1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will the ratings change in the 2K21 ?

The last 2k game I got, was on the xbox360

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...raising-game-prices-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x
    Here's a bit more about what the industry thinks about raising prices for games.

I understand that development costs have increased, but I kinda think that's part of the problem. I too would be OK paying higher prices for certain games, but the problem is that most games aren't worth that price. In this case, I kinda think developers should work on reducing their budgets and/or find other ways to generate revenue/minimize costs. Every game doesn't need to be a 40+ hour open-world game with 1000+ hours of voice dialogue. I would like more linear games that clock in under 10 hours or so (maybe even a bit less). I've played some great games on Steam made by small teams (sometimes a single person), so you don't always need hundreds of people involved to make a great game.

Publishers can probably be a little less greedy too. With digital delivery, special editions, season passes, etc, they should be getting more money at launch relative to previous generations anyway.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. RC Cola

I wanted to bump this thread in anticipation of the Xbox Games Showcase scheduled for tomorrow morning:
    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-games-showcase
    I think it will be somewhat like the PS5 event, though even more focused on games (pretty sure it is 100% games). I think they said they'll have a 4K source following the event. I think the live stream will be 1080p/60fps, so a bit better than PS5 event IIRC. I think Geoff Keighley has a pre and post show, plus I'm sure other people will have stuff (including news leading up to the event). Fun stuff. :)

Oh and to follow-up my last post in this thread, don't think I've seen any other publishers commit to higher prices. Ubisoft indicated they'll stick with the same pricing as current-gen for their launch titles. I guess prices could still go up next year and beyond though.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

i don't like season passes for expensive half finishedgames. I'm used to aaa titles giving a complete experience rather than making me addicted to rolls and loot boxes.

If it's ftp then I'm in a different mindset...

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im dead set on getting the new XBOX and Im hoping they package either Halo or Cyberpunk with it for the holiday seasons. With Halo and Cyberpunk alone, I think I can keep myself entertained for the whole year.

tinman and CCity Zero like this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Since last of us 2 came out on PS4 I’ll likely try the new Xbox. I haven’t played halo since the second one.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Microsoft has removed the 12 month Xbox Live Gold Subscription from their store. With the event tomorrow, some are speculating free online OR (most likely) a bundle with GamePass. LOL. I was about to renew (7/29)....so I guess I wait til tomorrow.

8. RC Cola

I've been a bit busy with work, so only seen a bit, but here's the stream for anyone interested in the XSX event. Looks good from what I saw! Sounds like every game they show will be on Game Pass if I understood it correctly.

Edit: Haha just saw the trailer for Obsidian's Grounded game. "If you're waiting for the biggest game of the year, wait for CyberPunk."

Yung-T likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Psychonauts was one of my favorite games ever. It was incredibly creative and clever. Living up to it will be hard.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 I hope has coop, if not, I'll still play it. I haven't played it since the original came out but it was really good from what I recall.

I'm so far behind on games lately but there's a lot of titles coming that look great. I'm really looking forward to Cyberpunk too. I might have to get a new gpu or buy the Xbox sooner than I thought. I kept thinking I wasn't going to get either but.... I'll probably get both...

11. tinman

Supporting Member

This was still boring.

I want Halo , but they didn't show crap for Hellblade 2, or game play for Forza.

Their 4k 60 youtube is worth rewatching and you can see how detailed the games are.

12. RC Cola

If you go with a new GPU, look into DLSS. It seems like a pretty big jump, and Cyberpunk is supposed to support it. There might be other similar options being revealed in the near-future, but right now, DLSS is the feature that is wowing everyone. I said this before, but I'm still holding out hope that PS5/XSX will be able to support something similar. Maybe not quite as good, but hopefully something similar in overall quality. I'm thinking that's probably unrealistic though.

People are really harsh towards MS and Sony for these events. I think they've all been fine. I still remember the really bad next-gen previews we had in past generations (Wallguy, Hit the Crab's Weakpoint for Massive Damage, etc).

I like that there was a great variety of games shown for both consoles. Titles from big developers and small developers. Story based games. Multiplayer games. Super realistic. Less realistic. Etc. To MS's credit, this is where Game Pass can shine. Maybe you weren't that excited for The Medium, The Gunk, Grounded, etc., but if you can try it for free, it might be worth checking out. And certainly one of those games will end up pleasantly surprising people.

tinman and CCity Zero like this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man I definitely need to check out DLSS more. I heard a little about it but it but just read more and it sounds great. I'm planning on waiting for the next gpu refresh from Nvidia, right now my home built pc is running an 8700k with a GTX 1080

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I still want to see what cyberpunk looks like on those next gen systems

15. PhiSlammaJamma

So how does DLSS work? I need some FPS for cities skylines. If I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB, is that good enough? Do I just download the new driver and I'm done. Or do I need to have a different graphic processor?

