1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[netflix]Altered Carbon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 12, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I could just never get into this show tried a few times.

Jontro and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Beezy

Beezy Member

Netflix's recap for season 1.

3. Beezy

Beezy Member

This is a really late response but sometimes I'm wondering if people are actually watching what they complain about. Tak was recruited into CTAC as a child, and agreed to it because they said they'd take care of his sister. Tak and his sister joined the Envoys to hide out from CTAC and the yakuza after they were reunited and turned against their respective groups. The Envoys weren't a 'murdering brute squad', they were rebels that wanted to end the immortality of the Meths (this is different from the books). Tak learns he was lied to and his sister was handed over to the yakuza, which is part of the reason he buys into the Envoy idealogy.

After being reunited with his sister, he finds out she
    1) runs torture clinics for information extraction
    2) recodes the stacks of hookers so that they can be killed at her Westworld club without them realizing it would be real death
    3) betrayed the Envoys and killed Quell
    on top of other things, like having the detective's family and partner killed.

She had become what the Envoys were fighting against. He was still trying to redeem her and bring back the sister he remembered until the end.

I'm not saying the show pulled it all off perfectly, but it's not hard to see why he didn't just peace out with his sister.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

"Envoys were trained and conditioned to transfer from planet to planet and into new bodies without the disorienting effects of needlecasting, meaning they could be combat-ready within moments. This allowed the U.N. Protectorate, the government in the “Altered Carbon” universe, to quickly field armies on any planet to put down rebellions."

"In order to deal with the challenges of interspace warfare, the U.N. created the Envoys. They are an elite military group with extensive training in re-sleeving and psychological modification, as well as combat. Envoys are so successful and dangerous that they are generally prohibited from holding elected office on any world."

I don't remember, but I think the show did an awful job of selling that ending. Could be wrong about the terminology. I did watch it pretty carefully. I liked the show and the universe, but was expecting the guy who was not exactly a hero to at least give his sis more of a shot.

5. Beezy

Beezy Member

That's the Envoys from the book. Changing what the Envoys are and making his sister the main antagonist are two of the biggest differences from the book and justifiably the top complaints about the show.

I'm looking forward to season 2, although Anthony Mackie comes off as a boring actor to me.

Entropy likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Feel the same way. Think I finished it but honestly not sure. Remember enjoying it for the most part but drifted at the end.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can I watch S2 without watching S1?

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the world building is some of the best parts of the show.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This show is so good

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

arkoe likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I should be all over this but for some reason I could never get into it, nothing compelling about the characters or plot.

Did you like The Expanse.

Love that show but the last season left me wanting a bit.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's too bad. I like trashy scifi and it was self aware enough to know it was trashy.

Hopefully they dump that budget into more series with eye candy.

The lack of a main actor probably killed it. On the abstract, a digital soul might be interesting and doable in a written format, visually it's confusing af for people who don't like the genre.

LosPollosHermanos and arkoe like this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

****ing lame news.

15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I liked it, but I can see those that didn't. I loved the books. I think some of the new shows on Netflix are definitely crap.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Season 2 was pretty poor compared to Season 1, this doesn't surprise me.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think they'll eventually end up with mostly rubbish shows. At the end of the day it's about numbers. You only have to look at what's the most popular in movies, tv, and music in the last few decades.