1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[netflix]Altered Carbon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

Holy **** Episode 6! :eek:

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This show is messy and all over the place. I was hoping for more. I still have 3 episodes to go. I hope it wraps up nicely and we dont get dragged into another season.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was interesting

Got confusing in the middle with
    the two Asian dudes
    First He was one Asian dude. . . .then they seems to switch his origin to another
    They both played their role excellently

Rocket River

likestohypeguy likes this.
  4. MykTek

MykTek Member

I binged the whole season and enjoyed it very much.
    Interesting story and pretty cool scifi/tech stuff. Enjoyed it.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Joe Carroll is back?! :)

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So.... they basically just merged Blade Runner and John Wick together right? At least that’s pretty much what the trailer seems to be going for.

Ridley Scott probably should get some royalties or something for this.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Watched the first couple of episodes yesterday afternoon before the game, still getting my footing on what's going but pretty interesting set up....I'll keep watching....

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Hispanic cop lady is an awful actress and character. Kill her off please.

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Came to post this. Dafuq were they thinking, when casting her. Shes cute and all but damn if she doesnt get nekkid, wtf is her purpose?

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True, though to be fair, it seems every character surrounding her arc is equally awful. Her Islamic partner, her mom/family, etc. Perhaps poor writing of that arc combined with strange acting.

She's smoking though.

EDIT, thinking about this more, the guy who plays the grandmother after first portraying a criminal, and then goes on to be booted up as the Dimi guy, etc. is spot on as an actor, and that's part of Ortega's story line. But otherwise, the Korvacs story line is acted/put together much better. Kovarcs himself is ... OK ... I mean he basically plays the same character as in The Killing (down to the cigarettes and everything... which is disappointing because he showed his acting range in House of Cards), but its not bad. The Poe guy is great. The friend with the daughter isn't amazing but admirable. And the meth and his wife (the Bancrofts) are really solid acting wise. Don't really love the female lawyer's acting though (actresses name is Tamara Taylor... she's was on Bones for years and was meh there, too).

Oh, and again, Ortega/Martha Higareda is smoking.

#30 JayZ750, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Saw episode 1. I'd call it uneven. They spent a lot of money building this bladerunner sort of world and then you get this or that little detail that seems too normal, like they didn't think out all the implications. Also, some of the acting has been bad. Some very cool elements to it too. I'll give it another chance or two.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This was a good watch. Acting and story could be a little cheesy but still fun sci-fi noir and very watchable.

13. JayZ750

Finished the second half of this.
    I think the middle episodes were probably the best.

Overall, really liked it. Certainly has its flaws...

BUT in a world where everything is Star Wars this and Star Wars that, it's a very solid and much needed sci-fi diversion.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Also just binged the whole season. I would say entertaining watch all the way through. I also agree that the middle episodes were the better of the season. I really don't like who they cast Ortega, no matter how hot she is. Some of her acting was a little cringey. It's not perfect television, but definitely an enjoyable watch.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

For a show about body switching the acting does need to be too notxh

Rocket River

16. JayZ750

Yeah. I'd say even Korvacs was off a bit.
    Like I definitely didn't get the same feel from his character as the Asian guy (that was the Hawaii 5-0 guy right... Will Yun Lee?) and as Joel Kinnaman.

Think I said it earlier, but again, Kinnaman basically played his character from the Killing.

Like why was he smoking all the time? I guess Ryker was a smoker so his body still craved it? Mannerisms. That kind of stuff. Think they could have spent more time having one person study the other. But my guess is that they didn't film them that way, so it was hard to do.

On the whole, I preferred Will Lee's performance to Kinnaman's.

But again... kind of nitpicking a bit. Overall, entertaining and a much needed addition to the sci-fi universe. And of course, given the underlying key thing everyone can do - switch bodies, go on ice for years, avoid death, etc - it allows for endless seasons of future tv here, if they so desire.

And to that point, I understand that Kinnaman will not be back for season 2... even though the character will be...

17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Google "Martha Higareda, full frontal. Altered carbon"

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, Joel Kinnaman!

Should be worth the pickup.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I couldn’t get into it really. Interesting premise but I don’t think it was well done and the show was all over the place. I didn’t even finish it. No clue where I left off at. Lost interest completely.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Another failed high budget netflix series.... The N takes another L.

Cant wait for Fox/Disney to start their streaming service.