1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NBC] Parks And Recreation - Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

It'll be starting up in a couple of weeks. This is not what I wanted to hear:

[​IMG]

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.c...n-rough-cut-pilot-and-amy-poehlers-character/

Problems With Parks And Recreation

There's more trouble for Jeff Zucker and Ben Silverman. NBC's upcoming Universal Media Studios sitcom Parks And Recreation was supposed to be a real winner since the mockumentary comes from Greg Daniels and Michael Schur of The Office and stars Amy Poehler.

I say "supposed" because there are problems galore in the rough-cut pilot, according to a March 18th-dated "Consumer And Market Intelligence Research Summary" which I saw this weekend. Considering the show starts airing April 9th, can Parks And Recreation get fixed in time? You be the judge: here are some excerpts from the 12-page report (9 are charts and graphs):

• PARKS AND RECREATION’s overwhelming resemblance to THE OFFICE caused many viewers to simply see it as a “carbon copy” of a successful show. The pilot was seen as “predictable” and lacking in character development, even for a pilot. PARKS AND RECREATIONS needs to differentiate itself from THE OFFICE; otherwise it runs the risk of being seen as “derivative,” “forced,” and “unoriginal.”

• Expectations for this show are very high, especially among OFFICE viewers. Many had seen the promos and were expecting an “OFFICE-type mockumentary” with the same tone, but felt the pilot was too close and similar to the OFFICE. However, many OFFICE fans were quick to point out that THE OFFICE did not become their favorite show overnight. For many, the show grew on them overtime and viewers expect a similar pattern with PARKS & RECREATION and, given their excitement for the show, most are willing to give it a longer commitment than they would another new comedy. This goodwill is stronger than usual, but viewers will expect to see the show to be as good as THE OFFICE soon. Furthermore, labeling the show as being “from the producers of THE OFFICE” adds credibly to the show and helps raise viewers’ expectations.

• Focus needs to evolve away from the pit — consider showing Leslie [Amy Poehler] and her team dealing with various parks and recreation duties. There is a lot of interest in exploring the comedy potential in a government office. The bureaucracy that exists at this type of local government is “very believable” and viewers hoped it could provide for some quirky and silly situations. Based on the promos that are currently airing, most expect storylines to take place in parks around the city.

Characters

• Although many saw her as the “Michael Scott character [from The Office]”, Amy Poehler was well liked. SNL fans felt her character Leslie was a bit “too serious” and “too low-key” and many expected her to have more energy and enthusiasm, especially when she is getting drunk at the end of the show. Viewers appreciate her “big heart” and the fact that she is trying to help Ann and Andy.

• The show could use a genuinely likeable male lead. The lack of quality male characters was evident in both the Dial Test and Focus Groups. While Leslie, Ann and April are good characters; all the men in the show were seen as “sleazy” in one way or another. Because there are no “datable” men in the cast, there is little “romantic tension” or “interesting relationship potential” in the show.

Execution & Tune-out

• The beginning of the show needs to better explain the setting and situation. Many were confused as to the reasons and motivations behind the “documentary.” Many asked if it was about Leslie or Ann or the pit even given that the show opens on Ann and Andy and not Leslie.

• Pacing was seen as “slow”. 40% of Viewers felt the “pace of the show was too slow.” This was especially evident during the scenes in the conference room or offices of the municipal building.

• Good positive spikes in the opening scenes and during the classroom open forum session but positive spikes flatten during the scenes in Leslie’s office and when she meets Mark out on the patio (Approx Mins 8:30-9:30).

• Highest positive spike comes from Leslie falling into the pit.

• The last 6:30 (approx) suffer from lower positives and higher negatives as “slower” and “more tedious” scenes are featured. Ron’s opinion on the role of government and his discussion with Mark received low positives throughout. The conference room discussion about the committee’s name as the tag was “too long” and “too much of the same joke” for many viewers.

