1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newb question: Why do we think CP3's staying in HOU?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gray_Jay, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum here, and I just can't find the right thread in Search, but why are we all so certain that Chris Paul is going to re-sign with the Rockets? Especially since, now with 'Bron opting out of his deal, which pretty much means he ain't coming here, CP3 can be free to follow James (with or without the rest of the 'banana boat crew') and ring chase with him?

Nightmare scenario: (that I'm sure BimaThug, or 'Holic, or any of the other people who know the CBA/Salary Cap inside and out can squash, but still...) The Lakers manage to get Kawhi or Paul George. Part of getting Kawhi will involve getting draft picks to send to SA, and one of the popular trade ideas posted here and elsewhere involves shipping out the Lonzo Ball Experience to Phoenix for their high draft pick. Assuming that happens, and 'Bron shows up in Laker purple, why wouldn't CP3 also want to go to LA and play for him? Isn't a Bron-CP3-Leonard team a serious contender for the title? Even if they have to ship everyone else out to get Leonard?

I know, his kids are happy in Houston, he's joked with Tad and Morey about his contract negotiations, but...he's still a free agent right now. Nothing, AFAIK, is stopping him from going to LA to play point for them. Is it that the Rox can offer so much more than any other team? (And then, the question is, are the Rox really going to give him a max year/max money deal to a 33 year old with an indifferent injury history?)

Anyway, if you all can break it down for me Barney-style about why we're so confident he's staying, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Cause CP aint no punk!

3. Coach E

Coach E Member

1. Best chance to win
    2. Best Coach he’s had
    3. Most money possible
    4. Already here
    5. Reports have surfaced saying he has no intentions of leaving.

4. sabesque

sabesque Member

because the last three days have been about uncertainty because lebron trying to make sure he had someone else going to LA with him. Unless CP has switched i figure he crossed CP off the list.

Also hes playing with the Motherf'n MVP!

5. smokieethabear

Because Stone Cold said so...

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

To add to Coach E's post above, he's formed a great relationship with James, just made the Western Conference finals for the first time and surely wants to build on that, and has a gentleman's agreement with Morey to stay and get a decent contract - and he should (and probably does) feel compelled to show the same respect to the deal that he expects in return.

Bonus: There is a Twitter video of him looking chummy with Morey at the NBA awards joking about how the media paints them as enemies, and hanging with the rest of the crew.

Ramo$e and Deckard like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

people really think CP3 is desperate to follow Lebron around like his little lap dog...

CP3 isn’t going anywhere unless Morey tries to mess around with his next contract

Trackwell and waytookrzy079 like this.
  8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

and that's the bottom line!!!

macho GRANDE and smokieethabear like this.
  9. brosef

brosef Member

Until he signs ill be a little worried.

Stormy1234 and macho GRANDE like this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

he'll probably go for the big 5 with LeBron/Leonard/PG/Boogie "please save some of the MLE for me" Cousins

11. macan

macan Member

do not underestimate the heart of a champion
    CP3 got more heart than (lebrick + bosh + melo)

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Because we would have been champs if he didnt get hurt. This is his best shot to win.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Could you Imagine the headlines if CP3 left?

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the answers to my question fall into several categories, pretty much as Coach E wrote: he's got a great relationship with the guys here, his best chance of winning is here, he can make the most money here, and he hasn't said he's leaving.

I can't argue with the first point. D'Antoni is by all accounts a better coach than Walton. Though Walton isn't bad. I'm not in the locker room, but it seems like all of the guys genuinely like each other, something that hasn't been the case nearly everywhere James has played. So, point to Houston.

I don't know that this team, without Paul, is a better team than that Lakers monstrosity I worried out in my OP. Never mind if the Lakers could actually add PG13. Or if the Rox have problems matching whatever ridiculous contract someone wants to give Capela. And it's not like a star player hasn't left a great situation to go jump for a perceived greater situation, right Mr. Durant? (Damned if that wasn't one of the softest moves I've seen from an NBA player.) Point to LA.

While in theory Paul can make the most money here, do we see it practically happening? I mean, do you all think Morey's going to give Paul a deal that would be greater than the max he could make elsewhere? Would we even want him too? Call this one a tie.

He hasn't said he's leaving and he says he's happy here. I believe him. For now. I'll be a lot happier once he signs..

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If his family hated H-town, I'd think it'd be easier for him to move again.

That's as important to his happiness as the other stuff mentioned.

16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Cause its the closest he's ever gotten to a championship? Playing on a team that actually made him better?

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Rockets won 65 games and were an absolute juggernaut. The chances of the 35-win Lakers getting anywhere near that level next season, even with LeBron, are incredibly remote. They might can in 2-3 years, with the right development and future offseason additions... but with Chris Paul, it's all about the here and now. As long as the Rockets don't make a bad financial offer, this is the fit for him.

Deckard likes this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The rockets were the best team in the NBA last year. We were robbed of a championship. And Cp3 isn’t a moron. Nobody, including him, is even pretending he’s a free agent.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm pretty sure Chris Paul wants to win. So why would he leave a team that can easily win the championship next season?

If LeBron goes to the Lakers, it will be the first time in a long time that he fails to reach the Finals.

20. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I'm not certain that Tillman will agree to use 40% of his payroll on a player that already misses over 25% of his games due to leg injuries, and his next contract will take him to age 38. Consider his salary / age ratios of a super-max deal: 34 / $35M , 35 / $38M, 36 / $41M, 37 / $44M, 38 / $47M. As another poster pointed out we are already an old team. If we guarantee years 3-5 of his next contract, we're trading a 2-year window to compete for a championship, but forfeiting the next 3 years, given that 40% of the salary cap will be taken up by a player that likely is either too hurt to play or in SEVERE declining mode. It might be worth it to take your shot for 2 years, but his knees and hamstrings aren't aging well now. Chris Paul at 3 years and $132M remaining for ages 36-38 would be a franchise albatross. I doubt he will agree to years 4-5 as 'team' or 'mutual' options, but that is the only way for the Rockets to protect themselves, versus conceding that they'll suck in those years.

macho GRANDE and Gray_Jay like this.