'm sure you never watch Dez. Or Calvin. Calvin would never do that. Dez is like someone taking 10 pills of Adderall; dude is always hyped.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Better to let the salty rub and scratch at the calluses of their open wound. Arguing over real or perceive bias in referees is almost always a lost cause. In every game thread of every NBA and NFL game I've read, proponents of the losers and winners complain tirelessly of the unfair officiating, regardless of the reality.

Anyways that was a great game, marred slightly IMO by one call which may or may not have changed the outcome of the game. Looking forward to the green bay relax vs the Dallas romos in hopefully another thriller. Rooting for a great game!

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The only thing wrong with that "no-call" was the wayear they did it.

I think they ultimately made the right call because the offensive player was pushing off too (I'm a Cowboys fan, call me biased, i don't care).

What made it bad was that they picked it up AFTER they had already announced it. If they would have come together and decided before making the announcement, then there wouldn't have been much backlash.

This is the problem with getting groups of refs that haven't worked together all season. I think that is stupid.

4. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

It did not SLIGHTLY mar the game.

That's like saying the refs in the 2002 WCF in the SAC-LAL series were "not quite perfect".

That pitiful call by the refs was far and away the most impactful play in the game.

Regardless of what the call was on the pass interference, to just blindly ignore Dez Bryant running onto the field without his helmet is simply asinine.

This is the kind of horrific call which detracts from the sports credibility.

The fix was pretty clearly in today IMO. Some of the holding the Cowboys OL got away with on the game winning drive was just mind boggling.

The Cowboys did not win that game. The officials did...and anyone not affiliated with the Cowboys pretty clearly saw that.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Im pretty sure Romos TD pass won that game, just sayin. I always claim how much I hate the refs due to it always seemingly going against my teams. Not today but they should have explained why the flag was picked up by saying it was a penalty on both sides negating the flag.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You're going to rant about holding calls that weren't called on the game winning drive? seriously? i guess detroit deserves no blame and did not lose the game in your eyes as well?

7. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Detroit got screwed by the refs LOL...

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Uh yeah it did SLIGHTLY mar the game. Don't be daft man.
    Did the Lions not get the ball back with a chance to win the game? I'm sure that play just affected Riley Rieff so badly he forgot how to block right? c'mon.

If you still want to go with the silly belief that the Cowboys didn't win the game blah blah blah, then how many points did the Lions score in the 2nd half before and after the call? I'm sure they were on a scoring roll like in the 1st half right?

Not quite.

It was a game. The refs made bad decisions like they do in EVERY SINGLE GAME IN EVERY SINGLE SPORT. Get over it and blame the Oline. Blame the QB. Blame the WR's and blame the OCoord.
    They had a chance to win the game and they didn't. Simple.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You would think that Dallas had won a playoff game, before. :p

1 person likes this.
  10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

can someone give me a logical reason why dez wasn't flagged for a unsportsmanlike penalty when he rushed onto the field without his helmet? i guess you can say i'm grasping at straws, but then...

this situation isn't the first time it happened: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-shocked-by-penalty-for-removing-his-helmet/

the only thing i can think of is that maybe it doesn't apply to players on the sideline, but only on the field. then again, that'd be even more ridiculous.

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Like I said, there's zero or little to gain in arguing with how bias or rigged the officiating was, as I doubt it'll change anyones opinion. I thought the game like most games had some glaring mistakes by officials, but did not ultimately decide who won or lost the game. If you believe the refs were bought, biased, unfair, incompetent or the main reason the cowboys won, more power to you.

Lastly I'm Niner fan and since they've failed to even make the playoffs, I'm only rooting for enjoyable games and perhaps a little bit against the seahawks tho I'm a big rwilson, lynch fan.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;Face-guarding is not a foul.&quot; - Referee Pete Morelli on flag/no flag play. Head linesman thought it was face-guarding.</p>&mdash; Stefan Stevenson (@StevensonFWST) <a href="https://twitter.com/StevensonFWST/status/551931217897988097">January 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The head linesman overuled the back judge. He said there was no contact but there was face guarding. So the flag was picked up.</p>&mdash; Clarence Hill (@clarencehilljr) <a href="https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/551931251225939968">January 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. macho87

macho87 Member

A niner fan who's a lynch/wilson fan?

14. conquistador#11

eh detroit got an outrageous flop go their way with the punter early on. it was an obvious make up call. don't hate the call, hate that the game was played in dallas. had it been in detroit, p.i would have been the call all the way.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Didn't Dallas score on the possession they received due to the flag pick up? Maybe Detroit only gets a fg, maybe they don't score at all, and maybe Dallas doesn't get that field position and score either.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Maybe if the refs correctly call holding against the defense for groping Witten they get a TD instead of the 51 yard field goal.

Maybe if they had called running into the punter (against Detroit) we would have gotten a TD. They called the same thing on Dallas.

Terrible calls each way. However that was not Pass interference on Hitchens. Go watch a different angle. The receiver was grabbing his mask. Hitchens was just trying to swat the guys arm and move him off of him.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

wrong. sliding under a punter's feet is a penalty.

try again, lol.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Huge fan of lynch since he was at my alma mater UC Berkeley. Wilson ever since I met him in Seattle during his rookie year. In fact if it wasn't for Pete Carroll and Sherman, the seahawks would be one of my favorite teams.

As a lot of other people in the bay area, ive spent a lot of time for work/pleasure in Seattle.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

You are aware Detroit had 2 chances to win afterward right. They fumbled. Then recovered. Then they fumbled.

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Pettigrew did grab the the face mask of the defensive player.
    other bad call was when Murray scored a TD, a witten was call for holding.
    also Harris called for fair catch, and the lions player bumped him, and they didnt throw a flag, so it was bad calls for both teams.
    Also why they lift the suspension on Suh?

Also the Lions were running the ball so well, but after they got 14-0 they forgot about running the football, so the Lions had tons of chances to put this game away, and they couldnt do it.
    and Calvin Johnson disapeared in a big game.

Im not a cowboys fan, but I dont hate them.
    I agree that the refs would have got together to discuss the penalty before they announced anything.