• High tune-out during the opening 4 minutes, especially during Ron’s description of public forums. Tune-outs resume after the classroom forum scene when the action takes place in Leslie’s office and out on the patio during her discussion and testimonials with Mark.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

NBC's reply:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/03/ben-silverman-p.html

'Parks and Recreation': Poor audience test results are normal, NBC's Ben Silverman says

Mar 23, 2009, 07:01 PM | by Tim Stack

Categories: Rumor Police!, Television, TV Biz

Reports of poor test results for NBC's new sitcom Parks and Recreation hit the web today but NBC Entertainment co-chair Ben Silverman tells EW these kinds of negative responses are not unusual for a new series. "All of the research we do around initial rough cuts is negative," Silverman says. "If you had seen the initial research on all of ours and our competitors' successful shows, it tends to be like that."

Silverman says he has "no idea" how the test reports were leaked. Parks and Recreation, which stars Amy Poehler and comes from The Office's Greg Daniels and Mike Schur, premieres on April 9. Poehler plays Leslie Knope, an ambitious but clueless parks department employee who hopes to rise within the local government of Pawnee, Ind. Rashida Jones and Aziz Ansari costar.

Daniels and Schur were originally assigned to pen an Office spin-off for NBC but developed Parks and Recreation instead. Silverman says, though, that he is still definitely interested in pursuing a spin-off of the Steve Carrell comedy series.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The trailers for this show look JUST LIKE The Office. I have no desire to watch it. What's the point?

I have an idea for a “new” show. It will be based on a stand up comedian living in New York. He has a crazy neighbor across the hall, a neurotic short bald pudgy friend, and a female friend who he dated for a short time a long time ago. The show will revolve around these 4 characters. Often times, it will be based on the 4 of them having lunch in a local diner.

Oh, and this show is NOTHING like Seinfeld. OK? NOTHING like Seinfeld.

#3 ima_drummer2k, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'm hopeful, but the previews don't have me pumped up..

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Rashida Jones?

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I didn't like The Office either the first few times I watched it. The previews looked funny to me though. It has a good cast. Who care's if its a mockumentary style show like the Office? Obviously that formula works.

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I don't understand this way of thinking. It doesn't have to be 100% original to be hilarious.

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

They left off the rest of his quote: "Especially at NBC where we put all sorts of crappy shows on the air"

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Will you be calling it "The Single Guy"?

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes, because PARKS and RECREATION are offices. :D

Seriously speaking... do you like 30 Rock? :confused:

I think 30 Rock is hilarious, and I thought it was like The Office at first, but it wasn't.

11. aghast

aghast Member

Except they already did that. Friends tweaked the Seinfeld formula only mildly, and went on to great ratings. Then came 2 Guys, 1 Cup & A Pizza Place, and all the other derivatives that flooded the market (and made money) in the years after.

Focus testers are, by definition, people who think earning twenty bucks for several hours of work is a great bargain. They're mostly unemployed; it's either sit in on the test screenings or donate plasma. They're a poor barometer for the success of a comedy show that might rely on low-key/high-brow humor.

If Aziz Ansari is in this, I'll give it a try.

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I just love me som Rashida Jones. I don't care about anything else.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

other than the mockumentary aspect, how does this look just like the office?

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i saw the commercials and i thought it was similar to the office which i love..i think i may give this a shot for amy poehler and rashida jones alone.

but hopefully its funny and can stand on its own even if it is a carbon copy

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aziz Ansari is hilarious. I will give the show a shot.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't ever let the results of focus testing guide you. There are a lot of great shows that did poor in focus groups. The focus group results on Seinfeld were terrible, it's a good thing nobody listened to these people with too much free time.

Now, if you don't like this show because it reminds you of the Office, I can sort of see it. The mockumentary style shouldn't be the problem though. Watch Trailer Park Boys and Summer Heights High. Those shows work great with the same style.

17. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

The Office itself is a copy. So is half of TV today. Original thought is rare these days in almost every medium.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Exactly...how many shows can there be about a dumb dad, hot wife and smart ass kids?

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Aubrey Plaza is an up in comer who I really like (the girl with the blue sweater). She's on that Mayne Street web show Kenny Mayne has. I liked her instantly when I first saw her on some web shorts about this talk show hosted by a soccer mom from her minivan. You can see it on this acting reel I found, it's the part where she walks up to the van and just practically growls at her step mom.

NSFW language
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oE60_zmwr6w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oE60_zmwr6w&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

That's what she said.