1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets Interested in Paul But Wont Give Up "Scary Good" Favors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JVL713, Sep 16, 2010.

1. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/7/28/1591899/nets-have-interest-in-paul-but

Pretty old article, could have been posted before.

Anyways, If the Nets are still as high on Favors now as they were back in late july, do you guys think they will still offer him in a deal for Carmelo?

IMO, Chris Paul is on the same level as Carmelo, so refusing to trade Favors for CP3 but including him in a deal for Melo sounds odd.

The article also says if they make any move it would be for a power forward...and we all know Melo plays small forward.

If the Nets don't offer Favors, and the Bulls don't offer Noah, it looks like the Rockets really will have the most to offer the Nuggets. NY may be Carmelo's first option, but, as has been said countless times, they don't have the assets to put together a good enough package for the Nuggets.

We have enough Melo threads, and the purpose of this one isnt to talk about us trading for Carmelo. I just wanted to see what you guys think about the likelihood of the Nets giving up "Scary Good" favors.

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I would give him and Harris up in a heart beat for Paul

Plus he didn't even do that great in the summer league

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YES MELO COME TO DADDY!
    [​IMG]

4. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

The range of what kind of player Favors ends up being right now is a huge variable. If he puts it all together, he could be very similar to Dwight Howard. He has the kind of size and physical ability to be one of the NBA's very best bigmen, a true superstar.

However, he didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first year at Georgia Tech. I've heard that part of this had to do with the guards doing a terrible job of (or just refusing to) get the ball inside to their big men. He could end up being one of those guys who is able to get by in the league based on physical ability alone, but never ends up being more than a typical starter in the NBA.

I think the Nets would have to think seriously about giving up a "maybe Dwight Howard" for a "definite Chris Paul". When Paul is healthy, he is the best point guard in the league. He is capable of leading a team, and he might even be able to push the Nets into the playoffs in the East. Derrick Favors may turn out to be very good, but he's not ready to do that yet.

The way I see it, the Nets could make a major improvement right now, or they can be patient and really hope that a young guy like Favors improves. It's hard to see him being definitively better than a first team NBA point guard though.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

He actually beasted in SL. Its just not apparent because one player on that team started jacking up shots to the tune of 16+ a game. His last game that player got benched and Favors put up 22 and 10.

Well IMHO the solution's simple: Lopez and Harris/pick for Paul/Melo. Lopez will never be above Joakim Noah level. That's pretty good already, but Favors looks like he has DH level potential.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Favors looked very good in SL when I saw him play and I think the Nets got a keeper. Wouldn't be surprised if Lopez gets traded next summer. I'm just not as high on him as most here are. Saw too many stinker games from the guy. I think Favors and Lopez overlap and, at this very early point in time, Favors has the higher upside.

7. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

8. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Ya I just saw his first game against the 76ers with even turner and he had a couple points and rebounds

9. YaosDirtyStache

I cannot believe the sheer ignorance on this board. Lopez is on the upper echelon of Centers last season, I would rank him in the top 3.

The man almost averaged 20/10/2/2 and has yet to MISS a game in his entire 2 year career. Joakim Noah? GTFO of here. The polish on Lopez game is unmistakable and if he adds a fire to his ass this kid has franchise potential. Infact if anyone is untouchable on that team, Lopez is it. A true 7 footer with an amazing midrange touch, hops, blocks, and everything else does not grow on trees.

A Favors Lopez frontcourt is good enough to suffer with while the other pieces are acquired.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Paul is above Melo.

11. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Dude i love your sig... if kevin martin said that, WOW thats awesome.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess the fact that the NETS became the 2nd most losing team in History has absolutely nothing to do with Lopez right? You already said he was the only player healthy last season, why couldn't they eke out a couple more wins then?

Top 2 or 3? LOL no way a team with a top 2/3 center in the league ends up with 2nd worst record in the entire history of the NBA. Lopez is already polished as you said. What else can he improve that will elevate him into franchise level? Its not like he's some raw player whose body still has to fill out and stuff. I said he's on the level of Joakim Noah and I'm sticking with it. JN isn't bad at all, as far as centers go he's in the top 10.

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I'd only take Paul if he gives out free knuckle touches. :grin:

14. YaosDirtyStache

Yes. He was on a terrible TEAM...you obviously think players in todays NBA are capable of supporting an entire team on their shoulders alone without the help of actual NBA level talent surrounding them. He is a finesse player, as such his impact can go relatively understated outside of the box score. (BTW I believe the Nets to have tanked many of their games through the whole season, blown leads galore last year)

How does Noah get his points? Easy. Putbacks and basketcuts.
    How does B.Lopez get his points? Putbacks, basketcuts, midrange shot, hook, turn around.