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I was hoping to see a huge jump like we did last gen, but after watching Sony/Microsofts events that idea has been thoroughly beaten down lol

That jump was insane. Im legitimately having a hard time seeing any graphical jump in any of the next-gen trailers this cycle. Hopefully, the systems start to shine a couple of years in, but it's disappointing that there isn't same impactful jump at release.

17. RC Cola

I think all the demos were running on PCs (high end though maybe not top-of-the-line). PS5/XSX will probably look similar to that. I'm more curious about what the PS4/XBO versions will look like. The PS5/XSX upgrades won't be available until 2021 sometime, so anyone playing on PS5/XSX will basically have to play those versions with some minor enhancements.

You need a new GPU. Pretty much the latest from Nvidia, as this is brand new tech. It requires hardware acceleration, and the older GPUs don't have the required hardware.

DLSS is basically using "machine learning" to generate an upscaled image of something at lower resolution. I guess the algorithms typically use a certain operation (or set of operations), and Nvidia decided to build some GPUs that had custom hardware to accelerate those operations. At first, this doesn't seem like it would be all that great, but the results are pretty astonishing at times. You can have the game render at something like 540p internally, then use these algorithms to generate a 1080p image that looks as good or better than if you just rendered at 1080p. That is a best-case scenario I guess and comes with some caveats, but you can check out videos for yourself as proof. Right now, developers have to support the feature in their game (I think they basically have to give the algorithms some hints on how to process the images), though Nvidia is working on a way of enabling it for all games. So Cities Skylines will likely not benefit unless the devs support it. And honestly, I'm wondering if that game is more impacted by CPU than GPU (though I guess I could see both helping).

I think I shared a video from Digital Foundry about DLSS earlier in the thread (showing off Control for PC). That's good if you want more on the feature. Death Stranding recently released on PC with DLSS support as well, so you can look at that for more info.

The mid-cycle upgrades from Sony and MS made it a bit harder to see the visual upgrades. The biggest visual jump from these systems over the base PS4 and XBO is the ability to render at (or near) 4K resolution at a solid 30 FPS (or 60FPS in some cases). If you are watching (compressed) 1080p video of these trailers, you might be missing some of those finer details. That said, if you compare something like The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 Pro (at high resolutions), it is a bit more difficult to appreciate these next-gen visuals. I think the games are still generally better looking, but it is definitely more subtle I guess.

I think it will look better over time as developers learn more about how to utilize ray-tracing and other next-gen features. If they can leverage something similar to DLSS as well, that would help a lot. Right now, developers are likely just taking their existing engines and asset pipelines, increasing fidelity in some areas, then spitting out a PS5/XSX version. To take advantage of the SSDs and other hardware features, they likely will need more time. Also would be good if they could drop support for PS4/XBO.

Some games are doing some cool things, albeit maybe a bit gimmicky (see Ratchet & Clank and The Medium). It isn't so much a visual upgrade as a much as things not really possible on current-gen systems. For something like NBA 2K21, the graphics might not see a huge leap (relative to PS4 Pro/Xbox One X), but hopefully you can avoid long loading screens. For an extra $10, I hope they can at least do that. :p

Honestly, even with ray-tracing, it isn't so much about improved visuals as much as is it about more immersive visuals. Current-gen games can bake some great lighting. It will just be static. PS5/XSX might not have better looking lighting, but it will be more dynamic.

I think that UE5 engine demo is probably the best indication so far of what might be possible in future games.

PhiSlammaJamma and donkeypunch like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I felt that way from PS 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 - but 3 to 4 I didn't feel like there was a massive jump. There are only so many triangles you can cram in there and the perspectives and play seemed virtually the same - they just looked more polished IMO. Except for virtual reality of course -- but I'm not really very interested in VR gaming anyway (yet).

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I think the current gen won't go obsolete for a while.
    I bought an external SSD for my xbox and every is much better. Games load super fast.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude the Halo demo was RUNNING ON PC
    (google translated)
    http://www.xboxygen.com/News/33969-...st-representative-de-la-version-Xbox-Series-X

Halo Infinite showed up today with the very first phases of gameplay. 343 Industries has thus lifted the veil on the ambitions of this new opus which, according to them, should last ten years . However, the demo we saw was running on PC.

Microsoft had promised to send heavy with the Halo Infinite campaign and it is indeed real gameplay that was presented tonight. During a session with the developers, we were able to get some new information about the game, and we can now confirm that the gameplay demo shown at the Xbox Games Showcase was actually running on a PC, and not on Xbox Series X.

For a conference that needs to demonstrate the capabilities of the new Xbox, that might sound strange. And yet we are formal. On the other hand, the developers confirmed that the gameplay presented was "representative" of the game on Xbox Series X.

The Halo Infinite demo was presented in 4K and 60 frames per second and Ray Tracing will be available after the game's release via an update.