1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Study: mar1juana Users Less Depressed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. lpbman

lpbman Member

It should be noted that this study was done before the invention of Taco Bells grilled stuffed burrito.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The sun is shining, my bills are paid, and I only have one more day of work this week.

I'm so not depressed right now.

:D

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I have two more days of work this week, my wife isn't working postpartum, so a couple of bills remain unpaid, and I haven't smoked pot in years.

Still not depressed in the least, particularly since my 2 month old gave me the biggest smile he has ever given me over this last weekend.

Talk about the stuff to melt a man's heart!

4. GladiatoRowdy

My wife tried one last week and said she wasn't impressed in the least, but she doesn't smoke either so maybe that's it.

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Were does it say pot smokers are more gainfully employed?

COuld it be that pot-smokers, being less employed, will demand less health care (because they have less)?

6. GladiatoRowdy

From the article...

"The overwhelming majority of mar1juana users lead healthy and responsible lives..."

It would be difficult to argue against one of the components of a "responsible" life being gainful employment, non?

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Weak.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

probably not the best argument, but your assertion seems to be just as flimsy

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Come on... Really lame jokes are a great argument.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Well, I respectfully disagree with you 100%. He hasn't had ONE episode since using mar1juana as a substitute, where as before if he forgot a dose, he'd have one. Also, the family noticed big changes in his personality when he was on those meds. No thanks.

11. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

You need some new friends.

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My dad died of a stress related heart attack at 50.

I strongly believe that smoking pot when I was younger taught me how to deal with stress.

I consider among my friends a successful lawyer, engineer, jr. high principal, teacher, and more graphic designers than you can shake a bong at that get high on a regular basis. None of them have never been arrested, they all are dedicated parents and spouses, and are great people that I have spent the past 20 years with.

Pot is not a gateway drug. Pot is less harmful than booze. Pot should be legal.

13. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Pot should be de-criminalized.

I, personally, can't stand the stuff. But I don't care if other people like it.

14. RocketMan Tex

Yes, yes and yes. :)

15. GladiatoRowdy

A major study finds that the "overwhelming majority" of mar1juana users lead healthy, responsible lives and your response is limited to the quote above?

Please, stay on the side of the prohibitionists. People like you highlight the futility of your "arguments."

16. GladiatoRowdy

As a matter of clarification...

Decriminalization generally refers to making possession legal or tolerated while keeping manufacture and sales illegal, which keeps all of the harms of prohibition (draconian enforcement, jailing people over pot, spending money to enforce prohibition, etc.) while not taking advantage of the upsides of strong regulation (ability to tax, ability to regulate distribution and sales, etc.).

Personally, I want a system of strong regulation so that we can tax sales, regulate distribution, and take drugs out of the hands of our young people.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Off topic, but interesting...

'Industrial' hemp support takes root

David Monson is a conservative Republican in North Dakota's legislature. He's also a farmer who believes that a new cash crop could revitalize his state's agricultural industry, which has been suffering from poor harvests and depressed soy and corn prices.

That policy has led to an explosion in goods containing high-fiber, high-protein hemp that has been fueled by Americans' thirst for organic products - and perhaps by the tie some consumers see between hemp and mar1juana, a counterculture symbol for decades. It also has put the cannabis plant at the center of a battle between unlikely foes: angry farmers such as Monson who are leading increasingly vocal calls for the U.S. government to legalize the growing of what's known as "industrial" hemp, and federal anti-drug officials who say that allowing such crops would create a slippery slope toward legalizing mar1juana.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20...VVOPSms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

18. RocketMan Tex

Today is my last day of work this week, and I'm leaving early.

I'm sooooooooo not depressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool:

19. GladiatoRowdy

Industrial hemp would become the number one cash crop in at least three states virtually overnight if it were allowed.

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It could also potentially ease environmental problems - most textiles can be made from hemp, and hemp grows back much, much, much faster when it is clear cut than a forest will. Also, and I may be wrong, but it's not seasonal if it's being used for textile/industrial purposes.

What a bummer that a DuPont was Secretary of State when it came time to throw mar1juana in the prohibition basket.