1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Because it felt like an 8 hour movie. If they add onto that story then it becomes a series. I'd prefer an 8 hour movie with no filler episodes and just full fleshed out characters and plot in that 8 hour span. If it becomes a series, there are forgettable things that happen too often. Then you add more characters. It becomes too convoluted. Keep it basic. Use the same actors if you have to. Kinda like american horror story but 2x as good.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/str...uffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

interview with creators about (potential) future seasons

#82 Commodore, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

lol - same thing I thought when watching the clip. Pretty sure it was just a segment in EC.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

5. Buck Turgidson

Or it could be great like Fargo.

I thought it was 3-2-1 Contact?

6. likestohypeguy

Yeah that's it.

I was hoping for an entirel new story/city everything too, but sounds like a continuation from the link.

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Just finished the series. It was great. I'm glad they didn't tie up everything but did finish the main story. I'm not even sure if I want a second season because this was so good and adding to it may diminish it overall if the quality is not there.

But this is why I keep my Netflix subscription because random goodness like this just pops up from time to time

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Exactly

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've only watched 2 episodes due to time constraints but man. It's just so good. Sucks I know all of the spoilers after reading this thread early and clicking every spoiler link. Smh.

I'm an addict. I wanna call in sick and binge.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You screwed yourself. I knew nothing except it was an 80's horror (King) throwback and am so glad because it is perfect.

10/10

Even more amazing considering all of the TV landmines they had to navigate. Landmines that can easily kill your series.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

But it's so easy to cancel and resume your sub. If you aren't using the service, might as well cancel, and resub when something comes up.

The wife and I just finished the show. I don't have much to add as I don't think the story itself is all that sensational, but the way it's told is amazing. The acting, especially from the kids, is top notch. I really got that Stand By Me nostalgia.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I thought the series was really well done. But there are some plot holes that I thought was weird. I'll spoiler the ones I think are "harmful."

How did the bullies know the kids were in the forest setting? Did they just happen to be there (with a knife, no less) or did they actually know the kids were there?

Of all the people to take, why did the monster take Will?

So the monster can sense blood. What exactly are the parameters? If someone gets a paper cut, skins their knee after falling off a bike or nicks their finger a bit while cutting vegetables, would the monster come after them?

So the monster feeds on people? Obviously, guns had little to no effect on the monster, so why didn't the monster drag all the people it had killed, so that it could harvest them for food?

11 went from being completely drained to being able to take out the monster, in like 3 minutes. Pretty convenient.

How did 11 know she could take out the monster? She didn't once say to the boys "I can destroy it. Put me down." Also, with her saying "goodbye, Mike," how did she know she was going to "die?"

Aside from that, everything about this series was well done. The score, the acting, the setting, the sci fi aspect. Everything.

For season 2, I know they can expand on: 1) How much Hopper knows about 11 / his meetings with the "secret service" people, 2) Where did 11 go? 3) Is Will "infected" now? 4) Will UpsideDown get explored further? 5) What was up with Hopper's daughter's apparent stuffed animal, found in UpsideDown?

^ So many questions. Really hope this gets renewed for season 2. Might supplant House of Cards as the best Netflix original.

13. likestohypeguy

All good points. And only a few of those occurred to me before you having pointed them out, but I did think about a few of them then moved on.

But, and I say this in all sincerity, you might just be too smart for this show. If that stuff bothered you to the extent that it prevented you having enjoyed it.

14. likestohypeguy

No after rereading I can tell you enjoyed it despite these problems you observed.

Just observations you're relating.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This post is perfection. Every word.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not patient at all with child actors but these did very well.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wouldn't say I'm too smart for the show - I just really enjoyed it, hence all the (unnecessary?) nitpicking. I don't really dissect shows unless I really enjoy them!

I don't think there's been a recent sci-fi anything (tv, movie, etc) that hasn't had one plot hole. It's probably the nature of the genre.

As another poster said, there are way too many cliffhangers / way too many interested viewers that want to find out stuff. I think a season 2 is guaranteed; critical acclaim, lots of buzz, etc. No way Netflix passes on a S2.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I saw the first two episodes. I agree it is all good. I really don't have a clue what the hell is happening, though. It has a "Species" feel to it...with some kind of alien experimentation and secret corporate lab involvement bs. I guess I'll continue watching to see where this goes. I'm really impressed with the acting. As far as critiquing Matthew Modine's performance after the first two, I don't think he has said anything yet. He does look kind of silly with that hair and even just the look on his face feels forced. But, I guess I'll wait on some dialog from him before I judge him. I'm thinking maybe they should have got David Duchovny in that role.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

That's the best part. The superb score and acting tides you over until most of the stuff is revealed.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm getting some Silent Hill vibes from the "upside down world"