1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Divisional Playoffs

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 4, 2015.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't think a football player has ever stumbled for 10 yards.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And here is the frame right before the ball hits the ground...

[​IMG]

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

This will only make Dez stronger. Great things for Dez next season: historic things.

That play didn't cost the Cowboys the game. Rodgers would have had the ball back had the Cowboys scored, and you're giving it back to the best player in the league. Cowboys had their chances to win this game, and that's all you can ask for.

People always looking to blame the refs are incredible (last week or this week).

4. conquistador#11

i need one where it actually is in the ground before i go to sleep:p

but yeah i haven't seen the cross field ones.

5. Major

Major Member

Cool - makes sense. I just figured that we could reasonably conclude it hit the ground, but its good that there was the definitive other angle too. I hadn't seen that one.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well in case no one noticed, there was another game today. Still can't believe how the colts lucked into getting luck and then ironically beats the old colts qb in his own backyard after Denver basically emptied their checkbook for their defense

7. likestohypeguy

The thing is, even if it never touched the ground, it still can't be popping out for any reason (it's not down by "runner" standards like your trying to apply, because he's not a runner yet)- before the football move, they want it secure throughout the landing, not changing how you're holding it.

I kind of like this rule- even though it seems unfair to such an athletic feat as this, it's more objective. So something as crazy as the helmet catch counts, because it's held secure the entire time, just no juggling, bobbling, or popping out etc. The only real debatable part on this one as per the rules is whether he made a deliberate extension toward the goal line with it (would have been considered a "football move" or w/e plus the three steps). He wanted to, but didn't really because he didn't have secure possession.

8. Major

Major Member

If it didn't touch the ground, it could be bobbled or juggled or whatever. It would have been a catch in that scenario, no different than a tipped pass is a catch or someone lying on the ground can catch a ball. It's not a dead ball until it hits the ground or goes out of bounds, so his recovery after the bobble would have been legal.

9. likestohypeguy

Yeah if you were just laying on your back, surely you could bobble it until it was secured & it would still count. I'm not sure what the technical difference would be from that & in landing with the ball, but when landing they make you have it secure throughout. I'm certain I've seen other examples like this where it was similarly ruled incomplete, and never hit the ground.

10. Major

Major Member

That's not correct - the rule is only relevant if the ball hits the ground. The rule was posted earlier:

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

If the ball doesn't touch the ground, there are no questions about it.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Colts won that game because they shut Manning down... Denver's defense held up as much as they could with an offense that wasn't doing very much of anything.

Denver's offense couldn't manage more than 1 TD against the Colts defense... that was the difference right there.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not true... u can bobble it on the ground, but if you regain control its a catch.

I think you see most people bobbling it as they're going out of bounds and only getting control after they're already out of the field of play... that certainly is not a catch.

That's exactly why the rule is there. Take the guess-work out of whether you think its a catch or not. Also makes it easier to determine possible fumbles after "catches", which are one of the toughest calls to make (determining if a player had the ball long enough to consider it as possession).

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

So what's the over/under on Cowboy whining getting the "complete the catch" rule changed?

Correct call, ambiguous rule that leaves a lot open to personal interpretation.

My yelled at my TV when he caught it, "DON'T GO FOR THE GOALLINE!"

Sucks for Dez, twas a great catch.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Dez catch was a once a year incompletion. You are not going to want the vast majority of the passes that are called incomplete by that rule to be complete.

This is already a softer rule than before. Up until a few years ago, anytime the ball touches the ground in the process of a catch would be incomplete. It can touch the ground now as long as the receiver has a firm hold on the ball and if the ground does now cause the ball to move.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I wasn't trying to make a point, I just love the clip and dude asked for stumblin' action.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Abandoning that rule will lead to a wave of subjective calls... especially in the realm of catches in the end zone/out of bounds and catches that ultimately lead to turnovers/fumbles.

There also is really no way to define a catch further... if anything, they'd be taking away some of the definitions of a catch which would lead to guys potentially controlling it in the air, maybe even with 2 feet down, but if they lose the ball as they get hit is it still a catch/turnover or incomplete pass? (currently, its incomplete as its not completing the entire process of making the catch).

20. Indaface

Indaface Member

The rule isn't great, but these guys are paid millions of dollars to understand the rule.

It's not like it's a new rule that started in the playoffs, it's been this way for years and a few games have had big overturns on it.

If you are going to the ground make sure you secure the ball first before doing anything. The fact that coaches don't hammer this into their WR's is bad coaching.