1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBC Cancels 'West Wing' After 7 Seasons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Never watched one episode.

http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dyna...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-01-22-13-56-51

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) -- The new president on "The West Wing" will be a real short-timer: NBC announced Sunday it was pulling the plug on the Emmy-winning political drama in May after seven seasons.

NBC, struggling to regain its footing after the worst season in its history, also outlined several midseason schedule changes - including the moves of popular dramas "Law & Order" and "Las Vegas."

"The West Wing" announcement wasn't much of a surprise. Although this season's story line with a presidential campaign involving a Democrat played by Jimmy Smits and Republican portrayed by Alan Alda has been strong critically, ratings have sunk with its move to Sunday nights.

The decision to cancel it was made before actor John Spencer, who played former presidential chief of staff Leo McGarry, died of a heart attack Dec. 16, said Kevin Reilly, NBC entertainment president.

"There's a point when you look at the ratings and say, it feels like it's time," Reilly said.

The series finale will be May 14, preceded by a one-hour retrospective. The campaign to replace the fictional Josiah Bartlet as president will be settled, NBC said.

Producers Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, who created the show and guided it through its early years, will not be involved in the finale, Reilly said.

"The West Wing" won four Emmy Awards for best television drama in a row for its tales of political intrigue. At its prime, it also offered NBC two valuable benefits: critical acclaim and the most upscale audience on television, an important drawing point for advertisers.

NBC's revamped schedule offered veteran "Law & Order" producer Dick Wolf good and bad news. NBC is putting Wolf's new drama "Conviction," about young prosecutors in New York, on Friday's schedule starting March 3. But it is moving "Law & Order" up an hour to Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET - competing directly with ABC's blockbuster "Lost."

Wolf, who has had at least one show on NBC's schedule for 21 years, shrugged when asked about the move.

"It's like a long-term marriage," he said. "There are stresses and strains intermittently, but we are kind of stuck with each other."

NBC is also moving "Las Vegas" from Monday to Friday starting in March. Donald Trump is changing addresses again, with "The Apprentice" moving to Monday where it will be preceded by the Howie Mandel-hosted game show "Deal or No Deal."

The network has two more midseason shows: "Heist," a cops-and-robbers drama from the director of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," and "Teachers," a comedy about a high school English teacher.

"The Office" will go off the air at the end of March so star Steve Carell can film a movie, Reilly said. He said he also hasn't figured out what to do with the ill-fated "Friends" spinoff "Joey," which has 12 new episodes done but no place on the schedule.

"NBC is stable and our vital signs are encouraging," Reilly said. "Most predictions were that we were going to go from bad to worse this year, and that hasn't happened."

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Good riddance. Boring show that was nothing more than a glorified caricature of the Clinton administration.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'll miss it.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Boring show.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Never watched....

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why would you post about something that you never watched? By the way I never watched an episode either.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You know what might have saved the show, letting the viewers vote on the next President. I can't believe they didn't think about that.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

...or let the President pick out the Senate and say "You're fired!"...I can't believe they never considered that...

10. insane man

insane man Member

the most amazing drama on tv that i've watched in a long time.

i've never bought a dvd set of a tv show...but i'll probably end up getting all 7 seasons one day.

11. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

This show should have been canceled last year. It has been close to dead in terms of ratings for a while now.

Other shows NBC should cancel:
    ER
    Law & Order (original)
    Law & Order (CI)
    Joey
    Will & Grace

#11 Phreak3, Jan 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Never seen a single episode. Is this the show where Jina Davis (correct name? Beatle Juice chick?) was a president or something?

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

No, that's "Commander in Chief." Never seen an episode through, though.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

my thoughts exactly

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

The most upsetting news for me in that entire release was the news that they're moving Las Vegas to Friday night. Death night for TV. I REALLY hope it survives and gets moved to a better time slot, because a TV world without Nikki Cox, Molly Sims, and Vanessa Marcil is a world I don't want to be in.

16. Rockets34Legend

I will post whatever I please. Someone else who has seen the show might want to see the news of it being canceled.

I see this as news, I post.

#16 Rockets34Legend, Jan 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  17. Rockets34Legend

The only one out of your list that's still hanging with the big boys is ER.

They were ranked #11 for the week of Jan. 9-15.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This was very bad news for me. I am a West Wing addict. I love the show. It's a shame that the ratings had fallen in the past couple of seasons. I can totally understand when such brain stimulating shows like "Ice Skating With the Stars" and "Dancing With the Stars" are allowed to continue.

It's a sad state this country is in when mind numbing tripe like "Fear Factor" is allowed to live on. The dumbing down of America continues in full force.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I still like ER. Grey's Anatomy on the other hand sucks ass.

20. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I like a lot of the newer actresses on ER. That girl from Freaks and Geeks, that girl from News Radio, and that Girl from Bend if Like Beckham.