1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets and Lakers attack Morey in backroom meeting with Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Oct 14, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Catch up pops. You're way behind on this story. Rockets players themselves have already lost endorsement money. Lakers/Nets players have already lost appearance fees. Lakers/Nets players and executives have already had "tense" meetings with Silver in China asking for punishment.

All of these things have already been reported.

We don't know what the ultimate ramifications will be to every player, team, the league, salary cap, etc. But it's already a ****-show and fiasco that has directly impacted LOTS of people's pocket book.

C'mon pops, you're living in the past. China is HUGE. Part of the reason it's such a big story. There are more Chinese fans of the NBA than Americans, by far.

malakas and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you just miss how players don't want to play with Lebron that much anymore?

It was only the reason for the wildest off season in NBA history.

I really don't think Lebron has any kind of real hate for Morey, especially to try and black ball him.

Let's see if anyone actually loses money before we ostracize Morey from the NBA.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  3. JayZ750

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is confusing. DM is public enemy #1 for just about anyone and everyone that has anything to do with the NBA or its teams. Not because they disagree with his position, but because DM lit the match. It can't be "we'll just think about that later" anymore. People have to come to grips now with their social position and their pocket-book. He has, unwittingly, forced their hand...

And while ultimately that might have close to zero impact on DM's ability to successfully GM the Rockets, we can't know for sure, and more likely than not it will be a much higher impact than zero. There's lots of potential scenarios that could play out here.

malakas likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

And? Because super STARS don't want to join him to become second fiddle it means he has lost his influence over the league?

5. JayZ750

Seriously... where have you been man?? Lol. Lots of people have already lost money, chief among them Daryl's employer.

malakas likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We are talking about millionaires and billionaires nobody has lost that much amount of money to be plotting against Morey.

Did I miss something did China cancel all NBA contracts?

7. malakas

malakas Member

How much you think they must lose to blackball him?
    There are agents right now who are boycotting GMs and teams because they were screwed from a couple of millions.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

First, let's calm down a bit because you're really coming off hot towards me right now and it's not really warranted. @JayZ750 and I were having a civil conversation and I respectfully responded back to his valid point.

Second, no this is NOT "the only" scenario I can think of because I never said it was the only scenario I can think of. Reread my unedited post again for clarification.

Third, if agencies are going to blackball Morey and the Rockets because of this then what do you think would happen if Morey resigned and another Gm took over? That those same agencies would all of a sudden grant the new GM a pipeline of players without asking the new GM to grab their ankles?

If you're going to insert yourself into the conversation between @JayZ750 and I at least try to be civil like I've tried to be towards him/her.

9. JayZ750

You're literally posting in a thread that was created to discuss how LOTS of players/executives were pissed at Morey. I'm not sure how else to catch you up to speed, lol.

Also, I don't think you're that up to speed on how value is created. $25 million (current estimate of Tilman's lost China-sponsorship money for this year) might not seem a lot to a "billionaire", but Tilman doesn't have billions of dollars liquid in some bank somewhere. His value is in his assets. His assets include the Rockets. The Rockets enterprise value is a function of its P&L and future growth opportunity. It's P&L has taken a meaningful hit, but more importantly the future growth potential is now murky. You pay $2+ billion for a team that has deep roots in China, a market seemingly ready to explode with exponentially higher and higher $$s coming in. For goodness sake, the Rockets freaking "city" jersey is CHINESE LETTERING. If you don't think Tilman has taken a hit from that, you're not paying attention.

malakas likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes.

He had trouble getting people to do the Space Jam movie.

Its pretty obvious he foes not hold that much sway anymore it's a generational thing.

11. JayZ750

I'm only using personal professional experience. I know that when I'm dealing with a counterpart and I have direct knowledge of some gaffe they made or something "unique" about their person like that, it definitely impacts the tone and tenure of the conversation, business dealings, etc. It has to, that's just life you know. You use things to your advantage, or things to help make you comfortable or put someone else at disease, etc.

There's lots of potentially good GM candidates out there. I threw out Trajan Langdon in another thread. If the Rockets moved on from DM and brought in Langdon, hypothetically, I'm pretty sure the China impact associated with Trajan would be zero. He'd be treated like any other GM at that point.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

??
    I have no clue how I was no civil to you.. But I apologise if I insulted you somehow. I am very calm and only saw my post as normal basketball discussion? I really have no idea what part of my post offended you.

I gave you some exaples of how Morey is going to be blackballed.

What would happen if Morey resigned?
    Oh boy it would be a PR catastrophe of the league and Lebron. That's why I want him to do it. Because his firing is a foregone conclusion.
    He is in a position that it will be if not impossible extremely difficult to perform his duties. So why not go out on his own terms?

