1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 10

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Nov 12, 2009.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. They're all connected. Guys like Kelly who don't watch the game every Sunday (just speculating here, of course) rely on the big picture stories from the media. What do they hear? That Brady is coming off major ACL surgery and has only played half a season (no playoffs) in the past two years.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

So then his opinion isn't valid... so lets go by the guys who are actually in the media?

Fouts, Moon, Bradshaw, Young, Marino, Aikman?

3 for Manning, 2 abstain, 1 for Brady?

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

why am i not surprised mike brown wants to sign larry johnson? i guess it could work out, winning could cure a lot of woes, prob should make him shut down his twitter if he still has it.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Whats the word on Benson?

They're playing Oakland next week, surely Bernard Scott and/or Brian Leonard could torch that horrific run defense.

5. The Cat

You're now at a sample size of six, maybe four depending on how you look at it. Don't think anyone would consider that significant enough to mean anything.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sure, and I wasn't really trying to make the argument that Manning is clearly better than Brady. I think what Steve Young said is probably the closest thing to the "right" answer in that article.

I just thought it was an interesting article to get the perspective of guys who have played the position better than anyone else.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

So far no word on Benson that I have heard... been looking to see.

I didn't realize yall were talking about Johnson in here.. I shouldn't have started a thread on it.

8. The Cat

By the way, if anyone's still dumb enough to think the official got the call right:

http://twitpic.com/ps1fv/full

This is the best angle I could find. Note that the ball is COMPLETELY possessed at this point (well after the bobble), and on the right side (our left) of his jersey (covering the first 3).

So, even though he is leaning slightly, the ball is CLEARLY to the inside of his left foot, which is ON THE GROUND - possession established - and the furthest back. Look below the score and you'll see where it is.

This ball is, at a bare minimum, touching the 30. That's all New England needed to win the game.

(Also, anyone else notice how the official with the absolute WORST angle on seeing the ball and possession was allowed to make the spot? Terrible.)

#348 The Cat, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  9. The Cat

Agreed, I'm just saying the results are a little skewed because the timing of when the poll was taken couldn't possibly be better set up for Manning to "win" in a landslide.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

schefter and mortensen reported last night the bengals expect benson to be ready by next week. who knows. and i like scott a lot. hes not the bruiser cedric is, hes more of the willie parker type, really fast. should stick with him until cedric is ready imo

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

aww. Everyone loves you too Cat.

lol...still as delusional as ever.

12. The Cat

I've brought actual data to the table to support my argument for the decision, as well as photographic evidence for the spot.

You've brought... an opinion and random insults, with little substance or facts to support either. Yeah, someone's definitely delusional here.

13. Coach AI

See, lots of us actually have these things called televisions. Also eyes. And even DVRs, which are capable of replaying over and over and over. All of which are better than a single split second still you post that doesn't really tell you anything.

Where is the outrage, Cat? Other than yourself, this should be just as big a deal as the 4th down call and all over the news/sports channels. You know why it really isn't? Because most people understand the call and how it happened. There's not much to debate.

You are clinging to it because it helps you create a strawman for your defense of the 4th down call.

But go ahead, everyone else must be dumb, right? Except Cat, of course.... :eek:

14. The Cat

How does it not really tell you anything? He has possession with a foot on the ground past the 30. First down. Case closed.

Where is the outrage? Several commentators last night, including Steve Mariucci and Deion Sanders on the NFL Network, said the spot was missed. But do you not understand the incredible motive everyone in the media has not to discuss this? Today is a gold mine for media. Everyone's debating and talking about this call. Should he have gone for it? Should he have punted? It's the biggest names in sports involved in a crucial situation that everyone can have an opinion on. It's ESPN's biggest wet dream. Likewise, no network that broadcasts or is connected with the NFL wants to put out the perception that games aren't decided "fair and square" - it's terrible for business.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/11/belichicks-4th-down-decision-vs-colts.html

Except me? No, the guys who actually crunched the percentages you vaguely cited all agree with me.

Also, I take it you haven't had any political beefs in your life, correct? After all, if the majority think something, it must automatically be right... right?

15. Coach AI

Cat, you understand we were just talking about the official's call, right?

16. The Cat

I thought you meant Belichick's decision when you said this:

If not, there's plenty of talk about the officials missing the spot. Brady, Belichick and Faulk, for starters, all said they thought they had it. Here's reaction from Boston:

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/ra...s-the-worst-call-in-the-history-of-the-nfl-2/

Mariucci and Deion both said, clear as day, that it was a first down. There are plenty of people who think he was past the 30. If you can't understand (and I say this as someone in the media) why ESPN and the major networks would much rather talk about Belichick's decision, I really don't know what to say anymore.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so now the media is conspiring to cover up a call?

relax. Your team lost. I figured a pats fan would get used to losing after the late 80's/early-mid 90's. And it's not like NE has never benefitted from a bad call

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya...and you make some great points. I wouldn't have done it. And ultimately I think it's the wrong move.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You've got it all wrong. He didn't even know the Patriots existed until Brady started winning games.

20. The Cat

Not a Patriots fan.

Dude, I'm in the media, and the media more/less cover up calls all the time! Are you kidding me? Are you really telling me that you've never noticed how analysts are quick to always back up officials, unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary? It's terrible for business to focus on blown calls - one because it makes the game seem less fair, potentially lowering interest in your product, and two because obviously the leagues themselves don't like it when you imply those things, and they can limit your access!

It's not that there's a full-blown conspiracy -- it's just common sense. Unless the call is just so bad, so flagrant that it's unavoidable to talk about, media members would prefer to talk about game issues. That's just the way it is.