1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL.COM] Ben Tate unhappy being the 2nd string RB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by roxxfan, Sep 14, 2013.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I hope our chemistry is okay :eek: especially seeing Foster"s reaction on the sideline.... Somebody put a space between "unhappy" and "being" in the title. Thanx

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ate-isnt-satisfied-complementing-arian-foster

By virtue of the eyeball test as well as the box score, Ben Tate outplayed Arian Foster in the Houston Texans' Week 1 comeback victory over the San Diego Chargers.

That performance has earned Tate at least a temporary timeshare, but the former second-round draft pick made it clear that he's not satisfied playing second-fiddle to Foster.

"I would be lying to you if I told you that I embraced the complement role to someone else," Tate told Ross Jones of FOXSports.com. "That's not why I wanted to be in the NFL. That's not my dream to complement someone else. That's not what my attitude or why I work out is to complement someone else."

Tate added that he's merely being honest about his "competitive" nature, pointing out that he and Foster are "both mature about the situation."

As we pointed out on Wednesday's edition of the "Around The League Podcast", Foster will regain the lead-back role once he knocks the rust off. If Tate continues to outplay Foster, however, the tandem attack is here to stay.

The biggest takeaway from Tate's sentiment regards his future. He clearly wants a featured role of his own, which appears to be the most likely scenario next season with free agency looming.

As perhaps the best mix of talent, age and demonstrated production to hit the running-back market since Michael Turner landed a six-year, $34.5 million contract from the Atlanta Falcons in 2008, Tate owes it to himself to gauge his value with the other 31 teams.

With J.J. Watt closing in on a mega-deal and the veteran duo of Antonio Smith and Wade Smith also due to hit free agency, Tate has the look of a luxury item the Texans will no longer be able to afford in 2014.

The alternative would be cutting ties with Foster two years after locking him up with a five-year, $43.5 million contract.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Him and Foster are both being honest about the situation. It's good see such friendly competitiveness from them. If anything it'll make both work harder.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

unhappiness is not necessarily a bad thing from a production standpoint

happiness often leads to complacency

fear and anger can be good motivators

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

when is the trade deadline, guess we can get a real good haul of assets for either Arian OR Tate this month from a desperate team? Especially since we know Tate would not resign for 2014 playing behind Foster.

Just kidding, I have both on my fantasy football team and need more production which can probably only happen if they were split up , lol.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

He should be.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Foster better step it up. Although, I doubt the Texans would be quick in any situation to bench Arian with the contract he has.

7. Grinds

Grinds Member

Is Arian angry enough to break more tackles?

8. conquistador#11

Angry Arian Vs. Baleful Ben

Get your tickets now, only one will survive.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Or to catch balls that hit his hands?

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is good for the Texans.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Unhappy is misleading. Unsatisfied is much more on target. Nothing new to us - we all know Tate's goal is to play himself into a new contract offered by someone else, and he wants it to be as a featured back (dying breed).

The smart play is to take advantage of that and let Foster/Tate split and compete for carries every game. If that means Tate semi-supplants Foster for a few months, fine by me. Meritocracy.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

IMO, it's almost impossible for unhappy RB's to disrupt team chemistry unless they're the leaders of the team. A RB simply does his job, nothing more. Foster could threaten to sit out and it wouldn't worry me. Not worried about it.

Second off, who the hell does Ben Tate think he is? He hasn't done **** in this league.

Play the hot hand. Let Rudy T be the RB's coach, it's not a hard job.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is good for the Texans. I hope this festers all year and in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Arian needs to feel heat from Tate at least until he starts running hard and stops slipping down without being hit.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Any have a clip or something of foster pouting? I must have missed it

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Then he needs to stay healthy

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'd be bothered if he said he was happy being a backup.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

That was a horrible pass by schaub. I can't blame Arian for that one. Way behind him

19. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

Yes, yes, I remember, Master Commo-Yoda-dore...Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That's misleading...that would be like Braman saying he's unhappy being a back up...every back up in the NFL wants to be a starter. If not, they shouldnt be in the league.

There is no riff between Tate and Foster.