1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL: Conference Championships

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 12, 2014.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lol. 790 earlier played a clip of him saying he thanked all the ahole twitter and Facebook fans for inspiring them. I hadn't heard that before. :grin:

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How so? He kept his receiver in check the entire game...sure, there was one play where he got his hands on the ball, but he was a huge part of the reason why the Niners didnt get a passing game going.

3. Raven

Raven Member

I'm not judging all Seattle fans because of that, just as I hope all Texans' fans aren't judged because there was cheering when Schaub was injured.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you are not causing turnovers I guess people figure he isn't doing anything nevermind the fact they aren't throwing at him. Sad that people can't recognize when a guy is shutting down his side.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People have had to watch Kareem Jackson for the last few years so give me a break. Turn around and look for the ball? Say whaaaaay?

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^

Erin's getting old, as evidenced by that picture.

Need to replace with a younger babe

9. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Oh I completely agree. Just thinking about how situations get completely thrown out of hand because fans get too into it. That injury was way too nasty for so many replays and the reaction from the few fans are just as disgusting.

It's one thing to cheer because its hard to recognize if they're aware of what's going on, but to throw anything at a carted player just shows how some human beings could be. Those fans should
    Be IDed and never be allowed to another sporting event again IMO

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, contrast the way the Seahawks fans treated Bowman with the way Houston fans treated Michael Bennett and his dad when he was injured here this year. In case you didn't see it, several fans were consoling his dad in the crowd, trying to get the attention of security on his behalf, and directing him to the nearest usher to get him onto the field to take care of his son, ASAP.

[​IMG]

It's a stark contrast. Houston fans might be considered less passionate than most fan bases, but they're one of the classiest and most compassionate in the country. The Schaub situation was a rarity and a perfect storm for 20 years of frustration to boil over. All things considered, Schaub got better treatment and a longer leash than most other cities would have given him, for certain.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Houston had a team with the cockiness and egos (and on filed results) like Seattle... and a bitter/hated division rival... the fans could get every bit as hostile.

Seriously... you think it has anything to do with the city itself? Seattle is a much nicer, safer, cleaner city than Houston. But they have a couple of assholes running the team, and they're overjoyed that the team, and its fans, could take on that persona.

The Schaub vitriol made just as many headlines as any other fan-player incident around the country. I don't feel it was just a random "exception". NFL football in this city will bring out the worst in people... and it's only getting more intense.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yeah I will admit he never got burned, just a hate comment drunk last night reiterating what Crabtree said haha tbh. Seriously though, the Seahawks played well, made great plays down the stretch to get the W. Can't blame officiating as 9ers had many chances, just lost to the team which played better. Go Broncos.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

There is nothing to excuse the throwing of food/drinks at Bowman as he was carted off. Their fan base are the new Raiders...

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

What? You think the fans would be jerks if the players were? Is that what you're saying? :confused: Outside of Sherman, I don't see much rampant jerkoff mentality on the Seahawks, FWIW.

You don't think that certain areas of the country people behave differently? Especially in circumstances such as mass crowds, events, or as it relates to sports, etc? I'd say that's a pretty common phenomenon. Just because Seattle has a couple more parks and less pollution doesn't mean much in relation to that.

Let's just say I can't agree with that, and I think it's silly to suggest such.

If Schaub were playing in Philadelphia or the Meadowlands, his twitching carcass would have been dragged through the streets years ago. In the history of professional sports in Houston, the Schaub backlash was by far the exception to fan behavior here. 20+ years of Superbowl blueballs and 1 guy responsible for flushing perhaps the most promising season in the history of the city down the crapper. Perfect storm.

#454 DonnyMost, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You haven't watched enough of the Seattle-adderall fueled hell raisers if you don't think this team feeds off of anger/emotion and has a killer instinct. That is all instilled from high up... and the fans have embraced the warrior mentality.

If you're saying Houston would NEVER be able to be that sort of town, I'll whole-heartedly disagree with you. You say the east coast media would have kicked Schaub out years ago (while the team was winning division championships, no less)... when in fact they've long "supported" him more-so than the people of Houston, and were quite surprised to see how fast it all turned (and were surprised the anger... hence the headlines).

Another reason to disagrees is because Seattle was NEVER that sort of town before this regime (much like Houston never had any sort of "incidents" like the Schaub one)...with the ho-hum Seahawks playing in the ho-hum kingdome... hell, they weren't that sort of town during their last SB run under Holmgrene.

Winning brings a certain level of arrogance/cockiness... winning with a team that embraces arrogance/cockiness is easily transferrable to the fans expectations/actions/persona. Houston could certainly run circles around being more of an ******* fan base than Seattle.... if they had that sort of team here.

Seattle wanted to rip the hearts out of SF and stomp on their graves... that mentality just isn't unique to that region... its unique to the team they're rooting for.

The NFL is bigger than ever, forget about the last 20+ years of Houston's (or any other city's) ho-hum NFL existence. If you have a team full of guys who take on the arrogance/cockiness persona of their coach... you're going to see a change in how the fans react.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Let's compare the Texans and the Seahawks.

Recent team history, since apparently winning turns people into jerks.

Seahawks:
    2008 4-12
    2009 5-11
    2010 7-9
    2011 7-9
    2012 11-5
    2013 13-3

Texans:
    2008 8-8
    2009 9-7
    2010 6-10
    2011 10-6
    2012 12-4
    2013 2-14

Total record over timeperiod:
    Texans 47-49
    Seahawks 47-49

So, equal fuel for entitled fan violent jerkbag behavior.

The Seahawks and 49ers are pretty well established rivals. It's reasonable to say the equivalent team for the Texans would be the Titans. So let's go with them for this hypothetical.

If a Titans player were gravely injured in a playoff game and carted off the field, would you expect him to get crap thrown at him on the way out of the tunnel? Not many people would honestly answer this question "yes".

So what is your reasoning? Kubiak and the team make the fans passive? That's pretty silly. Andy Reid was the most even keeled dude on the planet, and it never stopped Philly fans from going apescat. What about Pete Carrol? Isn't he known as one of the most easy-going zen-type dudes in the entire NFL? Hell, look at the Giants/Dodgers. Baseball is the most ho-hum sport on the planet, and yet you have people literally killing each other over it. Good luck finding that happening here.

This assertion that the team dictates how the fans act is just asinine. Seattle fans have always been pretty rowdy, the "12th man" nickname has existed long before the Pete Carroll era, they were just never nationally relevant because their team sucked. So yeah, that behavior has always been present there.

Houston, as a sports town, is just less passionate. Not exactly a controversial statement. Many Southern cities have this reputation. Miami, for instance. We're more laid back in general. It has its downsides, but the upside is we keep perspective pretty well and don't act like degenerate d-bags on the reg. Do we have the capability to? Absolutely. Just don't expect it to happen overnight because the team wins 12 games and Antonio Smith swings a helmet at someone's head.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seattle, the land of coffee.

Houston, the land of Syrup/Lean.

Nothing else to see here.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tjiQ6yv0Dg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Dude, just read the comments on there if you want confirmation that some people in this world are still racist dipsh!ts. Some disgusting comments to Sherman after his writeup.

I think Deadspin culled together the Twitter comments BUT that's Twitter and I think by now people expect that on there.

This is Sports Illustrated's MMQB. SMDH