1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Sep 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I think they have the chance to be better, that's what I meant.

Obviously Elway is top 3 greatest of all time and Marino top 5 but the 2004 class looks very promising..

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Elway, early in his career, was taking teams to Super Bowls that had no business being there otherwise. I've never seen a QB do more with less than that guy.

3. Obito

I just simply can't put anyone in front of Joe Montana..

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i simply can't imagine what john elway would have done with a team like that surrounding him. i can't imagine it would be less than what joe montana did.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

There's always this never dying, unending debate, between two Future HoFs...Elway or Marino not included...but two QBs who played on the same team.

Who was the better QB between (or who was the best in 49ers history) . . .

Young and Montana.

I know (most people, like myself) will always point to Montana being the better QB by far, because of the Super Bowls.

But, when you look closer at the numbers and actual skills, they favor Steve Young, who not only had a stronger arm, but was also dual threat at rushing.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

montana, marino, and elway

I think if you switched any of those QBs with that 49ers championship team with Rice and Roger Craig and Ronny Lot, they'd win a super bowl.

montana, however, had that aura that he could never lose.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Put Barry Sanders in Dallas with one of the greatest O-lines of all time and tell me he wouldn't have shattered Walter Payton's record 2 years before Emmitt Smith did.

8. Obito

I mean in late 80's he did take his team to the Superbowl 3 times with nobody but I mean he lost those 3 superbowls by a difference of 86 points...

It wasn't until Terell Davis and Shanahan got there that he actually won both.

I mean he's definitely top 3 for me but Joe Montana's 3 SB MVP's, 4 SB rings and 2 MVP awards deserve the award as GOAT.

I'd also put Johnny U infront of him but you really can't go wrong with all 3 of them.

I don't mind if you think Elway is the best ever.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What is this? NFL Week 2 in 1989?

10. Obito

I think some of you guy need to read on Johnny Unitas..

He's not even getting mentioned..

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Put Reggie Bush in Barry Sanders' situation, and... um, yeah. :D

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give Marino a defense and he would've gotten a super bowl victory.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I laugh when people say Elway is overrated, because of his lower passing numbers and QB rating (completion percentage). But, what some fail to realize is that he went to 3 Super Bowls, before 1990. Pretty much carried each team on offense that had no great receivers by any means. In an offense run by Dan Reeves. Talk about conservative. But usually, when Elway was unleashed, the Broncos started to win more often, especially in big games.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

**** Unitas. How about some Sammy Baugh up in this b****! YA Tittle... Bobby Lane... Norm Van Brocklin...

15. Obito

:rolleyes:

Oh moes.

Dan Fout and the Air Coryell era, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow, John Jefferson and Wes Chandler? I bet you remember that. :cool:

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Do you mean Dan Fouts?

Oh and Johnny Unitas played with a Colts defense that was unquestionably the most dominant of its time. Gino Marchetti, Art Donovan, etc.

Get your mind right fool...

17. Obito

Yes I missed the "s" in Fouts...

That is true..

but that doesn't take away the fact that he was one of the best of all times...

Unitas owned every passing record in NFL history for a longggggggg time, most of which were surpassed by Fran Tarkenton.

Plus his record of throwing a touchdown pass in 47 consecutive games (between 1956-1960) slaps you in the face.

All in good debate Moes.. :)

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Brees and the Saints offense put up points the problem was defense. The Bucs and Panthers defense were not any slouches the last few years neither.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Where are you going??? You said Rivers doesn't have the defense that Roethlisberger and Manning do but he is probably a better QB because of stats. Then you agree Unitas had a great defense but say it shouldn't take away from his greatness. :confused: :confused: :confused:

20. Obito

Johnny U was a Super Bowl Champion 2 time NFL World Champion 10× Pro Bowl selection 6× First-team All-Pro selection.

Big Ben's passer rating was 22.6, the lowest in Super Bowl history by a winning quarterback.

By no means do I think Big Ben is not a great quarterback.. I just think that if you give Rivers that defense and an actually healthy team (LT, Gates, O-Line)... than he would have a superbowl.