1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Great series, enjoyed it a lot.

Question (I'll spoiler it just in case):

Did they say how/where the monster came from?? Did I zone out during that part of the episode?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They haven't explained much but the thing I liked about the series is it didn't really matter much. The mystery isn't the focus of the series. Just a side.

3. Buck Turgidson

Some sort of alternate dimension that got opened by their experiments (nice shoutout to King's "The Mist") on the children. I believe it happened after Eleven touched it while she "traveled" there in the sensory deprivation tank.

4. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Did anyone else find it weird that no one else seemed to really care about Barb being dead? Nancy seemed to move on quickly...

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Not really. She seemed like an annoying girl whose role was to be a perpetual party pooper. The reaction seems valid.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I caught "The Mist" references also. That movie was so screwed up by the way...(never read the book)

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

My wife and I talked about this -- she moved on ridiculously quickly -- everyone did.

Will missing was this huge ordeal the whole town was talking about. Barb goes missing, actually gets killed/never returns, and they barely bat an eyelash.

Nancy is kind of a dick though, so perhaps that was intentional?

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Who knows, the Barb thing might be touched on in season 2. (I'm guessing there will be one because of the bug that gets coughed up.)

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Umm I always thought of it as they all think she just ran away because she was unhappy. That's far more accepting for everyone (except her BFF who knows what really happened).

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't disagree with that, but her parents accepted that quite quickly if that's the case. Like I said, I just think Nancy is kind of a bad person.

Actually, no one in this movie takes care of each other really if you think about it. No one was there for Will, then the son is never home because he's off adventuring or whatever. The mom has no clue where anyone is. Nancy's mom can't take care of her kids either, she never has any clue where either of them are. Plus they smuggled a girl in their basement for a week...she apparently never goes down there.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The whole thing is written to take the 1980's 12-year-old boy viewpoint on stuff. No 12 year old boy thinks his parents are great parents. Either their distant and self-absorbed in their own thing, or their controlling and smothering. In the tradition of 80's films, the kids need to understand what is going on while the parents are completely out of the loop. Good, caring intelligent parents would completely ruin the 'tween-angst vibe that permeates the show. The Goonies and ET are two that come to mind where clueless parents are core to the story. I'm sure I could come up with 1,000,000 more if I went to IMDB.

Honestly, if I had any complaint with this show, it's that there's a whole bunch of clunky dialogue that they hit you over the head with repeatedly which is used to establish that this sort of "parents are clueless and distant" teen vibe is what they are going for. It's much more obtuse and overt than any of the 80's movies they are using as inspiration.

2 people like this.
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Good point.

13. Buck Turgidson

Story is better, it's only a few hundred pages, check it out.

14. what

what Member

I didn't get but like 4 1/2 episodes in, but it didn't really appear to be horror, but more about some test experiment, which really didn't appeal to me. I know that there's a monster in the wall and the whole poltergeist reference, but I really didn't find the series all that appealing I have to say.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm really happy for you.

1 person likes this.
  16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm sure if the show had Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande songs throughout you'd hail it as the best show ever.

17. what

what Member

I can't stand Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez. I am however extremely obsessed with Demi Lovato and Jennette McCurdy. So there you go.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...seems like they have some stuff going into season two to explore and expand on. Or, do they go to a completely different story with different characters? I would assume most everyone is returning to further this story along in season two. While it felt like it kind of wrapped up if they wanted to end on that, there are still questions obviously. I guess I'm not clear if this is more like "True Detective" where they change it up every season? That seems doubtful versus the same cast returning. I thought Winona Ryder was particularly good in this....one of her best roles imo. The kids were great. Even all the gripes about Matthew Modine earlier in this thread...I didn't necessarily feel like he was a miscast or bad in this. Peculiar is how I would describe his performance and the character. It's still difficult to get a read on if he is truly a "bad" guy in this. Who this guy is and what his background is may be touched on more in season two.

19. nono

nono Member

Is this series really good ? I am hearing a lot of hype but I am tentative because I dislike the 80s in general.

20. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Show was amazing. If I would have read it on paper I would have thought it was stupid. But it was so well done.

It made me scared a bunch. Like little kid scared. (Im 33)