1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Xbox To Be Revealed Today (5/21)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, May 21, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The new Xbox will be revealed today by MS. The event takes place around noon (central), and there will be plenty of streams online plus a TV stream by Spike IIRC. Timetable for events:
    Took that from NeoGAF, which also has some other useful info:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559996

Lots of rumors about "always online," "no used games," "secret sauce," "subsidized console," etc. Should all be clear (or at least more clear) after today.

E3 is not far off, so MS won't show EVERYTHING they have. But they should show quite a bit (including what the actual box looks like I imagine :)). IIRC, they want to keep this event focused on the system (more or less), and then go more into games at E3. Should be some good stuff.

Strong indications that we'll see next-gen versions of games like CoD, Battlefield 4, and FIFA (among others).

Exciting times in the industry. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Will be watching but until TVs catch up PC games will still have better graphics.

DD

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Is the 4K TVs coming out your idea of catching up? Four times the resolution of standard HDTVs. Affordable ones should start coming out soon.

4. RC Cola

You'll see 4K gaming supported by PCs much sooner than in games (PS4 and new Xbox will likely only see limited support, if any, of 4K gaming). There could still be specialized monitors that could beyond 4K by that time too...I guess (PC gamers can never get enough).

Though I think graphics are much more than just resolution. 4K version of NBA 2K (running at 120 FPS even) wouldn't really impress me that much if the fingers/hands are still blocky, the textures are low-res, the hair is just plastered on, the crowd is full of clones, etc. These new consoles won't offer the best graphics (if games are ported correctly, you should easily be able to get the same game + higher res/better framerate on a PC), but they'll push the standards so that PC devs (well...devs in general) can push graphics in more ways than just higher resolution/better framerates/etc.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

If this thing comes out around Christmas, I'll hold out on GTA V for the new console. Watch Dogs is another game I'm looking forward to.

6. RC Cola

Not that I disagree with your post (I think I feel the same way), but I admit, I wonder if there should be some concern that the 2 most exciting games that could be on your platform...are also on PS3/360.

"Hey, go get a PS4/Nextbox and play GTA5! It is almost exactly like the PS3/360 version you're already playing...but...um...better!"

Part of the appeal of a true "next-gen" game is it can do things that current-gen games can't. These transitional games are to be expected early on (that's what happened in 2005/2006), but hopefully these guys can also show some games that are just not possible on PS3/360.

Certainly tons of advantages to playing these games on the new systems (including better OS/features), but could be an uphill battle (especially with games like GTA5 and Watch Dogs being released).

7. ItsMyFault

Yeah. I mean I want to have it so where if I buy a new game like GTA V, I don't want to switch playing between the 360 and the new Xbox whenever I feel like playing GTA V. I understand what you're saying about whether or not these games have an advantage on the new-gen consoles vs the old ones, but yeah I'd get it on those new consoles strictly for convenience of using the same console to play all my games.

8. RC Cola

Yeah, it certainly makes sense to do that, but MS/Sony just need to make sure people get excited about more than just playing slightly better looking PS3/360 games on their systems.

In previous generations, you could get that added convenience by default...with just one version of the game! E.G., FFIX on PS2.

9. ItsMyFault

With MS, I think the hard judgement will come on the software moreso than hardware because of the advantage they already have over Sony in having a better online experience (and also requiring you to pay).

I haven't read any rumors on the new Xbox controller, but what I'm hoping for is either a) a built in battery similar to PS3 controllers or b) if there isn't a built in battery that they make it more efficient so the batteries last longer. For 5 years I used to use my Xbox rechargeable batteries until they got messed up, and then I started using AA batteries. Even with the limited gaming I play today, they still run out fast.

10. RC Cola

I forgot where I read it, but I thought I saw something about MS improving their wireless tech to vastly improve battery life, so you might get your wish.

There haven't been a lot of rumors on the controller AFAIK. I think most suggested it would be more or less the same, just with some minor tweaks.

11. RC Cola

12. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I hope they reveal the console/controller. Not some game demos.

13. RC Cola

They certainly will. Though they'll have both.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Waiting on the new Rainbow Six so I can be done with COD Trash

15. ItsMyFault

So many places to watch this, I think I'll watch this on Spike TV.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Absolutley, but their market penetration will be really poor for a long long time.

DD

17. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Xbox One huh? So much for 720 lol.

Looks like a DirectTv Box

19. ItsMyFault

Damn, that controller looks sleek.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It looks like a VCR, but whatever. The controller looks pretty much the same, but if it aint broke don't fix it. I can't imagine improving on the 360 controller.