Seriously, his talent level is MILES above Noah. To put them in the same category is almost an insult to the work Lopez has put into his game...he is everything Noah is, and more.

Just for kicks, who is your top 3 centers list of the 2010 NBA season?

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So were in the thick of things. We'll have to be patient.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol what are you talking about? You must have confused Brook Lopez with Blake Griffin. BL isn't an athletic beast, he's game is more similar to someone like Elton Brand or Joe Johnson-more skill than athleticism or talent.

As for the nets, aside from Devin Harris being injured I can't recall any other significant difference from the season they got the Lopez (where they were like 6th worst team for the season), and last year where they basically became the 2nd most pathetic team ever. I'm not saying a bonafide franchise center should carry everything, however not being the 2nd worst team ever shouldn't be that hard to do. In fact, 99% of centers have not been part of the 2nd worst team ever.

I'm not saying BL is bad, just that you're drinking too much kool-aid if you think he's gonna be anythign more than above-average. He can't defend and clog the lane the way top Cs can. Sure he's more polished offensively than Noah, however Noah provides defense and rebounding in a way BL just can't do which is why I think they're pretty equal.

As for my top 3 c's, it would probably be something like this:

1. Dwight Howard
    2. Yao Ming
    3. Andrew Bogut

All of those guys pwn BL any day, and I think Marc Gasol and Kendrick Perkins are definitely much better than him as well.

17. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

It's fun reading spin from other teams.

18. YaosDirtyStache

And back to the hangout I go!

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I want in on the Brook Lopez argument!!

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle, but if I had to find one side more off-base, it would be roslolian. Brook Lopez definitely is better than Noah already. MILES better? Maybe not, but clearly better? Yes.

For a player who:

Lopez has been remarkably above average in blocks his first two years. He was 9th in bpg last year and still 22nd in blocks per 48 minutes.

Moreover, he's a decent rebounder. Not great, but better than Noah, on both a per game and per 48 minute total.

Plus, I don't think anyone called him an athletic beast. On the contrary, DirtyStache specifically noted:

which you proceeded to argue against by stating exactly that - he's a skill player, as DirtyStache said.

Brook has had PER of 17.9 and 20.1 his first two years in the leauge. Noah has been 15.5, 16.5, 17.9.

Brook has actually had the higher true shooting % while there effective field goal %'s have been about the same. This is surprising actually, considering Lopez does take more mid-range jumpers. He must get the to FT line a lot more than Noah. But we knew his offensive game was superior to Noah's.

Advanced stats do show Noah to be the better rebounder.

If all potential centers in the NBA stay healthy, then I don't think Lopez is top 3. But he is moving up. Moreover, thus far he's stayed healthy, like Dwight, while Yao, Bogut and even now Perkins have not (not that I think Perkins is better even if healthy).

But I don't think it's fair to call him top 3 yet.

As for team record, Brook clearly needs to do a better job carrying his team. But that Nets squad was complete disarray last year. I actually place a lot of the record lame on the organization and coaching. Absent the roster changes they made this offseason, I'd be comfortable saying Avery would have had that team with twice as many wins last year. Adding Favors, and some of the other moves, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nets with 30+ wins this year - not playoff caliber yet, but on their way.

If I'm the Nets I don't think I'd include Lopez or Favors in any deal. I'd be more inclined to do so for Melo than Paul, though. I actually like CP3 better, but you'd have to look at other assets. Devin Harris is not an upper echelon PG, but he is certainly a capable starting PG on a playoff team, even potentially a championship caliber team. Capable, not the reason they'll get there. But on the wings, the Nets seem to be a little devoid of talent. Harris/Melo/Lopez strikes me as a lot better than CP3/Harris/Lopez - assuming Favors was the key to any trade.

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I like Brook's game.

But honestly, guys, putting him in the top 3 in terms of NBA centers-no.

Simple reason-he was a significant part of a 12-70 team.

I don't care how many individual stats you throw at me, basketball is a team sport and it's all about winning. 20/10 means almost nothing if your team wins only one out of seven times.

And it's not like NJ was completely barren of talent either, what with Harris, Lee, YIIIII, Chris-Douglas Roberts-admittedly that's not super-strong, but it should have been enough for a true top 3 center to win more then 12 games.