1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nevada Debate Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by baller4life315, Feb 19, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A lot of people are content with their health insurance because they barely use it. Once they start using it, they usually start hating it and are drowned in deductibles and increases in their premium.

If a healthy 30 year old male says "I love my employer subsidized health insurance", take it for a grain of salt.

Newlin likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Was a good debate - will be interesting to see where we stand at Super Tuesday.

DD

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I am, and I think a lot of other likely Republican voters will as well...likely for the first time. Too good a show to pass up!

And it didn't disappoint!

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

And a lot of people are content with their health insurance precisely because they DO use it. Or because they like the cost. I have yet to see any Democratic proposal which is going to either lower my costs or increase my coverage. Most other people would be the same. The VAST majority of people who want health insurance have it. The problem with health care in this country is NOT coverage, it is COST. Obamacare did nothing to reduce cost...they didn't even address the right problem.

5. fchowd0311

https://www.axios.com/health-care-c...ing-428c6244-6dc5-4f5a-94c3-8c6cb89500e9.html

6. fchowd0311

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Idk I was a huge Klobuchar fan but after last night I’m seriously thinking about switching back to Biden. I was one of the #DraftBiden folks back in 2016 because he was a much better choice than Bernie or Hillary. I’ve been hesitant in 2020 because he’s showed his age A LOT...but last night he was able to stick to his message with few slip-ups. He’s still able to convey strength and stability in doses. He’s taller than everyone up there, plain speaker, imposing. He showed me what I’ve been missing from him.

jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is far deeper than just healthcare. Quality of life roots far deeper for many in this country than just healthcare. We can do so much better.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Change happen when the status quo is not sustainable or is more painful to stay the same. That's the argument that needs to be made for either M4A or public option.

Medicare advantage is actually private insurance that cover more than what traditional medicare cover. Some people chooses that. Some opt for only traditional medicare. And some opt for traditional medicare supplemented with medigap for additional coverage.

M4A is simply single payer and would be quite different from current medicare in term of what it cover (traditional medicare doesn't cover dental and eye for example and there are still ded and copay) but more important how it would completely change the health care system. Public option is more closely to what medicare is today, provided as an option in the marketplace along side with private insurances.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another assessment:

http://theglitteringeye.com/last-nights-democratic-presidential-candidates-debate/

Last Night’s Democratic Presidential Candidates’ Debate
    Dave Schuler February 20, 2020

Against my better judgment I watched the Democratic presidential candidates’ debate last night. It was, as I anticipated “let’s attack Bloomberg” night. His weaknesses as a candidate, particularly for the Democratic presidential nominee, were exposed. Some of his strengths were, too, but that could hardly be heard for the din. In many cases he told them the truth. They can’t handle the truth.

Overall I was left with the following impressions. Bernie Sanders is anticipating a vast wave of support from unseen and unheard ideological voters who support his position. That is a notion that crops up in American politics every so often on the part of highly ideological candidates. It was the assumption of the Goldwater campaign. It was the assumption of the McGovern campaign. That strategy has always gone down in flames in the past. Maybe this time is different. I would add that I’m not convinced that as many people have the burning hatred of Donald Trump that those on the stage had.

Joe Biden looked like he was desperate for attention. Elizabeth Warren’s attacks against Bloomberg were the most successful but somehow I received the impression that she is now running for the vice president’s slot on a Sanders-Warren ticket.

I thought that, if you’re looking for a president who would implement modest reform from within, you could do worse than Amy Klobuchar but if you want a president who will tear down the American economy and politics, Bernie Sanders is your man.

11. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Winners: Warren, Sanders, Biden, Pete

Losers: Klobuchar, Bloomberg

Warren A+ - She came out on fire and looked in control for the entire debate. She was playing with nothing to lose. If she had debate performances like this every time, then perhaps she would be in a stronger position, but it might be too little too late.

Sanders B - He barely got attacked and when he did it wasn't effective. I feel like he didn't do anything to hurt his commanding lead that he has. If Bloomberg was not on the stage I would bet that he would have been attacked the entire night. Solid chance that after super Tuesday he will be the candidate.

Biden B+ - He had a low bar to clear and when he did speak he was very effective. This was a great night for him, but I just don't see him gaining in support after this debate. He still looks and acts too old, which is a problem for him. If Biden were a few years younger I think he would have had this nomination wrapped up months ago.

Pete A- - He did really well last night and could perhaps see a little surge. He got under Klobuchar's skin at the end and was effective in some of his attacks. He's clearly the smartest guy in the room and he knows it, but he needs to start coming across as more authentic. I don't know if he will still be in the race after super Tuesday, but he has a bright future.

