1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New state vehicle inspection system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by likestohypeguy, Mar 29, 2015.

1. likestohypeguy

Now after your inspection sicker expires, you don't get another sticker to put on your windshield, just some certificate that you keep & show them whenever you get your next registration sticker.

So my question is, if one's inspection sticker expires now, & it's long before their registration does, what's the incentive to get the inspection sticker now? Instead of right before you have to get your registration?

The only thing I can think of if you get pulled over for something else in the meantime, might ask to see that inspection certificate if you no longer have a sticker?

Anyone else in this situation, what are you doing, just getting it now anyway? I guess eventually it won't matter, they'll always both be once a year anyway. Just putting it off 8 months.

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

What reason do you have to NOT get the inspection sticker now? It can't hurt, and you'd be abiding by the law. By the way, you don't have to get pulled over for "something else." Some cops will pull you over just for having an expired inspection sticker. Also, some neighborhoods and apartment complexes will tow your car if the stickers aren't current.

Just get the dang thing.

Also, this: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=262324

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What is the motivation of neighborhood/apt complex towing a resident's car if their inspection sticker is not current?

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The motivation could be that you have to get it inspected within 90 days of getting your tags renewed. If your tags don't get renewed in the next 90 days then you will have to have a second inspection within that 90 day window.

Apartment and residential tows for inspection stickers have to have it written into lease or homeowners agreements and a 10 day notification according to Texas law.

5. The Boz

The Boz Member

My inspection expires this month and registration expires end of May. I am in no hurry to get inspection. Just took sticker off today. Will get it done sooner or later.

6. likestohypeguy

So if my inspection tag expired in March, and my registration isn't up until October, I'm ok so long as I get inspection done within 90 days from now? Can't just wait to until September.

Thanks all, even the super angry guys. Sorry about adding to your anger.

7. The Law

The Law Member

I can tell you that in Galveston county we have been advised in a recent training NOT to use Expired Inspection as probable cause for a traffic stop anymore and as of March 1st in the state of Texas you can no longer write citations for Expired Inspection.

It's going to take about 18 months for the entire state to transition to the new system.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just take the expired inspection sticker off and wait until your registration is due before you get the certificate. There's no need at all for the inspection sticker now, I'd imagine that you can even remove unexpired inspection stickers as well if you want.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had registered in January and my inspection expired in Feb.

So I just took my inspection sticker off..and I will renew it closer to next January before my registration expires. I want my inspection to expire before my registration.

My other car's registration expires in August, but the inspection expires this month. But i will wait till june/july before I get it done.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm going through this now, and it is a pain in the butt. I am trying to sell my car, and since it doesn't have a valid inspection I can't get the registration to transfer the title. So, I have to drop a few hundred bucks in some sensors to get it to pass inspection before I can transfer the title - even though the buyer and I had agreed that they'd fix the issue. Thanks TXDOT!

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah that is great. You shouldn't be able to transfer a title on a ****box that can't even pass smog.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's TXDOT's fault you let the inspection expire and have a car that isn't working properly? :confused:

[/sowly]

Why not just agree to add the cost on to the sales price of the car? Saves the guy the trouble of doing it himself.

13. Buck Turgidson

Oh hell yeah....

14. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Maybe if they have a deal with a towing company. My old complex did this about once a month. They would tow for both expired registration and inspection stickers. They would also tow people who parked in "resident spots" if they didn't have a resident parking tag but none of the spots were actually marked.

BTW: Don't ever liven in a Camden complex unless you don't mind paying a buttload of fees and fines on top of higher than standard rent. They tried to charge me almost $3k because they lost my 60 day move out notice. I also got a $40 lease violation for having patio lights on my patio. They said they were holiday lights (they were not) and would be forcibly removed if they weren't down by the end of the day. I am so glad to be out of that place.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I lived at Camden Greenway for one year. That Diamond CLub across got to be one of the worst strip clubs in town.