1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Sep 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

No doubt about it that drive in the SB should be in the dictionary under clutch.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Given that we're talking passer rating, I think it's kind of ironic that Manning's legacy year (finally beating Brady, winning a SB) was marked by some of his worst postseason play in terms of passer rating -- but hey, it works. He got the monkey off his back and he need that in the worst way.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Donovan needs it in the worst way. :(

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I feel for ya. The Eagles pretty much have written the book on close, heart-breaking losses in the postseason. Especially last year -- who knows what happens in that wild game against the Cardinals if Kevin Curtis didn't get tackled on that incompletion.

An all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl would have been one for the ages.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Might have had one if Patriots weren't cheaters

Rocket River

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I can't believe they drafted Ginn that high. he's a kick returner

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Dude, if you really don't think every team in the league has a similar practice (or that it helped enough to make a significant difference), you're one of the most naive fans I've ever come across in my life. Good grief.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is spot on. I tend to agree with a point Major made a week or so ago -- that perhaps Ben's late-game success/discrepancy isn't so much because he plays poorly early, but because the Steelers are so insistent on pounding a running game (one that sucks) that they constantly put him in third-and-long, obvious passing situations where obviously any QB will have a hard time.

But as the game progresses and they realize they have to score, they tend to open up the offense more on first and second downs, and Ben's success rate climbs. I haven't studied enough Steelers games myself to say for certain, but it makes a lot of sense. When Ben needs to make plays and is in the right position to do so, he generally does...

9. Lil Pun

Yeah, I just get sick of the media and, of all people, Philly fans denouncing the guy. I really hope he wins one to shut them up and give himself a little break.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

I used to think Ben was overrated but after watching him some games last year and in the playoffs I stopped thinking that. He made so many plays.

Basically when watching Pittsburgh you're going to get a slow grind it out hard hitting game for most of the game.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

attempting justify the cheaters . . . . EVERYONE DOES IT!! *chuckle*

so your argument is. . they were better cheaters? *grin*

Rocket River

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Big Ben used to be overrated. He isn't any more. He was terrible against the Seahawks in his first Super Bowl. The Steelers won that game IN SPITE OF him. At that point in his career, for the most part he managed games. But like Terry Bradshaw before him, Big Ben has grown into a QB that can win games with his arm sometimes. Historically, Bradshaw is incredibly overrated and was often carried by the talent on those great teams. What Bradshaw did that stood out was he usually played his very best in big games, which is an admirable quality.

With pass protection and good weather, nobody in the NFL can touch Peyton Manning. He is like a skilled surgeon. In less than ideal conditions, Big Ben has the edge.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well before this year I would take Brady over Manning. Obviously not right now since Brady either is rusty or hasn't fully recovered (could be both).

Drew Brees is the best QB right now though. You could make the case that he was the best QB last year.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Anybody think the Rivers, Big Ben, Eli draft was better than the Kelly, Marino and Elway class?

I do.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I used to believe that, but Manning is probably the best QB in the league in any weather.

He's had some monster games or very clutch performances against some very good defenses in bad weather.

What stands out the most was the Pittsburgh from last year and few of his performances against Baltimore?

Brees is a good QB, but he is nowhere in Manning's or Brady's league. I don't think Brees can win a game on his arm alone against a very tough defense or a team with good pass coverage. Look at how many playoff appearances, he has had with the Saints. If you put Giselle's husband or Manning #1 on the Saints from the last few years, both QBs help those same teams to 11 wins or better annually in a weaker conference. Neither one would be struggling against the likes of the Bucs, Falcons, and Panthers. Whose defenses seem allergic to great passing teams (especially in big games).

16. Lil Pun

Marino, Kelly, and Elway went to a combined 10 Super Bowls and won 2. Each player made the Super Bowl at least once.

Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Manning have been to a combined 3 Super Bowls but have won each of them. Rivers has yet to make an appearance and San Diego's window looks like it is closing.

I don't think the Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Manning combo have quite reached the success or statistical levels of the Marino, Kelly, and Elway combination yet but they possibly could. In that case, I give it to the seniors.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I could say that River's is the best out of the other two though. Not because i'm a Chargers fan but because he has had better stats. I mean Big Ben and Eli have great defenses.. Rivers doesn't....

18. Lil Pun

Stats alone do not make a quarterback better.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rivers, Roethlisberger and Eli better than Marino / Kelly / Elway?

Put down the crack pipe son.

Marino and Elway are 2 of the 5 best QBs of all time.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely, positively not.

John Elway is, in my mind, the greatest QB of all time.

Dan Marino is AT LEAST one of the top 5 QB's of all time.

We'll see how these guys progress...but there's no way I can say that draft class is better RIGHT NOW.