1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Movie] The Old Guard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 21, 2020.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

i would love to get in the industry, but jontro's peepee isn't rocco enough, i've been told.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

With the rules established in the movie, don't all of them dream about new additions when become immortal?

I assumed that how she was aware of Booker.....

arkoe and Jontro like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Might need some spoiler tags up in here.

Jontro likes this.
  4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Dope movie can't wait for the sequel!

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Hope Hollywood producers realise they don't need to remake every action movie and replace the male lead with a female one; new content content like this is better.

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Found the scene where Nile was giving out sweets to children at the start to establish her as a good character that we should empathize with hilariously cheap yet effective, reminded me of old John woo movies.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought was that it was good, and Theron carried it. But the stakes seemed to low and some of the villany a little r****ded. Overall though interesting enough to watch.

saitou and arkoe like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Occupying troops have been doing this since the Roman Empire. My grandfather befriended local Japanese kids when he was a Marine on Okinawa in WWII. It builds support for the occupiers and ensures the kids to the troops. The happy side effect is that the troops get a happy feeling.

Jontro and saitou like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i didn't know anything about the plot coming in and didn't know what to expect. i actually thought that she was drugging them or something.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Mehflix gonna Mehflix. 5/10

I was fighting myself not to fall asleep in the movie. Why does mehflix always seem like its trying too hard with everything and ultimately just suck at making film? Who was the casting director? Niles is the worst effing actor and they made her one of the main characters.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i like it, but i do agree nile is the lowest point of the movie. her character is uninteresting and seemed like a minor plot device.

12. cebu

cebu Member

How's the sex scene?

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Uh...two dudes kiss a couple of times. Spoiler~!!!!

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty boring movie, honestly. The military girl actress wasn't very compelling to me.

Charlize is still A+ though

R0ckets03 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was a meh movie, and I would rather see a highlander TV remake.

I like Charlize but Atomic Blonde did it better.

2 things that didn't make sense
    That kissing scene was a funny way to disarm the soldiers, but why didn't they go guns a blazin with the element of surprise when they knocked them all out?

Nile saw the Asian chick drowning so I guess she got freed in that 6 month jump? No one else dreamt that her misery was finally over?

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I'll give it a 3/5. It seemed to pull from too many other themes. Immortal mercenaries with an altruistic agenda? How clique. Lets risk it all for a few kids while any father with a mask/helmet on is free game. And who couldn't predict the Cypher/Booker betrayal scene? Just so Merrick could find a way to end their existence? Are they really that impervious they could survive a nuclear blast? Or Niles/Neo rushing in to save the team from the ultra dorky super villain Merrick.

That said, it was better than the vast majority of super hero and star wars garbage that has been pushed out over the years.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It is standard Summer Action movie fare. I enjoyed it for what it was. 8/10. Will watch sequel.

18. dmoneybangbang

3.5/5.

Thought they did a pretty good job for making you feel for the immortals and was generally overall interesting.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Definitely an interesting concept and there are plenty of strong elements in the film, though I wish there was a little bit more action and a little less exposition. Nile was easily the weak link though as her performance was a bit forced at times. That's somewhat forgive-able since the other performances are great.

Hopefully it's not an outlier but more of a continuing trend, but Netflix has produced two solid action movies now, between this and Extraction.