1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Mar 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Member

You know, normally I'd call for a suspension, but I figure opposing players are going to deal with him in a way that no league punishment can match.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They were just talking about it on in the trenches on 790 and quannel x called in. Greg lock let him have it and in glad

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If the NFL doesn't hand down any kind of fine or suspension in addition to what the team fined him, then that is a total failure of leadership by Roger Goodell in my book. He deserves more than an internal team fine imo. In a league full of black players, what he said is insanely idiotic even if he was drunk and it deserves to be dealt with more than just on the team level imo. The team wasn't going to be do much because they just lost their star receiver to injury. Therefore, you know that was in the back of their minds when they were dealing with it. They can't deal with it objectively given that.

4. Raven

Raven Member

A suspension is absolutely necessary if the League wants to send a message, not just a message to players, not just a message to the public, but a message to every kid who follows the game - that certain behavior is unacceptable, especially from adults and especially if they are public figures.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Really? What happened?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Roger Goodell said on Mike and Mike this morning that the NFL will not take any further action against WR Riley Cooper.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/362937492959281152">August 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And that appears to be because Per the CBA, teams and the league can't both punish a player for the same offense.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It may be posted here and I can't see it since I can't see a lot of images, but did anyone see the pic that Schefter tweeted yesterday saying it was basically the NFL offseason in a nutshell?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think he Tweeted it, must have been a retweet. It had Tebow, Riley and Hernandez at Florida in it. Meh.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Now this sounds really interesting. You mind recapping what was said?

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Quannel x basically said all racism in the world was perpetrated by the white man and you cannot argue otherwise. He said all white people are this way and there is no denying it. Koch basically said that anyone who groups everyone e together the way quannel x does has no business discussing such matters and accused him of being a hypocrite.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

790 will be posting it via podcast in a couple hours, I'll post it here when hey do

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A retweet is stil a tweet, dummy. It's just re.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wow. So basically Quannell being Quannell. Lumping all white people together and saying that they are all racist is racist in and of itself. I'd post my opinion of Quannell on here, but I'm afraid this would get taken to the D&D then.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's obvious then why the Eagles moved as fast as they did on it. It wasn't because it is so wrong. It was because if they let the league act first...then it was more likely that they would suspend him and they would be out their star injured receiver and this guy. I heard Roger Goodell talking about it on ESPN at lunch. He was rather non-chalant about it imo. He acted like the apology, team fine, and a form of counseling was enough given Cooper was apologetic about. The Eagles pulled a fast one and it is blatantly obvious what they did here. Goodell is the sucker.

17. Fantasma Negro

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's about credit where credit is due, brux. Shefter already gets enough attention. Citing the original source is important to me, see my sig.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

:p

But good point. :)

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>LeSean McCoy told me what hurts about Cooper's remarks is &quot;losing a friend.&quot; I asked him what that meant, &quot;I can't respect a guy like that.&quot;</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/363003199591956482">August 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was it Quanell X or 'Quanell from Pearland' - a black activist here in the City of Houston?

(41:27)
    <iframe width="658" height="371" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=23531203&startButtonColor=0xA33335" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>