1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL probing Patriots' possible use of deflated balls during AFC Championship

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tallanvor, Jan 19, 2015.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

The ruling doesn't change anyone's perception of Brady. He could cure cancer and the crybabies would still whine about it. JJ Watt hasn't done anything bad and everyone outside of Houston hates him. Hater gonna hate. But if Brady accepted the suspension, he would lose his supporters.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If they knew anything more it would be in the report. Everything else was circumstancial. I'm not saying he didn't have anything to do with it, but there wasn't enough evidence to suspend Brady. The patriots on the other hand did get punished because the equipment manager was an employee.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This will be remembered as the most pointless, overblown, and embarrassing "scandal" the NFL has ever dealt with. Please just end this. Does anybody really care?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's over in my mind. ;)

This was January of this year of the 2014/15 season in a game they won 45-7. It's September and the 2015/16 season is beginning. Why are we still talking about this? Why wasn't this settled long ago? Lets move on already.

PS: I hope the Brady & Patriots rip that Colts ass again in week 5 or 6, whenever they play and run the score up.

Little pansy *** *******. :grin: YOU lOST 45-7. But but Mr. Commish, their balls were soft! Ravens too.

#744 J.R., Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And Arod, manny, ortiz.

6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Any other ruling than this would have been a tragedy for NFL players and NFL fans.

Goodell and the NFL severely over reached. There was absolutely no evidence of anything ever occurring. Even the reported 11 of 12 deflated balls was fabricated. There isn't even any evidence that the balls where either deflated or even over inflated. The process of which the refs check the balls is a sham and extremely lax. The NFL has no clue about whether anything was tampered with or not.

Goodell decided he was going to crucify Brady to finally cement his legacy as the end all be all of the NFL. If this were a legal case, it wouldn't have even been scheduled for a trial. The basis of claim from the NFL is all on dumb texts from middle aged adults communicating like teenagers, some official from another team b****ing about possible cheating, miscommunication within the league offices saying that the balls were found faulty when there was no such evidence, and an assumed fault of Brady because he was the QB of the team being investigated.

The "independent" investigate was a farse from the get go, and once again this debacle show how out of touch with reality Goodell truly is. The clout he's earned among team owners is ridiculous, and purely based on the revenue he's brought in through rights negotiating. Any one with a degree in marketing and half a ****ing brain could have negotiated the ESPN/Fox/CBS/ABC contracts. The league sells it's ****in' self.

I hope to god they back their threat of appeal, in what 90+% of all people who appeal cases ruled against them, always fail. I hope this is the nail is Goodells coffin.

7. Nook

Nook Member

We really don't know any of this. The NFL has the burden of proof and failed to meet it. The CBA also has a rule for the infraction, a $25,000 fine.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am glad just let it die and let's get back to football.

DD

9. Nook

Nook Member

What a joke.

Wait and attempt to ambush a club at the Conference Championship game.

Then at said Conference game not even measure both teams balls.

Then not hand down the punishment on the books ($25,000)

Then release/link the allegations before the Super Bowl

Then hire a lawyer to give the NFL the investigation report they want.

Then leak factually inaccurate information on the deflated footballs

Ultimately have your lawyer investigator admit he left out pro Brady evidence out of the report, eliminating any possible belief in objectivity.

Then have the Commish say he will be the independent arbitrator.

Then when brough to the Federal Court... Get slapped again for like the 5-6th straight time.

Put the cherry on top by appealing so the NFL can be slapped yet again.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Man, how many lives does Roger Goodell get before he is outta there?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know why anyone thought that the rules would apply to Tom Brady, they never have before.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah... You mean a $25,000 fine?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's hard to read the report and not think it. Of course that's not good enough when you go to court though.

That's not really what this ruling was about. It was about whether Goodell had the legal right to punish Brady (and the manner chosen) based on the CBA. Even if they had busted Brady dead-to-rights, it doesn't look like the CBA definitively backs what they were attempting to do. This has been Goodell's trademark recently, vastly overreeaching and taking huge liberties with the vague powers granted to him in the CBA, and losing later in court.

That's what McNair said should have happened from the get-go, and in retrospect I agree. If you don't have the goods on Brady, just change the protocols and move on. I don't think Brady/Pats would have thrown a shi1fit over 25K, but who knows.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

It it were a legal case, Brady would have been required to turn over his phone as evidence.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

DonnyMost is right. The verdict isn't about whether Brady cheated or not. It's about the NFL violating the procedures that both sides agreed on in the CBA. There were like 4 main procedural rules that he violated according to Brady's defense team, headed by D. Smith. I'll try to find the info somewhere. Mainly, I just like listening to D. Smith interviews...dude is very smart and a good listen.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

S*** about to go nuclear

19. underrated015

underrated015 Member

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

ESPN is in the NFL's pocket. The NFL ain't happy with the Pats. Drama time!