Klobuchar D- - I would have given her a failing grade, but Bloomberg was on the stage so she had a fairly unforgettable debate. She really needed a strong debate showing like she did last time and Pete really got under her skin and it was obvious. She more than likely will not make it beyond super Tuesday. It will be interesting to see where her support goes.

Bloomberg F - Look, this might have been the single worst debate performance that I can remember. If Bloomberg ever gets the nomination then that would mean Trump would win in a massive landslide. I mean my god, his answers to the NDA was embarrassing and his attitude came across as a smug douche bag. He had better moments later on in the night, but I think he's toast after watching that first part of the debate. He looked extremely uncomfortable the entire night, and I just wonder what a debate with Trump would look like if he can't handle Elizabeth Warren. There's still a chance that he could keep his support for right now because he will flood the airways with ads, but last night was a disaster for him and it might be too late.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

Man these people get paid to write such surface layer platitudic "analysis". You see such level of nuance in every other rando Reddit comment.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Public option (the moderate dem candidates) give you an option to buy medicare in the marketplace. I think it will absolutely be cheaper than private insurance unless private ins are serious about competing with it. There are dynamic at play where it could push cost down for everyone or it could simply put private ins out of business if their overhead is too high and they can't compete.

M4A in the way Bernie describe it covers everything. Your private ins absolutely doesn't cover everything, can deny some coverage and has copay and ded. He hasn't proposed how it would be paid for, except you know that he will tax the rich and increase taxes overall. But it definitely will be a shift toward the rich to pay for a large chuck of it.

Warren does outline who pay for it so you can do a rough calculation on how it would impact you. It will increase coverage over private ins.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Use it or not, I think most people don't understand how much health care costs since most people healthcare premium (and in some cases, their OOP costs) are subsidized by their employers (which absolutely has some impact to their wages - it would be higher if employers didn't have to subsidize the cost). They do know that coverage is going down while cost is going up, but most do not understand the true cost.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I'm surprised the media is jumping all over Bloomberg. I watched the debate and think he did great.
    He called out the ridiculousness of some of the ideas and showed himself to be a cerebral person
    who knows details and knows how to manage a large organization.

The articles are not reflective at all of the performance. He was calm, measured, rational and had
    depth which is more than I can say for the rest of the clown car.

Amy Klobuchar was about to start crying and can't stop shaking. Visibly rattled.

Pete Buttigieg is like a new MBA grad thinking they have all the answers, sounding great despite no real experience and wisdom

Sanders is just nuts. He has a vile hatred against wealth despite being a guy as Bloomberg called out that is a millionaire with
    three homes himself. He himself is a top 1 percenter, that hates the .1 percenters.

Elizabeth Warren is just a fake all the way through. The American People have seen through her charade. Now she's taking a VP like stance as an attack dog.

Joe Biden has so little cohesion in what he is saying. He changes subjects, mixes thoughts and get's confused easy. He barks things out, but jumbles the topics and I never answers the question. He looks like he will be senile soon.

If any of you HATE Trump and want him out, Bloomberg is the guy to do it. He will wipe the floor in debates with Trump because he is what Trump aspires to be. A true self-made multi billionaire. He negates much of Trump's strengths and many republicans I know will vote for Bloomberg.
    I would even contemplate voting for Bloomberg.

Any of these other candidates have NO chance to beat Trump.

foh likes this.
  17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

All we talk about is who is going to pay for healthcare and we've been throwing money and consumers throw money and the companies throw money all into to cesspool known as the medical industry.

But why does the industry have so much control? Because government regulation allows medical groups to control the supply of medicine and limits the number of doctors. They also strictly control what is 'the practice of medicine' and act like a cartel. Osteopathy, Chiropracty, Physician Assistants etc. are byproducts of the stranglehold of lack of doctors through their union like control of the industry.

So much of what doctors do can be done by others, but the doctor's union won't allow it. Look at the huge lawsuits against midwives, teeth cleaning companies and the fight against Warby Parker to allow free eye exams on your phone.

We are being milked by an industry that leverages state and regulatory power to screw us over.

We need a Sam Walton, Sol Price, Henry Ford of healthcare but when the providers are in an artificial shortage to keep their prices up you have no ability to create low-cost efficient systems.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Huge win for Bloombergo last night truly a dominating performance.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

True, but...what do you think will happen if employers don't need to provide it anymore? They'll stop charging employees for their share of it. Do you think they'll give across the board pay raises, equivalent to what they are paying for their portion of it?

TheresTheDagger and jiggyfly like this.