But if he got fired in a few months as I am sure they are planning to, then yes the team will not be blacklisted. Other teams when they have changed GMs with horrible reputations and problems with agents, immediately shed these problems when they changed managment (unless like the Knicks the problem is ownership).

However. I am sure that Silver will also pressure and influence Tilman on the choice of the new GM. Especially since he is a new and inexperienced owner he will want to "help" him. They will put in a yes man oldfashioned crony as the new GM who enjoys wide spread approval .

13. AirPower

AirPower Member

I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree because the league takes a very different stance and VERY publicly on domestic human rights and political issues.

If you are looking at it from a pure revenue perspective, then yes Morey made a mistake. So, if the league and the players want to stop taking positions, both professionally and as private citizens, on domestic issues then that's cool. But, it can't be OK to take positions in some cases (IE- when it's revenue neutral or revenue positive) and not be OK to take them in others (when it's revenue negative).

To me, it seems like the only problem here is that it could cost the league, which means it's not about what is right or wrong, it's about $, so the league and the players need to stop acting like they give two ***** about anything other than $.

If they terminate Morey (or pressure him out) due to China's outrage from his tweet then the league is a complete joke and not worth watching in my opinion. Just move the damned thing to China if that's how we are going to do things.

#133 AirPower, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  14. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Here is the answer:
    Daryl Morey IQ - somewhere between 145 and 170. Just a guess. This is highly to exceptionally gifted.
    NBA Player IQ - somewhere between 70 and 144. Again, just a guess. This is borderline mental disability to moderately gifted.

DM knew exactly what he tweeted. He was educated/informed about what is happening in HK and voiced his support for the people of HK. In addition , IMPORTANT POINT, it was done from his personal twitter, not the NBA/Rockets account.

Lebron fights for social justice only in the US and only when there is no financial impact to himself. He should have just STFU regarding this and not weighed in. HYPOCRITE and arrogant as ***!

GotGame15 and malakas like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Fair point(s). Maybe I'm in the minority here in thinking that until we actually see a direct correlation between Morey's tweet and his inability to acquire player(s) I'm going to stick with him. I try to be proactive in most matters but in this scenario I would rather be reactive based on what happens than to see Morey resign over something that might NOT happen. Tilman might not agree with me when he has two former MVPs on the roster but, given the current salary cap situation and the players on this roster, I doubt there are any GMs (including Morey) that can make enough moves to make this team any more competitive than it already is, even without a China ban. Even if you stick Jerry West in the GM spot and China comes back as a financial sponsor, he would still have the unenviable task of trying to turn the current roster into filling in the glaring hole you mentioned earlier at the 4 spot with little to no assets to use.

Again, I not opposed to a change in the GM role in the future but if Morey resigns over this matter (or gets his contract bought out) I don't think anyone coming in as GM would be able to make this team into a de-facto championship caliber team given the salaries involved on this roster so why not stick with Morey until it's definitively proven that his tweet is preventing him from doing his job?

AirPower likes this.
  16. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

LeBron will... if they put the drama on the players... it will take away from the international scandal. It’s a PR tactic. Trust.

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

FAKE NEWS

18. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW

LeBron James still has sway, but nothing like he did even two seasons ago. He is no longer the clear cut best player in the league and players are not lining up to play with him compared to the past. The end of the line isn't that far away for LeBron and there goes most of his influence. He still has an agency, but time will tell what kind of influence that really has long term.

My point being, I don't think Daryl Morey being GM is going to limit the Rockets at all. In fact, the league is far more accepting of him than they were even 5-10 years ago. He will not have an impact on free agents.

Now, if the CCP decides that they are going to continue to limit the Rockets availability overseas long term, then that is the mostly likely way he is removed as GM at some point quietly this next summer. At this point we do not know.

As far as replacing Morey, he is someone that is very difficult to replace. There are about 3-5 GM's in the league that are better than everyone else, and they have a true impact on the franchise. Daryl Morey in in that group. Finding someone like that isn't easy and is likely the only reason Morey is still employed.

19. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Lebron crying to Adam Silver like a kindergarten or first grader. Telling on Morey and crying because he didn’t get punished. Boohoo

yea if a player criticized or talked bad about the refs or the nba they would get “punished” but I doubt the nba would have punished any player for posting something about China. It would have affect their sponsorships and deals in China but that would be on them, too. Plus there isn’t anything on the rules about not talking about politics.
    And what did Lebron want them to do to Morey ? Fired him, fine or ban him? there would be more blacklash if they have done any of those things.

20. MrJason

MrJason Member