1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I really enjoyed it. One of the best netflix shows for me

Biggest and only real problem I had with the show is Winona Ryder is an absolutely horrible actress

2. Buck Turgidson

I enjoyed it, but holy sh@t was Matthew Modine terrible. He looked stupid and he acted like a cigar store indian.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He was the weakest link

Rocket River

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Don't really disagree, but that character was going to be obnoxious no matter who played it. Distraught, stressed out, panicky mom is never gonna have entertaining dialogue or scenes.

5. opticon

opticon Member

The child actors made the show.

1 person likes this.
  6. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I thought it was great. They nailed the 80 feel. The story and acting even felt like a cheesy 80s movie.

7. likestohypeguy

I usually cannot stand child actors, even ruin good movies for me, but these guys were awesome. Not typical child actors at all. Super different and interesting looks and mannerisms.

Meanwhile Winona was the worst somehow, but I agree it was partly her character that made it less than pleasant to watch. I wish they'd have dialed that down a little. Matthew modine was just kind of there. Not offensive, but didn't do much for me either. All the more surprising the kids were the best in this series.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Random but did anybody else think the kid that plays Mike Wheeler looks like Shelly Duvall.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I thought Winona's acting really added to the 80s feel of the show. Otherwise, I would have been extremely annoyed with her. Yeah, Mathew Modine was just kinda there agreed. I really liked the sheriff. Steve was awesome in the most cheesy way.

I think somehow Mathew Modine lived and 11 is out there and will both be in season 2 if they keep the story the same. They better make it fast though before the kids get too old.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm 3 episodes in. I don't get all the "perfection" talk, but it's a very fun show, nonetheless. Netflix is money.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I love hopper!!!! I hope they make another season and we learn more about him.

also that dustin kid is hilarious - agree that the kids make the whole show.

down to the last episode tonight :(

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Color me also shocked/impressed with the level of acting the child actors in this series possess. The bond between the 3 friends was so enjoyable to watch. This series strung many emotional strings and a large part of it was due to some genuinely amazing acting.

Overall the series was amazing. From the musical score to the way this show was shot was pure excellence in my book. Every episode had a 'major summer blockbuster film' feel to it. Reminded me of Super 8. Really hope they continue with the series even if the first season conclusion was nicely wrapped up to look like the end of the whole series.

#52 fchowd0311, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

pump your brakes people, Winona Ryder is a national treasure

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wait! What?
    Gotta watch this!

15. fchowd0311

I would say a more accurate description would be a classic Steven Spielberg 80's retro vibe a la E.T. or Super 8 if you want to compare it to something recent.

It has a lot of 80's tropes such as "a group of nerdy kids who get bullied find themselves mixed up in an epic adventure".

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Finished it last night with my wife. We both really liked it. There were obviously some minor plot holes, but it's tv. Really great first season, and I'd love to see more. I'm not quite sure how they can improve on the first season though.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Bloodhound Gang was the vibe I got

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-4273oOYy7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Oh yeah the soundtrack is totally badass too.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm on the 2nd episode. The kids are all excellent. Natalia Dyer is pretty cute (she's 19, OK) as Nancy Wheeler. Millie Brown is great as Eleven. It's a bit odd that Lucas's family hasn't been introduced.. Really enjoying all of the references.

20. fchowd0311