1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Need Advice] Job Offer/Offer Deadline and Future Interviews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by D-Lite, Oct 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

So I'm an engineer at UT. This past week was our career fair and I got a lot of invitations for interviews. I had about 5 or so this week, and next week I have about 6.

Anyway, one of the companies gave me an offer for an internship, but the deadline to accept is October 16th. How do I go about telling the other companies that I interviewed with this past week that I have a deadline, as well as the companies that I will be interviewing with next week?

Also, after October 16th, the offer is considered 'competitive' which basically means someone else is offered that same position, and whoever accepts first will get the position.

Any help will be awesome!

Thanks

-D-lite

2. Fatty FatBastard

Ahem.

I believe you meant to say engineer major.

3. D-Lite

One more thing to add, the company that gave me the offer is one of the top on my list to work for.

4. D-Lite

yea i noticed that after I clicked submit, but no edit button for 'members' :)

5. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I'm a graduating senior this semester and have asked around through many sources for advice on this situation.

A lot of these companies will try to reel you in quick for full time offers, but it's in your best interest to ask for an extension to decide upon the full-time offer compensation package. This will give you more time to interview with other companies and fully evaluate all offers to make the best decision on where you want to work.

A simple request for an extension example:

Hi XX,

I am excited about the offer you recently extended, and have high interests in working for ABC Company. I feel confident I will make a significant contribution to the growth and development of ABC Company over the short and long term. However, to make the best possible choice on where I want to work for the next 20-30 years, I would like to request just a few more months, preferably November, to fully evaluate the starting package.

I have attached my most recent unofficial transcript and updated resume for your records.

Best Regards,
    XX

Good luck, man.

6. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

^ I re-read your situation and my solution was for a slightly different scenario. I missed out on the part that said after the offer deadline, the position would be offered to someone else. Honestly, if it's one of the top companies you want to work for, I'd say just go for it.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If it's a place you want to work and the pay is good, then why not. If not then ask for time to evaluate other offers. Otherwise just risk it and take your time.

8. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Talk to ECAC about it. I had a similar situation and they mentioned that if a company puts you in a tough spot, email them first. If they still don't agree to your request, Michael Powell can actually step in and ask to company to give you more time.

ECAC asks all companies to give students a generous deadline, but some companies like to do their own thing and give you only week or two to accept/decline.

However, if this company is at the top of your list, I don't see why you are hesitating in accepting the offer.

Also, you can tell the other companies you are interviewing with (assuming it is a company you want to work for) that you have another offer that must be accepted/declined by the 16th, and that any help in expediting this process will be much appreciated.

#8 thelasik, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Are you a ChE by any chance?

10. Asian Sensation

Tell the companies your interviewing with next weekend that you already have an offer in place and your strongly considering taking it but let them know your also very interested in working for their company if you really do. It gets them to hurry up and get on the ball and make you an offer if they want you.

11. D-Lite

Thanks for the advice guys.. im actually a Petroleum major