1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] The Push - using social pressure to convince someone to commit murder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jugdish, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

This came out a couple of years ago in England, but they just released it on U.S. Netflix. This Derren Brown guy sets up an elaborate experiment with dozens of actors to attempt to convince the mark to commit murder. They get him to accept more and more troubling situations before getting to the final decision: whether or not to push a guy off a ledge to his death.

It's really unsettling stuff and probably unethical, like the Stanford prison experiment and the one where they had people thinking they were electrocuting other people on the other side of a wall.

Even if you're told it was a setup in the end, how could you go on knowing you essentially committed murder?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting Premise
    I doubt it will work though

Rocket River

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Meh... as my wife said, just tell me what happens at the end in a spoiler, than I'll watch something else.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The guy they spend the whole show on doesn't do a couple of things they try to get him to do (opening a box with a dead body in it in front of a crowd of people, kicking the dead body to put bruises on it to make it look like a fall), so he does put up some resistance to social pressure eventually. In the end, he doesn't push the guy to his death. But then they reveal three other test subjects, all of whom did every questionable act they were pressured to do, including the murder.

fba34 and Ziggy like this.
  5. MystikArkitect

I’d be pretty pissed. I’d like to think I wouldn’t commit the murder but if I did I’m not sure how I’d go about living with that information.

We watched it last night, was interesting.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

haven't watched it, but was there moneez involved? or just social pressure?

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Social pressure and the threat of jail time.

I feel like what bumping my own thread, but y'all need to see this show. It shook me to the core.

marks0223 and Jontro like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sounds exactly what people have in store these days.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not surprising at all. The holocaust, slavery, black lynchings, jihads.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Most of what Darren Brown does is bullshit. I used to be into his acts but I looked deeper and found out he's a hack. For example he had this special where he would predict lottery numbers live but he ended up just using camera tricks. Dude just spliced the bottom half of the screen while an assistant switched out numbers before he revealed them. He didn't think anyone would notice and people were pissed. I wouldn't be surprised if the main dude in this was an actor too.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Big deal. I use social pressure on bbs.clutchfans.net to give me likes on posts like this all this all the time.

khanhdum likes this.