1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Realignment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by dc sports, Oct 16, 2000.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

Any thoughts on the NFL Realignment?

I'd really like to see the Texans in the same division as the Titans -- that should be a rivalry.

It would also be great to have Dallas in the same division, or at least the same conference, though that is looking doubtful. Any of the traditional Dallas rivals would also translate well over to the Texans.

Anyone else?
    http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/dailydose.htm

NFL Realignment Update: Last week Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell suggested he would be prepared to see the Ravens move to another conference to accommodate the pending National Football League realignment when the Houston Texans join the league in time for the 2002 season. The league will meet in Denver on November 14 and New York on December 6 to discuss realignment. There's also a special league meeting January 17 in Dallas.

A seven-member realignment committee has been named: Ralph Wilson (Bills), Dan Rooney (Steelers), Wayne Weaver (Jags), Lamar Hunt (Chiefs), Bill Bidwill (Cards), Mike McCaskey (Bears) and Jerry Richardson (Panthers). As per their franchise relocation agreements, St. Louis, Baltimore and Tennessee do not have a realignment vote. Neither does expansion Houston. Those votes are handed over to Paul Tagliabue. The NFL has set a June 1 deadline for finalizing a plan.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. PhiSlammaJamma

ReAlignment is good. I think traditions will establish themselves over time. As long as it doesn't happen every 5 years, then realignment can be good. Washington and Baltimore belong together. Titans, Texas, and Cowboys belong together too. I think both will happen. No reason to believe it won't happen at this point in time. Onwers are cheap. If they can save money they will do it (travel). If they can make money on a rivalry they will do it.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

I would love to see the Cowboys and the Texans in the same division.

I've heard that they won't do it though -- because of TV. They seem to feel that the two Texas teams would have much the same viewership -- people who watch one are likely to keep up with both. They would prefer to have them matched up with teams from different regions, to draw more viewers. (A Dallas-Houston game would draw lots of Texas viewers, but a Houston-Miami game would draw viewers from two areas.)

I'd love to see the rivalry -- but I don't think they'll do it.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Interesting point you make. Makes sense. It's all about bringing big markets together. Good economics. At the same time, it seems like the individual owners are looking to establish local rivalries. Yet, have been left powerless to do so. They are at the will of the League. I hope common sense rules out and the rivalries are established.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited October 16, 2000).]

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Assuming they did go with teams in the same area in the same division how might they line-up, my american geopgraphy isn't great but heres some potential divisions

Houston
    Tenn
    Dallas
    New Orleans

NY Jets
    Giants
    Buffalo
    Patriots

Phili
    Redskins
    Ravens
    Carolina

Chicago
    Minnesota
    GB
    Detroit

Miami
    TB
    Atlanta
    Jags

KC
    Denver
    Rams
    Arizona

Raiders
    49ers
    San Diego
    Seattle

Cincy
    Cleveland
    Pittsburg
    Indy

------------------
    www.NOPostCount.com

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

While your geography is good, it'll never happen that way Smeg - Washington, Arizona, Philly and the NY Giants would raise holy hell cause the Cowboys are the big money-makers for them. Besides, The Cards are moving anyway. There are also rivalries that should probably be left intact.

My Opinion :

I'd keep the NFC East the same, except for 'Zona - Dallas, Washington, Philly and the Giants.

I'd like an NFC North with Green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit.

I'd want an NFC South with Arizona, Tampa, Carolina and Jacksonville(Brought over to even things out).

I'll accept an NFC West with San Fran, San Diego(Traded for New Orleans), Atlanta and St. Louis.

The AFC East is too entertaining to break-up, except for Indy - NY Jets, Buffalo, Miami and New England.

How about an AFC North with Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Cincinatti? This one may be too regional, perhaps substituting Indy for New England might work better.

Then of course the AFC South would have Houston(expansion), New Orleans(traded for San Diego), Tennessee and Baltimore.

Finally the AFC West would have Denver, Kansas City, Oakland and Seattle.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?