1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Study: mar1juana Users Less Depressed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

New Study: mar1juana Users Less Depressed
    Largest-Ever Study of mar1juana, Depression Finds Fewer Depressive Symptoms, Better Mood

ALBANY, NEW YORK—In the largest-ever study of mar1juana and depression, to be published in the journal Addictive Behaviors, daily or weekly mar1juana users had fewer symptoms of depression than non-users. mar1juana users were also more likely to report positive moods and fewer somatic complaints such as sleeplessness. Noteworthy differences were also found between those using mar1juana for medical purposes and non-medical or "recreational" users.

The new research appears to contradict statements by some government officials suggesting that mar1juana is a cause of depression. For example, in a May 3, 2005, press release from the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, ONDCP Director John Walters said, "mar1juana use, particularly during the teen years, can lead to depression, thoughts of suicide and schizophrenia."

"Not only does mar1juana not cause depression, it looks like it may actually alleviate it," said Mitch Earleywine, co-author of the new study and associate professor of psychology at the University at Albany, State University of New York.

Earleywine and co-investigator Thomas F. Denson of the University of Southern California used an Internet questionnaire that allowed them to survey a very large sample of mar1juana users and non-users, totaling over 4,400 participants. Use of the Internet also made it possible to include highly depressed or mar1juana-involved participants who might be unable or unwilling to participate in in-person or telephone surveys.

Participants were asked to report their use of mar1juana and were divided into three categories: daily users, those who used mar1juana within the last month but no more than once per week (weekly users) and those who had never used mar1juana in their lifetime (non-users). Depression and related issues were assessed using the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression scale, a standard tool for researching depression and associated symptoms.

Both daily and weekly mar1juana users had significantly lower levels of depression and higher levels of positive mood than non-users. Weekly users also had lower levels of somatic complaints such as sleeplessness. Effects were generally large, with mar1juana users approximately 30% less depressed than non-users.

The study is the first to specifically look at depression in medical mar1juana users as compared to non-medical users. The most common complaints listed by medical users surveyed were nausea, vomiting, cancer, attention deficit and poor appetite. Medical users generally were more depressed and had more somatic complaints than non-medical users, but still reported fewer such symptoms than non-users.

"Those who use mar1juana to battle the symptoms of illness may be depressed because of their illness, not because of mar1juana," Earleywine said. "Studies that do not identify medical use might falsely implicate mar1juana, rather than sickness, as the cause of depressed feelings."

The new study adds to a growing body of knowledge suggesting that mar1juana's active components, called cannabinoids, may be beneficial in certain psychological disorders. In a review published this May in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, researchers form the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in Great Britain noted, "Patient reports and observations, backed by known pharmacology, suggest that the cannabis derivatives delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) may have mood stabilizing properties," including anti-depressant and anti-anxiety effects.

"Drug Czar John Walters has tried to frighten Americans about mar1juana, using exaggerated and incomplete data cherry-picked to support his ideology," said Rob Kampia, executive director of the mar1juana Policy Project in Washington, D.C. "Science should be used to inform policy, not manipulated to scare the public."

With more than 18,000 members and 120,000 e-mail subscribers nationwide, the mar1juana Policy Project is the largest mar1juana policy reform organization in the United States. MPP works to minimize the harm associated with mar1juana—both the consumption of mar1juana and the laws that are intended to prohibit such use. MPP believes that the greatest harm associated with mar1juana is imprisonment. For more information, please visit http://www.MarijuanaPolicy.org.

REFERENCE: Denson, Thomas F. and Earleywine, Mitchell, "Decreased Depression in mar1juana Users," Addictive Behaviors, in press, available at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03064603.

http://www.mpp.org/releases/nr20051117.html

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Sounds nice, but if traces of a substance found in my blood stream can get me fired; then I'll pass no matter how happy it makes me.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I hear ether makes you happy, let's drink some!

4. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you now promoting the use of mar1juana?

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Why not? It's legal!

6. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

In a related study, researchers found a strong positive correlation between consuming brownies, watching scooby doo, and laughing a lot and overall levels of happiness.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You're new here, aren't you? :D

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

My cousin's bi-polar and uses it instead of his prescribed drugs. Apparently it helps him, without killing his personality like the prescribed drugs. I'm all for it.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I get depressed when there is no marijuna. So does Reefer Alston.

11. insane man

insane man Member

is that why he's been sucking lately? whens our next trip to denver?

12. surrender

surrender Member

You first.

Also, I'm surprised at the outrage in this thread. How dare people choose to use a drug that doesn't affect anybody but themselves

13. Agent27

Agent27 Member

I don't know. People who act like r****ds annoy the hell out of me for some reason and everybody I know who smokes pot (I'm in college so I know quite a few who do it) acts like a freakin' r****d. Not to mention that at least 10 of the potheads I know are about 28 and are still sophomores.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

To be fair, I think most drunken frat boys are "r****ds" or atleast feel they are, but you don't see the need to outlaw alchol for fraternities.

15. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I bet people who use mar1juana are less depressed - they are probably less employed too.

16. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'd rather be unemployed and happy rather than employed and unhappy.

He looks happy. :)

[​IMG]

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this is a BAD idea...

young men who are predisposed to mental disease(bi-polar, scizoprenia)
    are more likely to have a psychotic episode when they smoke pot
    I have witnessed it myself in more than one friend of mine...

your cousin's self medication is affecting the chemical balances in his brain and should stick to his meds and stop smoking weed...

i have smoked plenty in my day, but I dont believe in these pro-pot advocates who just want to legalize the drug for their own pleasure...

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

What's that free wheelin' Franklin saying?

"Its better to have drugs in time of no money than money in times of no drugs."

;)

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"People say mar1juana makes you lose your motivation. That's such a lie. When you're stoned you can do anything you can do when you're not stoned. You just realize it's not worth the ****ing effort." - B. Hicks

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2 things.

1. This appears to be a scientific study, and if those are indeed the facts why should anybody get mad that the facts are posted?

2. I will follow up with batman's comedy theme. I heard a comedian talking about pot. He said that pot should be legal, but being a stoner should be illegal [insert your own funny immitation of stupid and annoying things stoners do and say here.]