1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL probing Patriots' possible use of deflated balls during AFC Championship

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tallanvor, Jan 19, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ESPN reports Patriots taped opposing teams signals in 40 games from 2000-2007. <a href="http://t.co/0oXvs6Narm">http://t.co/0oXvs6Narm</a></p>&mdash; Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) <a href="https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/641235973322469377">September 8, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

**** *** organization.

Lie. Cheat. Lie. Cheat. Lie. Cheat. Rinse. Repeat.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Oh for f*** sake. Can we just get on with the season already?

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to inject this story intravenously. The image of NFL employees stomping on tapes to destroy evidence is too beautiful.

What would have to be done for fans to turn on the NFL? Goodell performing ritual sacrifice midfield during a Super Bowl halftime while Belichick filmed it with a super 8?

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Highly doubt they stopped after 2007

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It is sad that the path the NFL has taken has led to what we have now,
    a focus on the process and the procedures, and not on how the Patriots have
    a history of cheating, with deflate-gate only being the latest.

I have heard many a pundit say you have to treat each instance separately.
    Or you have to have definitive evidence. Etc. I'm not sure why?

The story that is getting buried here is that the Patriots, and Brady, are cheaters.
    It might be "normal course of business" type cheating. But then, there really is no such thing.
    They cheated before, they continued to cheat, and they did knowingly cheat to deflate the balls.

Aside from Patriots fans, no one really disputes that.

What has happened is Brady "took the fall for Bellicheck", since he couldn't be caught so obviously cheating again.
    He clearly was aware of it, the whole Patriots culture permeates top down from Bill.
    And Brady took the fall, while saying as little as possible to avoid being suspended for the Superbowl.
    And while handing over as little evidence as possible because... duh.

But the NFL completely botched it from there. I'm not sure how exactly they should have gone about it.
    But I have no problem with a blanket statement which basically says the organization has a long history of cheating,
    and it, and any player that was remotely associated with it, will be held accountable as the league office deems appropriate.

What this case has made clear is that the old saying is correct...
    it isn't cheating if you don't get caught.

Sometimes things like logic are way too often overlooked.
    This is not a confusing chain of events.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

See...this is what's funny about the Patriots and the NFL. They've cheated so blatantly for so long now, people are just content to forget about it. People don't even care about the cheating, they just want the media cycle to end.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I'm just hoping Goodells' continued blunders have finally put the nail in his coffin. I can't ****ing stand the guy, with his continued misuse of power and plain moronic discipline rulings.

11. i3artow i3aller

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/etDmlUZezHP/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Patriots and Goodell deserve each other.

13. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

brady and patriots should never be mentioned with likes of a franchise like the san antonio spurs... a team that did it the right way, and a real mastermind coach

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LOL

F*** Bruce Bowen

F*** that dirty flopper Ginobili

and F*** Popovich for enabling them all

15. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NS_9PcJ18Ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

at they didnt cheat.... who knows maybe mcnabb and terrell owens are superbowl champs if not for spygate

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You guys seriously believe this kind of cheating isn't rampant throughout the league?

The Pats may be the worst, but they surely aren't the only ones

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Cheating is rampant in life, but these days, you will eventually get caught. If not now, when science catches up. So there's no more getting away with it like in the old days. I think it interesting to think about the people who were so close to getting away. Clemens. Armstrong. But that one more time always gets you. Brady the same. But he wanted one more Superbowl, and it cost him. There is where the regret sets in. The Bitterness. They wonder the rest of their lives could they have done it clean, and why didn't they just stop. Now he has to explain this to his family or lie the rest of his life.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This could explain the motivation for over penalizing deflategate, where the CBA probably allowed only for fines. And then the lack of cooperation precedent also allowed for more fines (see Bret Favre refusing to show his cell phone dong pics).

So the owners were all pissed that Goodell destroyed all the spygate evidence and under-penalized the Pats for being caught cheating and probably being the worst offenders of stealing coaching signs and game plans for 7 years. That's why they pushed him to go after the Pats this time around. This is probably why his job is safe, even though he has made an enemy out of Kraft.