1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He looked bad all preseason as well. As John Clayton just said on ESPN, the Eagles goofed up trading McNabb and now they don't know which way to go.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

I thought Reid was the one that wanted McNabb to stay but the locker room wanted Kolb?

I think that was reported at some point in the off-season.

3. Lil Pun

I honestly don't think Reid wanted McNabb to go. He wanted to stick with him but Lurie, Roseman, Banner, and the fan base outweighed his preference.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well so then he's even more justified in starting Vick then.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Oh please.

Don't give me that.

A (essentially) rookie QB looks bad in the pre-season? OMG!

He got 2 quarters to be "the guy".

Hope they're ready to open up the check book if Vick keeps winning, cause that's what they're gonna have to do.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Considering the fact that Reid handpicked Kolb before the McNabb force-out began, I don't see your logic there.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It was stupid to trade McNabb, it's even dumber to bail on your investment after one half of football.

Everything I see in this scenario points to Vick doing reasonably well, and then bolting for a payout once the season ends, leaving them with Kevin Kolb and his completely unchanged learning curve since they decided not to stick with him and let him take his lumps (no pun intended).

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Look broman, Vick is simply playing inspired football, you're caught between a rock and hard place right now because Kevin Kolb is the guy you're supposed to be committed to, but if Kevin Kolb goes back into the fire right now and doesn't play well, he's going to be run out of Philly quicker than Santa Claus. The Philly fans are fickle, but the fans, the players, and the organization all understand that Mike Vick is balling nicely right now, they've got a decent amount of money invested in him... Why break up a good thing? You ride the hot hand, its a simple principle.

9. Asian Sensation

Nice post moes.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Kolb can go back to starting if Vick plays poorly against Jacksonville.

That would take pressure off of him if he was announced as the starter if Vick plays bad for 2 weeks straight(Jacksonville and Washington).

Maybe Reid doesn't think Kolb can mentally be ready to go out there and lead the team with all this controversy and pressure.

Question is will Vick continue to improve and prove his doubters wrong. I hope so, I hope he plays great for the rest of the year outside of the Atlanta game.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Two issues with that.

1) From a business perspective, it's a horrible decision.

2) Inspired football? Really?

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Looks like he is inspiring the offensive players on the team.

They definitely seem to be playing with a lot more energy with Vick in there.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

How is it bad from a business perspective? You win games, you get more fan interest, you make more money.

Inspired football too hyperbolic for you? Well lets go straight from the horse's mouth then...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...el-vick-is-playing-out-of-his-mind-right-now/

Kolb's injury is what set this all in motion, unfortunate but it happens. You get replaced by somebody there is always the chance that the team is going to look better without you.

Reid's job is to win football games, and right now he has a better chance of winning football games by starting Vick over Kolb.

Now Andy is certainly sipping the Vick Kool-Aid right now, but even if the Philly Fans turn on Vick before the National Anthem is over next week, from a pure coaching perspective... this is still the right call.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

John Clayton just explained what went on behind the scenes. He basically said

-With how poor the line is they feel like the offensive line will expose Kolb to another possible Concussion.
    -With how poor the line is Vick gives them the best chance to win.
    -Reid never said that Kolb would start in the Press Conference after the Lions game.

Also said Reid called Vick while Vick was at a charity event and Vick was shocked.

Reid called Kolb and Kolb was not happy about the decision.

15. Lil Pun

I'll say what MadMax said, preseason isn't as worthless as most people make it out to be because you get a sneak peek of what your dealing with. Kolb never lead the first team offense in the end zone. In that one half of football he looked absolutely lost with no pocket presence whatsoever.

Ask moes, Shaud, and others i have discussed this with numerous time but I've explained about Kolb and how he has never looked like a starting QB in this league, from his first significant action in Baltimore two years ago to his two overrated starts last year to his horrible start this year, Kolb has never looked the part.

16. Asian Sensation

Vick vs. Mcnabb week 4 makes for a damn good game for me.

17. Lil Pun

How so? Kolb and Vick both have contracts that run out after this season. If Vick does well resign him to a multi-year deal, if Kolb steps back in and shows promise, sign him. It's really that simple.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yes Pun has said this plenty of times. When Kolb came in the game he never was impressive. He's not the only one who has said this.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Michael Vick has a ton of fans. Most Falcons fans, especially the black ones, still love Michael Vick. He is perhaps the most entertaining player in football. And Vick has shown he can win games, which means the playoffs. Kolb is 26, I wouldn't sacrifice a year of winning for his possible development when I have a proven vet.

I think trading McNabb was a good move considering the compensation received and his age.

20. Lil Pun

Vick just gives them the best chance to win, I wouldn't automatically hand them a playoff berth or even a winning record simply because he is the starter. I do think that if Kolb is the future, this is detrimental to his development but the Eagles have to do what gives them the best chance to win. Simple as that!

Although Nate Allen has two interceptions in his first two games as a pro, I don't think the compensation is that good not to mention this pass defense is still somewhat of a joke. Yes, McNabb was aging but he can still ball and has led this team to the playoffs 8 of his 11 years here and made it to the conference title game the majority of the times he has reached the playoffs not to mention that a lot of the times he had some subpar talent. Again, there is simply no way you give up a franchise quarterback for an unproven commodity, in my opinion.