1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New ‘Textalyzer’ Device Could Give Cops the Power to Scan Cell Phones Instantly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Apr 13, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://lawnewz.com/crazy/new-textalyzer-device-could-give-cops-the-power-to-scan-cell-phones-instantly/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/13/new_york_cellphone_bill/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">'Textalyzer' lets police scan driver's phone <a href="https://t.co/UeuJzwshKS">https://t.co/UeuJzwshKS</a></p>&mdash; FOX 4 NEWS (@FOX4) <a href="https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/720235466037964800">April 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

BIG FAN! Pass these cell phone while driving laws ASAP. Kinda sick of these freaking idiots on the road.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hate that people type while driving...but this bill doesn't really seem equivalent to breathalyzers. The technology seems to be assuming way too much.

Can't you send text messages by voice command over blue-tooth connections now? Thus, you can send text msg's much like talking hands-free.

I can see cars usurping this bill quickly by having text displays which read incoming texts with easy voice response.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And another thing. Wouldn't most accidents occur in the middle of typing a text, not after hitting send. So, the textalyzer wouldn't even catch the people who were distracted by typing, since it isn't logged, yet. That might even lead to the "evidence" getting them off.

The Bill proponents' focus on equating this to breathalyzers seems based on poor forensic proof. Way too many technology holes, imo.

When devices like this become attached to Bill's and Police budgets, I can't help but think of the backdoor lobbying going on with money passing hands.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

You think text driving is bad... I've seen people text on motorcycles while moving at ungodly speeds in a few countries.. OK maybe like 20-30 mph, but that's still asking for it.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I see the text swerve a few times daily every time I drive. It's basically where you see a car swerving to the other lane and the driver isn't usually drunk since it's midday. I won't even blame teens for this as the majority of people I see doing this are older folks. IG is serious business folks.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Agreed. It's not safe.

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't know if this would work, how it would work or even if I would want it to work. I listen to podcasts and Spotify via bluetooth pretty much every day in my car. I get in and start up my music and start driving. I don't touch my phone or even the radio. I agree that texting while driving is incredibly dangerous and needs to be stopped but I don't like it. Would you get in trouble for streaming music over your stereo? We already have the NSA collecting data on every call and email and now we are going to have cops scanning our phones when we get pulled over?

Also I don't know if/how it would work from a a technological standpoint either. I can imagine phone manufacturers combating this when designing phones or even janky cell phone case makers selling "textalyzer proof" cases. If they try to force cell phone manufacturers to modify their phone security to be scanned more easily they will push back along with consumers and possibly carriers. We already have encrypted smart phones on the market that are gaining popularity (http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/28/blackphone-2-on-sale-north-america/). If it were to pass it would be quickly circumvented. I also don't know how they would differentiate between data from something like whatsapp vs Spotify or even something that always frequently refreshes like a weather app or email. Would they contact your cell carrier? I don't see it even passing committee especially with all of the recent NSA revelations. If it actually gains support, I wonder how they would argue around this not being a violation of the 4th amendment. I am no expert but I don't think there is any way in hell this thing passes so I am not worried.

This just screams "wacky bill that will never pass that some Congressman sponsors to get some headlines". Texting is driving is terrible and now Terrance Murphy (he may be a good guy, I don't know) can talk about how he tried to stop it in his next campaign ad. I just don't see it passing or even working.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Don't like it or the mandatory breathalyzer. You should need probable cause or a warrant to search me or my stuff. A mere accident isn't enough.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I thought this might be like a breathalyzer to prevent drunken texts.

That would be useful.

11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

It's pretty dumb but I get it.

Got smashed with a $460 fine two years back in Australia for using the GPS on my phone to get to the airport at night.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The sooner we get to a purely automated driving society, the better. I don't trust people on the roads.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I have developed the habit of going on airplane mode while making car trips.

I've gotten in two close calls via texting and driving.

I learned my lesson.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Most people on the road are terrible drivers even when they are paying full attention to the road. Many are terrified of driving and some are simply incompetent. Texting and driving is my biggest pet peeve. Driving 60 in the fast lane is a close second.

Why is texting and driving not illegal? They have a seatbelt law, they can certainly have a texting law. Even if it's hard to enforce, it's still more of a deterrent than nothing at all.

Stop ****ing texting and driving people.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can't wait for the sextalyzer edition where cops can download all your selfies in an instant

16. AXG

AXG Member

I think it's over-broad, as the driver could be using the phone for GPS or music.